transcation logs disk is going to fill RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In my exchange organization, one of my drive has transcation logs are filling (growing), only 500 Mb space is remaining, what i should do to prevent down the exchange. 7 Gb trancationa log size disk.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:55 AM

Answers

• Well, expanding the LUN or moving the logs (USING EXCHANGE !!) to a larger location should be on your to-do list. 7GB for your logs isn’t very much to have allocated.
    That your logs are not truncating means your backups are not running.
    What backup application are you using? Is it Exchange aware? Have you raised a ticket with the backup application vendor.

"pawanmadan12345" wrote in message news:21edb010-116e-42dd-a834-524c979fb44c...

Hi

In my exchange organization, one of my drive has transcation logs are filling (growing), only 500 Mb space is remaining, what i should do to prevent down the exchange. 7 Gb trancationa log size disk.

Mark Arnold, Exchange MVP.
    • Proposed as answer by emma.yoyo Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, February 3, 2011 1:43 AM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:58 PM
  • HI,

If the role of the server is Mailbox/Public Folder then you need to go for Increase in Disk space, as Mark's updated make sure backup is running successfully and logs are getting truncated. Look for the Event ID 224 on Appplication event log to see if the logs are truncated successfully..

If the role of the server is just for Routing Emails then you can enable Circular logging on the Storage group properties, Note: Not recommended for Mailbox/Public folder server.

Ravi | MCSE Messaging - 2003. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:41 PM
    1. If your backup is running you are best to let it finish
    2. However, if you are seriously worried about running out of disk space, then as Mark recommended I would look for another drive that has enough space to support much more than the 7GB of log files i.e. say 30-40GB free and then move them via Exchange.  I don't know what version of Exchange you are running but here is an article on 2003 and its very similar in other versions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915
    3. NOTE:  When you do the move of the log files the databases will be taken offline for the duration of the move so this means that users will not have access and you should stop your backup process because it will fail since the path will be different.  Once the databases are brought back online post move of the logs reconfigure ( i.e. I would setup a new job just to ensure it has the new paths) and restart your backup job.
    4. Now if you don't have time for that and are in a super bind then you could turn on circular logging http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314605 for a short time until you can resolve your space issue, HOWEVER this is not recommended because it does limit your ability to recover AND your backup product will not be able to complete an online Exchange Aware backup.  So only reason I would do this is IF you are about to run out of space and have no other choice.  This will clear up space and then I would move the logs to a larger drive, turn off circular backup and kick off a backup job.  Of course you want to monitor the backup job to ensure it finishes and if it doesn't check your event logs to see whats happening, i.e. could be a database corruption issue or could be some other problem with your backup product.

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:46 PM

All replies

• Well, expanding the LUN or moving the logs (USING EXCHANGE !!) to a larger location should be on your to-do list. 7GB for your logs isn’t very much to have allocated.
    That your logs are not truncating means your backups are not running.
    What backup application are you using? Is it Exchange aware? Have you raised a ticket with the backup application vendor.

"pawanmadan12345" wrote in message news:21edb010-116e-42dd-a834-524c979fb44c...

Hi

Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:58 PM
  • HI,

If the role of the server is Mailbox/Public Folder then you need to go for Increase in Disk space, as Mark's updated make sure backup is running successfully and logs are getting truncated. Look for the Event ID 224 on Appplication event log to see if the logs are truncated successfully..

If the role of the server is just for Routing Emails then you can enable Circular logging on the Storage group properties, Note: Not recommended for Mailbox/Public folder server.

Ravi | MCSE Messaging - 2003. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Thanks for reply,

backup is running, but it happened when backup has failed, but what we can do urgently to resolve this issue because if backup is run, it will take 2-3 hours to truncate the logs, what we can do this on very urgent basis, so that within 2-4 minutes it can be done.

Thanks

Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:52 PM
    1. If your backup is running you are best to let it finish
    2. However, if you are seriously worried about running out of disk space, then as Mark recommended I would look for another drive that has enough space to support much more than the 7GB of log files i.e. say 30-40GB free and then move them via Exchange.  I don't know what version of Exchange you are running but here is an article on 2003 and its very similar in other versions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821915
    3. NOTE:  When you do the move of the log files the databases will be taken offline for the duration of the move so this means that users will not have access and you should stop your backup process because it will fail since the path will be different.  Once the databases are brought back online post move of the logs reconfigure ( i.e. I would setup a new job just to ensure it has the new paths) and restart your backup job.
    4. Now if you don't have time for that and are in a super bind then you could turn on circular logging http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314605 for a short time until you can resolve your space issue, HOWEVER this is not recommended because it does limit your ability to recover AND your backup product will not be able to complete an online Exchange Aware backup.  So only reason I would do this is IF you are about to run out of space and have no other choice.  This will clear up space and then I would move the logs to a larger drive, turn off circular backup and kick off a backup job.  Of course you want to monitor the backup job to ensure it finishes and if it doesn't check your event logs to see whats happening, i.e. could be a database corruption issue or could be some other problem with your backup product.

Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Exactly our point.
    The size is nowhere near big enough. To allow for backup failures you should have three to four times the space that one day of logs takes. If that’s 10GB of logs a day you want to think about 30 to 40GB of space in the logs LUN. It’s funny how, with all these overheads in LUN space a SAN very quickly becomes a pretty financially viable option.

"pawanmadan12345" wrote in message news:a0d18a3f-ff1b-44b8-8e0e-7b111f36f472...

Thanks for reply,

backup is running, but it happened when backup has failed, but what we can do urgently to resolve this issue because if backup is run, it will take 2-3 hours to truncate the logs, what we can do this on very urgent basis, so that within 2-4 minutes it can be done.

Thanks

Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Hi pawanmadan,

Any updates?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Thanks for reply,

And Sorry for delay, i have moved the transcation logs to another drive that has 100 GB free space and it has resolved the issue, i have not enabled circular logging because of all of you said above that it will limit to recover of exchange.

Thanks

Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:18 AM