SQL Service Not Found in Services RRS feed

• Question

• hello everyone, i want ask about service sql server (SSMS) in services windows. I already installed ssms 19 but always can't login. After that, i search in services.msc in windows and my ssms service is not found. Only SQL Server VSS Writer found in my services and no one others services about sql founded in my services. How can i add ssms service in my services.msc? Thank you 
    Monday, May 18, 2020 11:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• SSMS is the Sql Server Managment Studio.  I would not expect to see anything in services for it
    Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:30 AM
  • yup but you need to active the service ssms in services if you want to connect it and the problem i not have that service when installed it

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:29 PM
  • the spesific error is error 2.. maybe you can browse it for sure
    Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:34 PM
  • You misunderstood, SSMS is just a simple tool without any services. You have to install the SQL Server database engine, e.g. the free Express Edition

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-downloads

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Enric Vives Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeco Alviano Tuesday, May 19, 2020 1:10 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:34 PM
  • SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) is an "application" for managing SQL Server services.  There is not a windows "service" for SSMS.

If you are trying to install SQL Server database engine (service), you installed the wrong program.  Please see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-downloads

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:39 PM
  • i already download it and installed it from that website

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 12:57 PM
  • i use the developer edition for sure and installed it
    Tuesday, May 19, 2020 1:01 PM
  • so basicly, from what you said and i pull the conclusion

i need to install sql server 2019 and installed ssms after that and after that i don't need service sql in services.msc?

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 1:07 PM
  • ahh i got it, i just reinstalled that sql server 2019 and the ssms.. and when i installed sql server 2019, that service immediately installed in my system and this is the service what i mean missing from the first

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 1:17 PM
  • ahh i got it, i just reinstalled that sql server 2019 and the ssms.. and when i installed sql server 2019, that service immediately installed in my system and this is the service what i mean missing from the first

One more note: when you work with the services related to SQL Server, you should not use the Service applet, but use the SQL Server Configuration Manager, which is customised for all needs of the services.

Also, you posted this to the Service Broker forum, but the question is completely out of scope for this forum. Service Broker is a special component of SQL Server for asynchronous messages. Supposedly some moderator will move this thread later.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:17 PM