none
How are In-Place Holds affected when an employee leaves the company? RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2016 on-premise environment. We have a list of users that we've had to put In-Place Holds on for possible legal action. What happens in regards to the In-Place Holds when one of the employee leaves the company? If we delete their AD account, the email account becomes "orphaned", but still exists in Exchange.  What happens to the email account from there?  What happens if we ever re-attach that email account to another AD account?  Even without a corresponding AD account, does the email account that has the In-Place Hold still retain all the emails, no purging of that account happens?
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 4:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by BClark22 Friday, September 6, 2019 1:12 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 7:03 PM
  • Ahhh...somehow I missed that little nugget of information. Thanks for the heads up! So let me ask this, what if we export that users mailbox when it has an In-Place Hold on it? Does everything that the In-Place Hold has been maintaining get exported also? Thanks!
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 8:25 PM
  • yes, When you export the whole mailbox , all the contents will be exported as well.

S_K_P

• Marked as answer by BClark22 Friday, September 6, 2019 1:13 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2019 10:40 PM
  • yes, When you export the whole mailbox , all the contents will be exported as well.

S_K_P

+1 on this. Even if you "purge" the items on the in-place hold from Outlook/OWA, you could still find them in the DiscoveryHold sub-folder under the Recoverable Items.

Below are my test results:

1. eDiscovery search settings and results:

2. See the explanations in the snapshot below:

3. Check the results:

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by BClark22 Friday, September 6, 2019 1:13 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2019 7:57 AM