Auto Archiving legacy emails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone could help me with an issue I have with existing emails and autoarchiving in Exchange 2010 SP3 RU5?

We have just migrated from Exchange 2003 to above Exchange 2010 and have also just introduced Auto-Archiving for all 5000 users worldwide. The only Retention Tag we currently have is to move all emails to Archive after 6 months. Simple!

We plan to also introduce personal Retention Tags where users can select i.e. 'keep for 3 years', 'keep for 5 years', keep for 7 years' etc...

One of the reasons for personal tags are because Legal wish to introduce the policy to delete all emails after 12 months that have not been personally tagged by the user to keep for xx years.

I have a dilema and an issue with this! If Legal introduce delete all emails after 12 months that have not been personally tagged, that is asking all 5000 users to manually tag xx years of emails or they will lose all emails next year when we implement the deletion tag that are 12 months old +.

Any Exchange admin will tell you that users are not going to do this despite how many emails you send out advising them to do so and there will be tears when this policy is introduced.

I wondered if we just applied this deletion tag to all new emails from the deletion tag go-live date only. Is there anyway of 'ring fencing' or segmenting all old emails prior to this date that a retention tag does not apply to? Or, can we create a subfolder in every persons Inbox, move all old (existing) emails into this new folder and then exclude this folder name from the deletion tag?

I can foresee tears from the users and IT being blamed for the changes (again). Does anyone have any ideas how you or someone you know manages this? I am sure I am not the only admin of a company who introduces Archiving and needs a deletion policy.

Your help would be much appreciated indeed.

Regards

Danny

Monday, July 28, 2014 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Base on my knowledge, there is no direct way can achieve your requirement.

As a workaround, you can create a new folder and move all old emails to this folder manually, and then apply personal tag to this folder, the other default folders such as the Inbox, Deleted Items, and Sent Items.. you can apply the retention policy tag which you need to introduce to delete emails.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Base on my knowledge, there is no direct way can achieve your requirement.

As a workaround, you can create a new folder and move all old emails to this folder manually, and then apply personal tag to this folder, the other default folders such as the Inbox, Deleted Items, and Sent Items.. you can apply the retention policy tag which you need to introduce to delete emails.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 9:47 AM
  • Hi Niko,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that personal tags can be applied to certain folders as you mentioned but this will not have any effect on the overall issue:

How are we going to roll out the deletion policy asking every user to apply a retention tag first? Some users will be happy to do this but not all. Some don't read their email properly and will miss the warning emails we send to them.

I was hoping to a more technical solution using Exchange that IT can manage without affecting the users!

I will raise your answer with the Legal department and suggest we re-think this overall policy.

Thank you again,

Danny

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:36 AM