none
Outlook Anywhere over internet. RRS feed

• Question

• My CAL server is located in corporate office and all my branch offices are connected through point 2 point links, now I want to connect all my user’s outlook (from branch offices)  over internet(using outlook anywhere) to avoid unnecessary traffic on P2P links, we have ADC, secondary DNS installed in branch offices, now secondary DNS on each location resolves local IP for CAL and users connected through P2P connection, please help me how I can access emails using Outlook Anywhere over the internet.

(I am running MS Exchange 2007 with SP3 on Windows 2008 R2, Mailbox server is running in CCR environment)

- Z@hid

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:15 AM

All replies

• Did you tried accessing the emails from open internet and not from branch. Try configuring outlook.

Thanks Prem P Rana MCSA Messaging 2003 MCSE 2003 Server MCTS MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 Gurgaon, India http://blogs.msexchange-experts.com

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:38 AM
  • Yes Outlook Anywhere services are working fine over internet, but i need a solution to access email from branch office via internet but DNS from each branch resolve private IP of CAS server

- Z@hid

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:02 PM
  • Hi Zahid,

Following points are to be considered when you want to enable Outlook Anywhere

1. Enable Outlook anywhere

Enable-OutlookAnywhere -Server 'Exch1' -ExternalHostname 'site.contoso.org' -DefaultAuthenticationMethod 'Basic' -SSLOffloading $false

2. Configure a valid SSL certificate for the external urls (including autodiscover url)

3. Firewall and DNS changes:

A public DNS record for the external host name and autodiscover you are using for Outlook Anywhere

A public IP address on the firewall that the public DNS record resolves to

• A NAT or publishing rule to allow SSL/HTTPS connections to reach the Client Access server

Regards from ExchangeOnline Windows Administrator's Area

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:17 PM
  • My Outlook Anywhere services are working fine over the internet, but i need my branch office users to connect outlook using "Outlook Anywhere" services over the internet, currently users are connected through WAN (point 2 point circuit) because DNS resolve private IP of CAS server.

- Z@hid

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:32 PM
  • Z@hid,

If outlook anywhere is configured correctly, you can use it at outlook. Hope this link will help you in configuration: http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/outlook-help/use-outlook-anywhere-to-connect-to-your-exchange-server-without-vpn-HP010102444.aspx

Regards from ExchangeOnline Windows Administrator's Area

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Dear ManU, you are not getting my point, let me elaborate a little more.

Users over the internet are able to connect their outlook using “Outlook Anywhere Services” without any issues.

All my branch offices are connected with my corporate office (where my MS Exchange solution is hosted and on VLAN 7, all other server that need to access from branch offices are also on VLAN 7), obviously I have A records entry in DNS for my CAS so local users can connected with exchange, we have corporate wide ADS/DNS infrastructure, now all branch offices can access VLAN 7 using intra office connectivity, I want to connect outlook users from branch offices over the internet rather than using intra-office connectivity; DNS in branch offices resolve private IP for my CAS server (IP that is hosted on VLAN7).

Please let me know if you need any additional information on my scenario.

- Z@hid

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Hi  ,

Please understand the order of Outlook looking for autodiscover.

White Paper: Exchange 2007 Autodiscover Service

How the Autodiscover Service Works with Clients:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332063(v=exchg.80).aspx

Wendy Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:40 AM
  • I am not using autodiscover Services, users need to supply exchange server settings manually. 

- Z@hid

Monday, March 4, 2013 10:39 AM