none
Retention policy for default folder? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am not able to create a retention policy which deletes e-mails in a "Deleted Items" Folder after x days. In my previous company running on-premise Exchange I had this policy and it was applying to the "Deleted Items" folder. Now in hybrid setup this is not possible.

Policy is applied to my mailbox.

Any ideas why?

Cheers

Monday, July 1, 2019 10:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• You need a tag of the "Deleted items" type, not a Personal one.
    • Marked as answer by Tonito Dux Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:56 AM
    Monday, July 1, 2019 5:52 PM
  • Retention policies are per default folder, as mentioned. Still available in both on premises and online. Default policies are for other folders, and personal are for end users to set. I don't like personal ones, if your company has a consistent policy.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/retention-policies

NOTICE: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 2:17 AM
  • As Vasil L. Michev said, for default folder, you should create a Default retention policy rather than personal tags:

After assign new retention policy to a mailbox, you can use command below to force update it:

Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity "Chris" 

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Thank you all, this was the solution.

How can I speed up applying the policy to my mailbox, 2 hours in and i still do not see it but have applied it to my mailbox.

Thanks,

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

You can use command below to force update it:

Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity "Chris" 

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, July 4, 2019 1:34 AM