DFS upgrade - Windows 2000 to Windows 2012 R2, cross Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Is it possible to do a direct migration between a Windows 2000 DFS environment in one domain (Domain A), which presently holds ALL DFS configuration and also hosts the NAS-connected data, to a Windows 2012 R2 environment (Domain B) on a different domain, with a two way trust established.

Are there are schema differences, DFS version setup or other gotcha which needs special consideration?

Additionally, at present users from Domain B can access the Win2000 DFS namespace via the trust and a set of security groups replicated via Quest Migrator between Domain A to Domain B.  If after the DFS migration Domain A is decommissioned and the shares with the data brought into Domain B, what access permissions issue could potentially be encountered?

This is a new environment for me and still picking up how it's all configured, but would appreciate any thoughts on the above in the meantime.

Regards,

Martin

Monday, July 16, 2018 10:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Martin,

May I ask you mean the domain A is DFS  2000 mode, right?

What's the OS for your old dfs server?

You want to achieve the dfs domain migration? Is the dfs domain based dfs ? If so, for DFS configurations you may have to recreate them as the domain name is changed. And I also suggest you could reconfigure the permission manually.

And according to your description, Domain B could access the old dfs server in domainA at first. But after migration, dfs namespace should have changed. Besides, you have moved to the new server 2012. So for domain B users, they access the new dfs server in the same domain then. It is recommended you reset the permission for the users in such scenario.

You may refer to the articles below:

Migrating your DFS Namespaces in three (sorta) easy steps

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2008/01/15/migrating-your-dfs-namespaces-in-three-sorta-easy-steps.aspx

And also here is the thread discussed before, you may take a look.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/93f74f83-59db-41c3-8860-bb02b58437da/migrating-dfs-to-new-forest

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Mary Dong Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by M. Franqueira Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:31 PM
    Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:03 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.
    Best Regards,
    Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:57 AM
  • Hi Mary,

Yes it was thanks.  The links provided also cleared up a few misconceptions on my part.  All that I needed was answered.

Thanks again!

Martin

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:32 PM