Replicating 2003 Public Folder to new 2010 Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the process of bringing a new 2010 server into our 2003 organization.  So far so good, CAS, HT and Mailbox roles are installed, but I now need to look at replicating all my Public Folders to the 2010 box.

I'd prefer to add a replica for now as I have users on both 2003 and (shortly) 2010, and it seems there are some funnies with 2010 OWA not displaying the content of Public Folders that aren't replicated to 2010.

So, what's the suggested way to initiate the replication please?

It seems I have a choice of using the 2003 ESM or the "AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1" script.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:54 PM

Answers

• Hi!

you can use the EMC or EMS to achieve this.

If you're using the script you should run it like this:

AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\NAMEOFPF" -ServerToAdd "exchange2010server"

You should run this command for every top-level public folder that you've got. (just "\" won't work, since it is disregarded by the script).

AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\NON_IPM_Subtree" -ServerToAdd "exchange2010server"

Just to make sure that you've got the system folders as well, you could also run this. Just keep in mind that you don't need all the system folders; you can opt to replicate only OAB for instance.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Paul,

this is actually a "common" issue during replication. (well common is maybe a bit exagerated, but you get the point).

Last time I was faced with this issue, I've used the tips from the guys over @ redmon:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2008/01/10/3404629.aspx

the case you're having (Element 0 in the multivalue property is invalid); is explained in the article.

Worth reading!

Greets,

Michael

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi!

you can use the EMC or EMS to achieve this.

If you're using the script you should run it like this:

AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\NAMEOFPF" -ServerToAdd "exchange2010server"

You should run this command for every top-level public folder that you've got. (just "\" won't work, since it is disregarded by the script).

AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\NON_IPM_Subtree" -ServerToAdd "exchange2010server"

Just to make sure that you've got the system folders as well, you could also run this. Just keep in mind that you don't need all the system folders; you can opt to replicate only OAB for instance.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Hi

Start with adding the replica with the command that Michael posted

Once the replica is added the next step is to move the replica from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. To do this, jump to scripts directory and run following command.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts>.\MoveAllReplicas.ps1 -Server "Exchange2003" -NewServer "Exchange2010"

For completing the process move the public folder hierarchy to the new Administrative Group

Jonas Andersson | Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog | Follow me on twitter: jonand82
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Thanks both.  I decided to use ExFolder.exe to go bit by bit to begin with.  We have around 100gb of Public Folders and I'm not familiar yet with how much more or less efficient the database/log usage is with 2010 so I didn't really fancy kicking of that amount of replication in one hit - so one parent folder at a time.

The replication is, broadly speaking, working, but I have had a handful of errors logged like this:

The store driver couldn't deliver the public folder replication message "Folder Content Backfill Response (MAIL01-IS@domain.com" because the following error occurred: Property: [0x6751000b] , PropertyErrorCode: AccessDenied, PropertyErrorDescription: ..

The store driver couldn't deliver the public folder replication message "Folder Content Backfill Response (MAIL01-IS@domain.com)" because the following error occurred: Property validation failed. Property = [{00020329-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}:'Keywords'] Categories

Error = Element 0 in the multivalue property is invalid...

Where mail01 is the Exchange 2003 server.

I'm not seeing very much on here or Google about what may be causing that, nor do I know how to tell which folder/message is causing the error - any info would be great.

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:40 PM
  • Paul,

this is actually a "common" issue during replication. (well common is maybe a bit exagerated, but you get the point).

Last time I was faced with this issue, I've used the tips from the guys over @ redmon:

the case you're having (Element 0 in the multivalue property is invalid); is explained in the article.

Worth reading!

Greets,

Michael

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:28 PM
  • Paul,

Worth reading!

Greets,

Michael

Thanks Michael, that's rather reassuring but obviously brings another bunch of questions :)

If the replication has failed for certain folders/items due to those errors, will it retry automatically or do I need to do something?

Also the article makes it sound very simple to go through those debugging steps "To find out why your backfill response is failing in the store driver, set the PipelineTracingSenderAddress to match the SMTP address of the public folder store that's sending the backfill response. Then set ContentConversionTracingEnabled to $true and PipelineTracingEnabled to $true, and reproduce the problem."

Easy when you know how to do so, which the article doesn't seem to go into.  I'd be really grateful for any sort of "dummies guide" on what to set and then how to reset it when I'm done - still very new to Exchange 2010 and whilst I've no problem with the CLI it obviously makes it a bit more difficult to change a setting if you don't know what to set it back to afterwards.

Thanks, really appreciate the info.

EDIT - this seems to cover most of it?  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125018.aspx but how do I find out which folders are having the issue?
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Paul,

that link seems to cover it all, indeed :-)

Finding out which folders are having the issue is a bit trickier. You could compare the folder count on either side to see where there's a mismatch.
    Afterwards - AFAIK - you'll have to use Message Tracking if you want to see (in detail) what messages caused an issue.

It's easier - in this case - to "reset" the Categories as stated in the first blog I've talked about.

Good luck with it!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:37 PM
  • Paul,

that link seems to cover it all, indeed :-)

Finding out which folders are having the issue is a bit trickier. You could compare the folder count on either side to see where there's a mismatch.
    Afterwards - AFAIK - you'll have to use Message Tracking if you want to see (in detail) what messages caused an issue.

It's easier - in this case - to "reset" the Categories as stated in the first blog I've talked about.

Good luck with it!

Crikey!  I was assuming the logfiles from those commands would mention the folder path somewhere in them :)

Can I just clarify, is each error relating to a folder or an individual item?

We have tens of thousands of Public Folders so a dozen items is a lot smaller deal than a dozen folders.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Paul,

if I'm correct, it's an item :-)

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:24 PM
  • Paul,

if I'm correct, it's an item :-)

Fantastic, I'll take a look when I'm in the office tomorrow but if it's per item that's promising.  Thank you very much for your help.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:47 PM