none
File Location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have a user within the organisation that has moved a file from a folder to a newly created folder.

They seem to have lost track of where they had originally transferred the file from (original folder location).

Is there a way I could find out where the original file location?

Thanks

D

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 10:47 AM

All replies

• Hello,

If you have enabled AD audit logging you might see it there.

Id tou have Shadow Copies enabled (Previous Versions) you can search for the folder in a previous version of the folder hierarchy.

Another way is to browse or search for the folder within an older backup, then you’ll find it’s original location.

Best regards,

Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:02 AM
  • Hi,

If you have configured Volume Shadow Copy - you can have a look in there.

If you do not have configured volume shadow copy you can use your backup software and take a deeper look by simulation a file-level restore.

regards, pat

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:08 AM
  • Hi Leon

Thanks for your response, VSS would show me the files within that particular folder right?

If the file has been moved to a new folder, how would I be able to locate its original location.

File created in 'Location A' (original location) moved to 'Location B' by user after a year

User cannot remember original location (location A) after a year, what could I use that would show me that the user had created the file in 'Location A' to begin with?

Thanks

D

Friday, September 20, 2019 3:47 PM
  • Basically browse into one older ”previous version” (shadow copy) then perform a search for the folder name, it might take long depending on how big your file structure is, but eventually your folder should be found.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Friday, September 20, 2019 3:51 PM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:48 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.
    If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, September 25, 2019 5:57 AM