SLQ + SCCM on same Server or Not RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

At present we are running CB 1906 on Server 2012R2 with SQL 2016 all on 1 primary server. This all sits on HyperV.  We have 1 site with approx. 500 endpoints. 

I want to migrate our installation onto Server 2019 with the same version of CB with the view to upgrade in the future.

As I have never performed an installation of CB and I really don’t know SQL the migration seem very daunting to me. To this, we have listed the help of an outside company to assist with the migration

My question. They have suggested building 2 server and separating out SQL and CB onto two separate servers and I am questioning this.  Is this configuration really needed, what are the benefits, will it make my admin tasks and upgrades in the future more difficult?  Any form of advice and opinions with be more than welcomed

Best regards, Wayne

Thursday, May 28, 2020 9:16 AM

All replies

• This is a bit old now but still 99% applicable: https://stevethompsonmvp.wordpress.com/2014/12/20/why-you-should-not-use-remote-sql-server-with-configmgr-2012/

Also, keep in mind that 50 devices is a small deployment and I could successfully run ConfigMgr on a laptop to support that many clients.

Final note is that I would never recommend a migration for this but would instead backup and restore the site.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, May 28, 2020 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Jason, it is not recommended to use a remote database especially you only have 500 endpoints.
    With a remote database, you are adding an extra server and extra complexity into the project.
    If your SQL instance is remote there is more configuration required in terms of security, and setting up SQL Server Reporting Services (for SCCM reporting) can be a little head-wrecking.

Regards,
    Allen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 29, 2020 2:53 AM