none
Backup Exchange 2013 CU15 DAG

Question

• Hi Folks,

In my environmet, I have (Vmware virtual) 2 x Windows 2012 Exchange 2013 CU15 servers in a DAG configuration.

Unfortunatley, one server has failed due a a major hardware issue. So currently only running 1 server. Mailboxes are in a healthy state, but due to the other server shutdown, I have "1" Bad copy count.

I am running out of space and used Veeam 9.0 to run a backup with  transaction logs enabled. But after a succesful backup the logs were not truncated.

My question now is Exchange not going to trancate logs because the other DAG member is down?

I ran this command Get-MailboxDatabase -Status | fl name, *backup*

Name                           : All Staff
    BackupInProgress               : False
    SnapshotLastFullBackup         : True
    SnapshotLastIncrementalBackup  :
    SnapshotLastDifferentialBackup :
    SnapshotLastCopyBackup         : True
    LastFullBackup                 : 15/04/2017 10:16:47 PM
    LastIncrementalBackup          :
    LastDifferentialBackup         :
    LastCopyBackup                 : 06/08/2016 11:09:48 PM
    RetainDeletedItemsUntilBackup  : True

Name                           : Directors & Executives
    BackupInProgress               : False
    SnapshotLastFullBackup         : True
    SnapshotLastIncrementalBackup  :
    SnapshotLastDifferentialBackup :
    SnapshotLastCopyBackup         : True
    LastFullBackup                 : 15/04/2017 10:16:47 PM
    LastIncrementalBackup          :
    LastDifferentialBackup         :
    LastCopyBackup                 : 06/08/2016 11:09:48 PM
    RetainDeletedItemsUntilBackup  : True

• Edited by hanesh Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:58 AM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi

You could turn on circular logging on both and dismount/mount the db's to truncate the logs, after that turn it off again and then do a full backup.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 5:21 PM
  • Yes, logs won't get purged here as the other server is down.

When backup is initiated, backup software marks a log for check point. After the backup is completed, the logs which are backed up and which are within the checkpoint will only get purged after they are successfully copied/replayed to the passive DB. So, as your other server is down, Logs won't get purged.

You could either try enabling circular logging or remove the DB copy for the server which is down and then after the server is back online, add the copy back and allow it to reseed.

For more info about how exchange backup works refer to links below:

Everything You Need to Know About Exchange Backups* – Part 1

Pavan Maganti ~ ( Exchange | 2003/2007/2010/E15(2013)) ~~ Please remember to click “Vote As Helpful" if it really helps and "Mark as Answer” if it answers your question, “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. ~~ This Information is provided is "AS IS" and confers NO Rights!!

Friday, April 21, 2017 10:14 AM