none
Mac clients using Entourage and Outlook experiencing delayed email RRS feed

• Question

• We recently transitioned to Exchange 2010 (14.01.0218.013), which is running on Server 2008 R2, single machine, no DAG (it's a small user group, 100 email accounts). We have a mixed environment of Mac and PC users. We have a small number of Mac users (3-4) that are experiencing a delay receiving some, but not all, email (anywhere from a few hours to a day) when they use Entourage EWS or Outlook 2011 for Mac. However, they get the emails as expected on their iPhones and using OWA.

When they were still on Entourage EWS, I deleted their local accounts in Entourage and rebuilt them, no change. So, we upgraded them to Outlook 2011 without importing anything from Entourage, no change there either, they still have delayed email.

Obviously this is a problem we need to resolve sooner rather than later, any ideas?

Friday, October 29, 2010 4:15 PM

Answers

• Update (11/1/2011): This issue has been fixed in Exchange 2010 SP1 RU6, see KB:2449266 for details. There is no need for customers to call in to request the fix anymore. Just download & install Exchange 2010 SP1 RU6 to fix this issue.

Update (7/18/2011): The public KB article is now available for this issue, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2449266. Microsoft is working to fix this issue on a permanent basis. The permanent fix will be released in an upcoming roll up update for Exchange 2010. I will update this post when that information is available. The KB article will also be updated with that info.

The issue that you experience in Entourage-EWS or Outlook 2011 for Mac (EWS client requests for an item, which results in content conversion on server side), is actually due to a known issue in Exchange 2010 (content conversion fails, connection dropped by server without any response to client).

There is a fix (IU = Interim Update) available for this issue. Customers experiencing this issue should call Microsoft Support (1-800-Microsoft) to request that fix. At this point, it's not planned to be released as part of an update. Calling in and creating a support case to request an IU (Interim Update, see details here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637979.aspx) is required as if at any time in future, Microsoft recalls that fix/IU due to any reason, we will be able to contact those customers to inform them about the recall. Also IUs are Roll Up Updates specific, so you'll need an IU that works well with your current RU level (i.e. specific build).

Sr. Program Manager, Product Quality, Exchange Client Access Server

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 12:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It clearly a client end issue may be due to account are configure in cached mode, try removing the cache mode & check if the issue still remains or not.

Ripu Daman Mina | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:23 PM
  • I have Outlook 2011 (Mac) and I don't see where the setting is to use cached Exchange mode.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Hi,

Try posting the error here : http://www.officeformac.com/productforums/ you might error much faster.

Ripu Daman Mina | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:36 PM
  • I've posted it there as well, but I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone here as well. Could it possibly be an issue with the account on the server? I think it's a client side issue as well, but with two completely different versions of the email client having the same issue...
    Friday, October 29, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Sorry about no familiar with the entourage.
    Some suggestion for you:
    1. Which version for your entourage, it is recommended that update it to 13
    2. Also check the CERT whether is properly on MAC box
    Some related information here.

Regards!
    Gavin
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:44 AM
  • Is there anything in common with the mail that is being delayed?  For example, large attachments?  To confirm, some email is delivered as expected whereas other messages are significantly delayed and also only for some but not all EWS ?  Strange since OWA and the iPhones get the problematic email properly and I that at least the iPhone must use Web Services to communicate with the Exchange server.  Could the email be delayed by some anti-virus/filtering on the server (and only because of the information moving by way of Web Services)?

Sorry for more questions than answers.  We have not transitioned to Exchange 2010 and have a mixed environment of Macs and PCs as well so I have a dog of sorts in this question.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:59 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Sorry about no familiar with the entourage.
    Some suggestion for you:
    1. Which version for your entourage, it is recommended that update it to 13
    2. Also check the CERT whether is properly on MAC box
    Some related information here .

Regards!
    Gavin
    It's happening with Entourage EWS (latest version) and with Outlook 2011 for Mac as well. The cert is a new one, and is working without issue. Like I said, this is only affecting a small number of people.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:44 PM
  • No large attachments, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the delays, just some email is delayed for no obvious reason.

Our spam filtering happens before it ever hits the Exchange box, so no issue there.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Have you tried setting up the Exchange account in Outlook 2011 or EWS in a different Mac OS X account on the same Mac or on a different Mac to see if issue occurs outside the user's normal working account environment?

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Yes, it appears that the same problem exists.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:58 PM
  • Shot in the dark, but do you have a firewall between the Entourage/Outlook clients and the client access server?  We ran into issues with our Outlook 2007 clients (directly connected...not using cached mode) not updating correctly because the firewall keep alive time for TCP connections was set too low.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Maybe something might be revealing in the Outlook 2011 log.

Select Windows menu and Errors log and then click Settings gear icon.

See:
    http://mac2.microsoft.com/help/office/14/en-us/admin/item/cc82d660-9a9b-41ab-ab1c-b5c5db85e560?category=c9277f2c-d467-450c-8ea5-e1845ee6524a

• Edited by ClevSparrow Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:05 PM HTML garbage removed
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Just got off the phone with Microsoft, it's a bug in Exchange 2010. They are aware of the problem, it's caused by dropped TCP connections, and they are working on it.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Brian, any updates to this issue from Microsoft? Also, was this issue present with sp1?
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:41 PM
  • They were supposed to have a Level II support tech call me to advise on a workaround, but that was 2 weeks ago. I plan to call them back next week to follow up, and if I find that the workaround does indeed work, I'll let you know.
    Friday, November 26, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Brian, that would be great.  I've seen this issue mentioned in other forums but no solution has been offered.  I tend to think the problem is at the mailbox level and not a server issue because with our organization, it's only been reported by a few users. 
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Brian, do you have an incident number or the like with MS? Our rep is not able to find anything related to this on their end and we have at least one user who is having the same problem.

Graham

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:01 PM
  • I have the subject line of the escalation email, maybe that will help.

[REG:110110456442329] <Escalation> Outlook 2011 clients are delayed in mail delivery from Exchange 2010

I'm dealing with Pawan Kapoor, Support Escalation Engineer, Office for Mac 2011, Macintosh Enterprise Business Applications | Microsoft® Corporation

Thursday, December 16, 2010 10:00 PM
  • I have had the exact same problem with a 2010 Server running SP1 with no RollUp's applied.  I have been given the following information from Microsoft.

Outlook 2011 synchronization issues you are experiencing when connected to an Exchange 2010 mailbox. While investigation with collaboration with Exchange escalation resource we have found that the issue arises when server fails to convert the item to MIME.”

Luckily I did not have the RU’s installed on the server as there is an existing Interim Update available if you do not have RU2 installed.  As Brian pointed out they are still working on an IU that can be applied to RU2 installations. I have the IU from Microsoft and will be installing that on the problem 2010 server tonight, so I guess we will see what happens.  If you are in this situation (Exchange 2010 SP1 with no RU’s) you will need to call Microsoft and open a case.  They will then be able to send you the IU and a password to download it. 

Great post Brian and thanks!

[REG:110122112152206]

-Tyler

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Sadly, I have RU2 installed, so they have to make a new patch for us. I'll let you guys know if it works whenever they get it to me. Thanks for the info Tyler, good to know.
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Did the hotfix fix the issue?  Is there a version for RU2?

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:25 PM
  • They haven't sent us the new patch yet. See the post above yours for the answer.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:55 PM
  • The "did it fix the issue" question was for Tyler_E who apparently is the only one on the planet who has installed the patch. I'm not holding my breath for an RU2 specific hotfix as RU3 has been announced for March.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:54 PM
  • I think you're probably right.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:12 AM
  • I have been facing the same  problem - either mails are delayed a lot or not coming to my inbox at all. I tried calling terrible microsoft support. they asked me money to solve the bug in the software. Thats great, you identify an issue with the software and pay for it. 

Friday, February 4, 2011 4:17 AM
  • Same exact thing is happening to me at my company Brian. I'm on pins and needles waiting for an answer to this problem. At least I know it's a bug, so I don't have to worry about reimaging these machines to fix an unknown problem.
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Update (11/1/2011): This issue has been fixed in Exchange 2010 SP1 RU6, see KB:2449266 for details. There is no need for customers to call in to request the fix anymore. Just download & install Exchange 2010 SP1 RU6 to fix this issue.

Update (7/18/2011): The public KB article is now available for this issue, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2449266. Microsoft is working to fix this issue on a permanent basis. The permanent fix will be released in an upcoming roll up update for Exchange 2010. I will update this post when that information is available. The KB article will also be updated with that info.

The issue that you experience in Entourage-EWS or Outlook 2011 for Mac (EWS client requests for an item, which results in content conversion on server side), is actually due to a known issue in Exchange 2010 (content conversion fails, connection dropped by server without any response to client).

There is a fix (IU = Interim Update) available for this issue. Customers experiencing this issue should call Microsoft Support (1-800-Microsoft) to request that fix. At this point, it's not planned to be released as part of an update. Calling in and creating a support case to request an IU (Interim Update, see details here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637979.aspx) is required as if at any time in future, Microsoft recalls that fix/IU due to any reason, we will be able to contact those customers to inform them about the recall. Also IUs are Roll Up Updates specific, so you'll need an IU that works well with your current RU level (i.e. specific build).

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 12:32 AM
  • Do we need to call them? Is the fix not available somewhere online on the Microsoft Website? Having talk to them once (many times during that call) I am very doubtful that they will be able to understand the issue. It was way to difficult last time to explain the issue to them. Also the moment you say exchange issue they seem to propose paying for professional support.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:04 AM
  • I received the hotfix on Friday and installed immediately....I had oan open case from MS about this issue..

It has definitely fixed the problem....We only had 2 users affected out of 85, but all users (in my testing) have been receiving emails faster...We are using Outlook 2011 exclusively and iOS devices.

Be careful when downloading, ONLY download form the server from where it will be installed.  I downloaded from home and it got corrupt and errored out on the Exchange Server...Re-downloadig from the Exchange 2010 server fixed it though.

I have the hotfix that was applied to SP1 RU2, there is a different (so I hear) hotfix for SP1 RU1...

Here is the name of the hotfix:  KB2449266.  It also comes along with an .exe called "sn".  This must be run from the command line to disable strong name verification before installing the .msi...

So far, all is well with our Exchange 2010 - Win2008R2....

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Thanks for confirming that the patch works. We will be installing the ru2 hotfix this weekend. I've never been a fan of these "one off" hotfixes. What will happen to the updated files when we install ru3? Do we have to uninstall this to even be able to upgrade to future ru s or sps? It's also a little fishy that this issue seems to affect all large ews deployments but only a few mailboxes within these organizations. What is unique about the affected mailboxes and why can't they be fixed directly instead of installing this patch that affects everyone?
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:43 PM
  • All good questions.....I have installed other hotfixes on the old Exchange 2003 for specific problems only affecting a few users w/o experiencing any issues to the other users....So we will see....

Be aware, the update takes some time (20mis) and DOES turn off some non-Exchange related services like Acronis Imager (and others) for the time being....We did not experience ANY interruptions to any email features...We do not use this server for any other purpose than Exchange though.

As for when MS updates to SP2(?) or RU3(?) I am not sure, but take a look below...(Last sentance) It looks like this Interim Update will have to be UNINSTALLED when a new, offical MS update comes our way....That is if these changes are incorporated in the next SP or RU candidate....I will certanly ask my MS Rep before I close this case:

Note: This Interim Update can only be applied to the same Exchange Server 2010 version and/or Rollup target for which it was intended.
    Note: Only one Interim Update can be run on a server at a time. You must remove any other Exchange Server 2010 Interim Update before installing this Interim Update. If you require multiple Interim Update fixes, these Interim Update fixes must be in a single Interim Update
    package and need to be requested.
    Note:  The Strong Name tool (sn.exe) must be present to configure the system to skip strong name verification before installing the Interim Update package.
    Note:   Strong named signing verification must not be enabled if an Interim Update is present on the server or some services may crash on startup.
    Note:   You must remove this Interim Update package before installing any Exchange Server 2010 official rollup or alternate IU release.

I hope to close this case this week, pending testing and will report back about the last sentence after the MS Rep comments.....

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:56 PM
  • Hello,

Just an update to this issue.  We installed kb2449266 for Ru2 over the weekend on our CAS servers.  It's too soon to tell if this has resolved the issue completely since we need to rely on our EWS users to let us know (Mac users are a "special" breed).  Our support engineer on the case confirmed that the March Sp1 RU3 WILL have this hotfix included.  Hopefully that will put this issue to rest for good.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:07 PM
  • So far, so good. We installed it on RU2 and it seems to have resolved the problem. Also, good to know it will be included in RU3.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:28 PM
  • I just tried calling MS about this issue.  The Exchange support team refused to acknowledge this was an Exchange issue (I even referred them to this thread).  After begging them to at least look into the patch that is referenced on this thread, they told me the patch was for RTM and not SP1.  My case was transfered the Mac support team, haven't heard from the yet.

Anyone know the magic words to get this patch?

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:39 PM
  • That is false.  There is a version for sp1, a version for sp1 ru1, and a version for sp1 ru2.  I would call back and ask for a different engineer.  Our person came from "Enterprise Communication Support" and not from the Mac business unit.  The magic word should be IU 2449266.  It sounds like you just got a bad apple.

Here's the name of the file for ru2: ExchangeServer2010.439956.SP1_RU2_HOT

Here's the message in the event viewer when it was installed:

MESSAGE Application KB2449266 (Interim Update for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1 (KB2449266)) was installed.

Additional Information:

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
    Installation Directory: unknown
    Version: 1

Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:36 PM
  • I just called Microsoft germany but they don't know the hotfix.

Where can i get that hotfix?

Thanks

Friday, February 18, 2011 8:54 AM

• The issue that you experience in Entourage-EWS or Outlook 2011 for Mac (EWS client requests for an item, which results in content conversion on server side), is actually due to a known issue in Exchange 2010 (content conversion fails, connection dropped by server without any response to client).

There is a fix available for this issue. Customers experiencing this issue should call Microsoft Support (1-800-Microsoft) to request that fix. At this point, it's not planned to be released as part of an update.

Can someone verify that Interim Update 2449266 is included in Rollup 3 for SP1? I just spent an hour on the phone with Microsoft Enterprise Communication Support. I convinced them to send me the IU but the engineer kept telling me it was included in RU3.

The description for Update Rollup 3 for Exchange 2010 SP1 does not specifically list our problem or cite IU 2449266.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2492690

I'd prefer not to install RU3 just to find out the problem persists.
    Friday, March 11, 2011 3:36 PM
  • -- Bump

I finally received the Interim Update (IU 2449266) from Microsoft Enterprise Communications Support.

Without a definitive response to my previous question, I will have to take measures into my own hands. I will install RU3 today or tonight and see if the problem persists.

If it still happens, I will back out of RU3 and install IU 2449266.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 12:27 PM
  • If you look at my post, they told me the same thing.  Two reps telling two random customers the same information.  I think that's as close as you are going to get to confirmation that this ui is in the rollup.  However, I would not be suprised if it wasn't included.  I don't think a few hippy Mac users are important to the Microsoft Enterprise team and they've proved that many times.

-Cheers

Thursday, March 17, 2011 1:19 PM
  • If you look at my post, they told me the same thing.  Two reps telling two random customers the same information.  I think that's as close as you are going to get to confirmation that this ui is in the rollup.  However, I would not be suprised if it wasn't included.  I don't think a few hippy Mac users are important to the Microsoft Enterprise team and they've proved that many times.

-Cheers

Ah! Sorry, I missed that one. We didn't get around to installing RU3 last night. It should go in tonight. I will try and remember to update this thread with results.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Ah! Sorry, I missed that one. We didn't get around to installing RU3 last night. It should go in tonight. I will try and remember to update this thread with results.
    How did it go?
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:58 PM
  • I'm having this exact same issue, i installed RU3 before they pulled it, and it has made no difference. im sitting here with a PC running outlook 2010, no problems emails come through really fast, the mac ..... it sleeps might get the mains 5 mins down the line might get them 40 mins down the line, the iphones all get the email fast as well within 20 secs :(

is anyone able to upload this file at all ? i've gone back to RU2 as RU3 has some bugs in it, but i really would like this issue resolves as the customer is not impressed that their macs are super slow at receiving emails... even if someone could email me the file, i would be really grateful :)

Many thanks

Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:28 PM
  • The issue that you experience in Entourage-EWS or Outlook 2011 for Mac (EWS client requests for an item, which results in content conversion on server side), is actually due to a known issue in Exchange 2010 (content conversion fails, connection dropped by server without any response to client).

There is a fix available for this issue. Customers experiencing this issue should call Microsoft Support (1-800-Microsoft) to request that fix. At this point, it's not planned to be released as part of an update.

Is the fix you mentioned for the Exchange Server or for Outlook/Entourage?

If this is a server side issue in Exchange 2010, why is Apple Mail not affected? I only get this delay using Outlook 2011 on my Mac. Apple Mail works fine.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:43 AM
  • I too am after this fix. I called MS support and they had no idea of the KB or the known issue.

This is crazy, can someone upload the fix for Exchange 2010 with SP1 ru2 installed please?

@jmyching - it's for Exchange, not Outlook 2011 Mac - and Apple Mail probably uses IMAP or something rather than native exchange?

Anyway, please please please please please please please...I could go on....

Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:08 PM
  • I've just spoken to about 5 different departments, of shich they have just transfered me around saying "its not us you need its so n so" the last guy said "oh ill email it to you" but sounded so bored and had no idea how to look up my partner id that i doubt hes going to email it :(

If anyone can upload this file i would be extreemly greatful as this is becoming a nightmare.

I rang Technet as well, and they wouldnt give me anything without a subscription..... so I can pay for a sub, but they wont tell me whether they have the file or not...... might end up paying for it all then finding out they dont have it anyways :(

Monday, April 4, 2011 2:25 PM
  • If anyone can upload this file i would be extreemly greatful as this is becoming a nightmare.

Any joy in finding this file? We are looking for it too, and being in Australia makes things a little harder.

Monday, April 11, 2011 4:52 AM
  • For those of you looking for the old hotfix, have you tried to see if RU3 fixes your issue?

Monday, April 11, 2011 8:44 PM
  • We haven't deployed SP1 yet - our environment is Exchange 2010, RU5

If we knew for certain that this hotfix was included in RU3 we would be more motivated to deploy SP1 etc

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:49 AM
  • p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Calibri; color: #20497d} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Calibri; color: #7f7f7f} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Calibri; color: #1738f5} span.s1 {font: 16.0px Cambria; color: #20497d} span.s2 {color: #20497d} span.s3 {color: #7f7f7f} span.s4 {color: #1738f5}

Hello David,

Hope you are doing fine!

With regards to delayed mail sync issue in Outlook 2011 / Entourage EWS, 110122112152206, has no fix yet. Although we have an interim update, this has not fixed the issue to the customers whom I have worked with.  We don’t have an ETA.

Thanks & regards,

Gxxx G | Support Engineer

Macintosh Enterprise Business Applications | Microsoft Corporation

Phone: 425.704.22xx - Ext 37xxx

Email: gxxxg@microsoft.com

Business Hours:  M-F 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM CST

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:57 AM
  • p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Calibri; color: #20497d} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Calibri; color: #7f7f7f} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 15.0px Calibri; color: #1738f5} span.s1 {font: 16.0px Cambria; color: #20497d} span.s2 {color: #20497d} span.s3 {color: #7f7f7f} span.s4 {color: #1738f5}

Hello David,

Hope you are doing fine!

With regards to delayed mail sync issue in Outlook 2011 / Entourage EWS, 110122112152206, has no fix yet. Although we have an interim update, this has not fixed the issue to the customers whom I have worked with.  We don’t have an ETA.

Thanks & regards,

Gxxx G | Support Engineer

Macintosh Enterprise Business Applications | Microsoft Corporation

Phone: 425.704.22xx - Ext 37xxx

Email: gxxxg@microsoft.com

Business Hours:  M-F 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM CST

Weird.  The IU for RU2 definately fixed our problem with delayed EWS mail.  It is a difficult issue to troubleshoot since you need to know when the Mac client recieved the email versus when the email was sent.  We set up a profile in Outlook 2011 for one of our users with the problem.  In Outlook 2011, each message is saved as a file object (vs the entourage database method).  If you look at the extended information on the message file, you can see when the OS wrote it and when it was sent.  Before the IU update, random messages would have a delta of 20 minutes to a few hours between the sent time and the OS created time.  After the IU, we could not find any evidence of a message with a delta larger than 1 minute.  If the issue is still happening, it's not being reported by our users.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:35 PM
  • With regards to delayed mail sync issue in Outlook 2011 / Entourage EWS, 110122112152206, has no fix yet. Although we have an interim update, this has not fixed the issue to the customers whom I have worked with.  We don’t have an ETA.

Is there any way for us to receive the interim update for our client? Or has the hotfix been withdrawn?
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 5:43 AM
  • I've just installed RU3 v3 on exchange, and its...... not fixed the issue, it has however made it a tad more strange, in that i can send 1 email and it doesnt come through but if i send a 2nd email both of them cone through, its almost as if its waiting for 2 emails before delivering them to the client.....

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:39 PM
  • I have received an IU from Microsoft and applied it to our Exchange 2010 SP1 RU3 server but we are still experiencing the issue. FRUSTRATING as hell!
    Friday, April 29, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Are you able to post the UI so i can test it on our server as well? pretty please :)
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Has there been an interim update for RU3?  I am still on RU2 + interim update which appears to make the mac clients work without the delay.  Though I have users having issues with pdf attachments being sent as inline and not showing up in Outlook 2007.  It appears this is fixed in RU3, but it looks like RU3 would break the delayed email issue.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Yes, there is an IU available for Exchange 2010 SP1 RU3 v3.  

I have installed it and it does indeed fix the delayed email issues (I first removed the previous IU from RU2 before installing RU3 v3).  This fix for the delayed EWS email was not included in RU3 v3.

File name is: Exchange2010-KB2449266-x64-en.msi

Call your MS Support contact and ask for this IU:  KB2449266  (ONLY for Ru3 v3)

Andrew

Thursday, June 2, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Amir,

Has this Outlook 2011 content conversion fails, connection dropped by server without any response to client been solved in rollup 2 or 3 for exchange 2010 SP1?

Eric

Thursday, June 16, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Has anybody had any luck a solution?

Monday, August 8, 2011 5:44 PM
  • has there been any feedback one way or the other if this is included in the release RU4-v2 ? it is not listed but you never know. thanks
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Update Rollup 5 for Exchange Server 2010 SP1 was just released on August 23, 2011; it doesn't look like this fix made it in.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:53 PM
  • I recently installed a new exchange organization from scratch on beast hardware with all of the latest rollups (not patched for this issue yet).  I'm seeing this problem in the new organization as well.

I am not refering to the 30 seconds that it takes for a Mac EWS client to see a new message (which is unacceptable in it's own right).  The behavior that I'm refering to is this: Messages are delayed randomly, sometimes delivered out of order from other messages. This can range from 5 minutes to a day.  If you are planning on installing Exchange 2010 and you have Mac clients, make sure that you get the hotfix available for your rollup version.

In Sp2, I really hope MS includes this hotfix by default.  Also it would be nice if EWS Mac clients could recieve email at least as fast as any low powered active sync phone.  I realize email is not instant messaging, but its ridiculous that enterprise mail client/server communication should be so slow.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 11:16 PM
  • I have no idea if anybody at microsoft is even bothering to deal with this obviously major issue with their mac product (in concert with exchange 2010) - if you are here you searched the web plenty and know how much of an issue it is, so I'm going to ping those watching this thread. anybody have a good novel approach for mac users? apple mail / outlook with imap? does the standalone ical app have this bug? I even tried forcing all connections to the CAS to run through a proxy hoping that would someone help and of course it didn't.
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Update Rollup 5 for Exchange Server 2010 SP1 was just released on August 23, 2011; it doesn't look like this fix made it in.

This means when RU6 comes out, we need to uninstall the IU....that's extra risk we don't need. I wish they included this fix in RU5 so we can install RU5 and get it overwith.
    Z-Hire -- Automate IT Account creation process ( AD / Exchange / Lync )
    Z-Term -- Automate IT account termination process ( AD / Exchange )
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:49 PM
  • I recently installed a new exchange organization from scratch on beast hardware with all of the latest rollups (not patched for this issue yet).  I'm seeing this problem in the new organization as well.

I am not refering to the 30 seconds that it takes for a Mac EWS client to see a new message (which is unacceptable in it's own right).  The behavior that I'm refering to is this: Messages are delayed randomly, sometimes delivered out of order from other messages. This can range from 5 minutes to a day.  If you are planning on installing Exchange 2010 and you have Mac clients, make sure that you get the hotfix available for your rollup version.

In Sp2, I really hope MS includes this hotfix by default.  Also it would be nice if EWS Mac clients could recieve email at least as fast as any low powered active sync phone.  I realize email is not instant messaging, but its ridiculous that enterprise mail client/server communication should be so slow.

I found this forum/thread when searching for why Outlook 2011 is slow in receiving PUSH from the server.  I'm obviously used to how snappy it was using Outlook 2010/Exchange 2010 on Windows.  I had a feeling that the reason why its slow its because of the use of EWS.  When I saw your reply, specifically "I'm not referring to the 30 seconds *or more* that it takes for a Mac EWS client to see a new message (which is unacceptable in it's own right)", I thought then maybe that is what the problem is.  I'm seeing delays of 1minute to maybe 2 minutes.  Granted, its not that bad overall, but, compared to Windows...its snails pace.  So is my issue that I'm experiencing because of Outlook 2011 using EWS?  Is Microsoft planning on working on this issue?  Making it faster or is there anything that can be done to speed it up? LOL  I would appreciated any info.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Since I know many roads on the internet lead to this thread it seems that 2010 SP1 Rollup 6 (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2608646) appears to finally include the infamous EWS/Outlook 2011 fix ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2449266),

since Microsoft has had such a horrible track record in pulling hotfixes I’m going to hold off a few days, I’m just wondering if anybody has actually taken the plunge yet

thanks

Monday, October 31, 2011 1:04 AM
  • I installed the Rollup 6 (Version: 14.01.0355.002) yesterday, but the problem is still there. Some people recieve the mails 20-30 minutes earlier on the iPhone than on the Outlook client on the Mac.

Did someone else have the same issue?

Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Do you mean 20-30 seconds (not minutes) ?  This rollup is *supposed* to fix an issue where some emails show up randomly.  If you are having an issue where every email takes 30 minutes, that's probably some other problem. 

If you did mean 20-30 seconds, that is "normal".

Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:35 PM
  • I mean minutes, i have some users with this problem. The iPhone is much faster than the client on the Workstation. Okay, if this is another problem i have to open an seperate thread.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:28 AM