none
Exchange 2010 installation

Question

• Hello All,

When running step of installing and configuring my Exchange 2010 UM server, the installation would stumble and fail at the point of installing Exchange management tools:

Exchange Management Tools  FAILED
    The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();  Set-WERRegistryMarkers; " was run: "Provisioning layer initialization failed: '"Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'.""'".

Disable the scripting agent by running Disable-CmdletExtensionAgent "Scripting Agent" from another Exchange server in the organization solve the problem.

Also the installation could be done by copying the ScriptingAgentConfig.xml file from other server and paste it to the target folder "V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents".

In the past I have already installed other Exchange servers but I have never had this problem. Is it related to the Windows system (W2K8 r2 standard sp1)?

I would like to understand why this file is missing?

In future and to avoid such issue, do you have to disable the scripting agent before Exchange installation?

Thanks for your help to understand this issue.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:45 AM

Answers

• Hello All,

I have just understood the origin of the problem after seeing the following link:

Https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297951(v=exchg.141).aspx

In fact The Scripting Agent cmdlet extension is disabled by default. If they are actived in the organization, then before installing a new Exchange server in your organization you must disable the scripting agent and proceed with the installation. After that rename the file "scriptingagentconfig.xml.sample" to "scriptingagentconfig.xml ". This file is lokated in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\". Re-enable agent scripting through the Cmdlet: Enable-CmdletExtensionAgent "Scripting Agent";
    and Install the rest of applications: RU; Language pack ....

Hope this will help and thank you for taking the time to read me

• Proposed as answer by Will Martin, PFE Friday, March 17, 2017 12:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by hbe95 Friday, March 17, 2017 1:10 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 9:22 AM

All replies

• Are you installing from the Exchange 2010 SP3 download, or from RTM?  If you are installing from RTM, RTM isn't supported on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 (see https://technet.microsoft.com/library/ff728623(v=exchg.150).aspx).

If you are installing from the SP3 download, can you install only the management tools?  Or can you install any of the other roles 9which include the management tools)?

What troubleshooting have you done?

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:15 PM
  • I have installed Exchange 2010 SP3 download (Exchange2010-SP3-x64.exe). This is the same package I used to do a recover of CAS and also the same I used to install an UM in our test environment and I did not have any issue.

Here is the error in the ExchangeSetup file:

[ERROR] Provisioning layer initialization failed: '"Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'.""'

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0212] [2] [ERROR] "Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'.""

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0212] [2] [ERROR] "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'."

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0228] [2] [ERROR] Provisioning layer initialization failed: '"Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'.""'

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0228] [2] [ERROR] "Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'.""

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0228] [2] [ERROR] "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'."

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0244] [1] The following 1 error(s) occurred during task execution:

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0244] [1] 0.  ErrorRecord: Provisioning layer initialization failed: '"Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'.""'

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0244] [1] 0.  ErrorRecord: Microsoft.Exchange.Provisioning.ProvisioningBrokerException: Provisioning layer initialization failed: '"Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'.""' ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Provisioning.ProvisioningException: "Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'."" ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'."

at Microsoft.Exchange.ProvisioningAgent.ScriptingAgentConfiguration.Initialize(String xmlConfigPath)

at Microsoft.Exchange.ProvisioningAgent.ScriptingAgentConfiguration..ctor(String xmlConfigPath)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.Exchange.ProvisioningAgent.ScriptingAgentConfiguration..ctor(String xmlConfigPath)

at Microsoft.Exchange.ProvisioningAgent.ScriptingAgentClassFactory.get_Configuration()

at Microsoft.Exchange.ProvisioningAgent.ScriptingAgentClassFactory.GetSupportedCmdlets()

at Microsoft.Exchange.Provisioning.ProvisioningBroker.BuildHandlerLookupTable(CmdletExtensionAgent[] enabledAgents, Exception& ex)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.Exchange.Provisioning.ProvisioningLayer.GetProvisioningHandlers(Task task)

at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.BeginProcessing()

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0244] [1] [ERROR] The following error was generated when "$error.Clear();

Set-WERRegistryMarkers;

" was run: "Provisioning layer initialization failed: '"Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'.""'".

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0244] [1] [ERROR] Provisioning layer initialization failed: '"Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'.""'

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0244] [1] [ERROR] "Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'.""

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0244] [1] [ERROR] "File is not found: 'D:\Exchsrvr\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'."

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0244] [1] [ERROR-REFERENCE] Id=AllRolesCommonFirst_RunOnce___b30cefaa0d2a486086e9b6517e52add7 Component=EXCHANGE14:\Current\Release\Shared\Datacenter\Setup

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0259] [1] Setup is stopping now because of one or more critical errors.

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0259] [1] Finished executing component tasks.

[03/15/2017 10:05:05.0290] [1] Ending processing Install-AdminToolsRole

[03/15/2017 10:06:35.0085] [0] [WARNING] Setup has made changes to operating system settings that require a reboot to take effect. Please reboot this server prior to placing it into production.

[03/15/2017 10:06:39.0577] [0] End of Setup

Any way the problem has been solved but I just want to know the origin of the problem and if I can avoid it in the future without running  the cmdlet: Disable-CmdletExtensionAgent "Scripting Agent" .

Thanks

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:56 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that you have solved the issue.

I noticed you got the error "Provisioning layer initialization failed: '"Scripting Agent initialization failed: "File is not found: 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\ScriptingAgentConfig.xml'", the Setup is looking for the scripting agent file.  it is not there with some unknown reason, hence it tells you to make the directory structure and copy the file over.

Please confirm if you have download the source files again from the MSFT official website.

I have found some similar threads for your reference:

https://ril3y.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/exchange-2013-install-fails-when-scripting-agent-is-enabled-in-organization/

http://farkhadm.blogspot.sg/2014/07/dealing-with-failing-exchange-2010.html

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:21 AM
  • Hello All,

I have just understood the origin of the problem after seeing the following link:

Https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd297951(v=exchg.141).aspx

In fact The Scripting Agent cmdlet extension is disabled by default. If they are actived in the organization, then before installing a new Exchange server in your organization you must disable the scripting agent and proceed with the installation. After that rename the file "scriptingagentconfig.xml.sample" to "scriptingagentconfig.xml ". This file is lokated in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Bin\CmdletExtensionAgents\". Re-enable agent scripting through the Cmdlet: Enable-CmdletExtensionAgent "Scripting Agent";
    and Install the rest of applications: RU; Language pack ....

Hope this will help and thank you for taking the time to read me

• Proposed as answer by Will Martin, PFE Friday, March 17, 2017 12:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by hbe95 Friday, March 17, 2017 1:10 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 9:22 AM
  • Glad to hear that you have got it.

If the reply is helpful to you, please also mark some helpful replies as answers so that someone who has similar issue could find the solution as soon as possible.

Thanks for your collaboration and understanding.

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:44 AM