none
Storage Spaces: Retired Drive RRS feed

• Question

• A disk in my Storage Spaces array is displaying the message "Error. Retired; add a drive then remove this drive". The disk showing as 77.5% used. A third-party app, HDsentinel,  displays that "Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 51 times". It recommends checking the cables. It displays the current performance of the drive as 99% and the health as 100%.

The PC had been switched off for two weeks. Before switching it off there were no problems or errors.  During the time it was off, it was moved, the case was open and the cables were exposed. I'm not convinced that there is a real problem with the drive. I think it may have been related to the cables.

My questions are:

1. What does "retired" actually mean? Does it mean that the drive is unusable or that it recommends that it not be used because of previous errors?
    2. Is there any way to get it to retry the drive, rather than insisting that it is retired?
    3. Do I have to install a new drive before removing this one as directed in the message? I don't have any free bays, so would need to attach an external drive. After removing the retired disk, I would then need to put a second drive in the empty bay. I don't really want to purchase two new disks if it's not necessary.

Please note that this Windows 10 Home. I couldn't find a more appropriate form than this one.

• Edited by keith_uk Friday, July 10, 2020 10:36 AM
    Friday, July 10, 2020 10:33 AM

All replies