none
On Premises Exchange eDiscovery PST Export Tool request credentials RRS feed

• Question

• We have two on premises Exchange Server 2016 running in a DAG DNS round robin configuration.

We currently need to export 6 months of emails from a few users mailboxes.

In the past we have used the eDiscovery Export to PST tool without any issue, however this was prior to the DAG setup when there was only a single exchange server in place.

However when we are trying to use this tool now at the very beginning of export you will get a Microsoft Credential prompt for Discovery Export Credential.

We have tried to use the Exchange administrator logon and the users account / password for the mailbox being exported however the credentials are not accepted and the logon prompt will loop.

I have found previous forums specifying to add the domain to the Local Intranet zone in the Internet Options. 

We have tried the export from both Exchange Servers and the destination file server.

We have tried both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome ( with ClickOnce plugin ).

All assistance in this issue is greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi

Does a normal export to PST not work? Generally with exports and imports you need a valid share in place with the correct permissions (exchange trusted subsystem) and you need a group for imports and exports.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:16 AM
  • What would you consider a normal export to pst.

From Outlook or from Shell MailboxExportRequest?

Exchange Trusted Subsystem has full privileges on both the share and folder.

EDIT: The admin user trying to perform the export has all permissions in the exchange setup aswell.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:42 PM
  • Hi,

Please make sure the administrator account you used is a member of Discovery Management role group.

If you want to export emails for some user mailboxes, you can use command to export emails to pst files. Here is a similar thread about Exchange 2016: Export Multiple Mailbox to PST PowerShell (with specific date range), hope you can get help from it.

Additionally, you need to be assigned permissions before you can import or export a PST file. You can use the following command to grant Mailbox Import Export role to administrator or other users who perform this procedure:

New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Role "Mailbox Import Export" –User Administrator

You need to grant read/write permission to the group Exchange Trusted Subsystem to the network share where you'll export or import mailboxes. Show in the following image:

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Hi J. Hopkinson MNCI,

Did you get useful information from above commands and similar thread?

Did you try to export emails to pst files?

Please let us know if you need further help.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:26 PM
  • The information has been helpful but does not address the original issue with using the Export tool.

I marked answers that were helpful but not an answer to the question to list what settings need to be in place on shares and Exchange permissions group.

All of these settings were already set.

In the past i have used the New-MailboxExportRequest tool, since moving from Exchange 2010 > Exchange 2013 and to Exchange 2016 i have been having issues with the ContentFilter and finding the correct syntax for targeting what I need.

I have been researching Microsoft KQL syntax for this and started using this method. 

I noticed that the Search Query Results is much larger than the PST file that was created with New-MailboxExportRequest. Is this normal?

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:35 PM
  • I have done an export with the New-MailboxExportRequest tool and the completed pst is considerably smaller than the eDiscovery Search.

The PST file exported was 1.12G with 6000~ objects, i mounted the PST file and ran a vbscript to get an item count.

The eDiscovery Search reported  7G and 18000~ objects.

I used the exact same filters but i am concerned with the size difference.

Commands

New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox Test -Filepath \\Server\Share\test.pst -contentfiler {(received -lt "01-Jul-2019)" -and (participants -eq "email@domain.com")} -name test-export

And the search query specified the same.

Can someone explain the size difference.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 5:34 AM
  • For issues about eDiscovery PST Export Tool credential, please make sure the admin account is a member of Discovery Management role group, and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 is installed. You can try to use other Administrator accounts, and check if the issue persists.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Friday, November 22, 2019 9:40 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any questions or need further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Thursday, November 28, 2019 1:48 AM
  • Perhaps try reading all the messages again before trying to mark your answer as correct.

I have replied twice to your answer without reply.

The recommended course of action you specified was to use another tool. I cannot confirm has all the mail that I am looking for. Almost 12000 message difference in a New-MailboxExportRequest in comparison in-place search query. 

So, for the practice or archival and deletion of emails 12000 messages not answered for is a problem.

I have checked the settings that you specified for the network share and even tried to create a new share with these settings to confirm it was not an issue with the fileserver, however the export still asks for a username and password.

Net framework 4.7.2 is installed.

The account performing the export is in the group

Yes your answer could be seen as helpful to someone else with the same issue and it may work for them, however all of the fixes you specified were already in place before i posted this thread.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 2:00 AM
  • Since you have a issue about the loop credential for eDiscovery Export to PST tool, and a issue about the size of search result, I just want to solve your loop credential firstly, then focus on the different size between two search results.

1. Loop credential for eDiscovery Export to PST tool.

Did you login the Exchange server and EAC with the same account as you used to export eDiscovery search results?

If you have saved other credentials, try to clear all saved credentials in Credential Manager from Control Panel, and export the result again. 

Please try to log into the local Exchange server directly.

2. The size of search result.

What search conditions did you set for eDiscovery search? You can post the screenshot here and don't forget to cover your personal information.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Monday, December 2, 2019 7:45 AM
  • Credential Manager was initially cleared but has now been cleared again.

The eDiscovery exports have been attempted to run on three different servers. Two of which are the exchange mailbox servers. The third is the File Server that hosts the archive destination.

The search queries are currently 

Search-Mailbox -identity $user -SearchQuery "received:01-Jan-2019..01-Jul-2019 and participants:email@domain.com" 

The eDiscovery queries are the same. 

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 10:47 PM