Win 7 Backup fails with 0x8007007b RRS feed

• Question

• I have a dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate and XP pro machine. They are both fresh installs. However, when I try to backup with an image of C:(Win7) and H:(XP) the backup fails with error 0x8007007B. Manually backups with disk imaging turned off fails too. I am doing backups to a USB drive that has a 500 MB partition. I have tried to a couple of days to find a work around this problem. Any advice would be appreciated?

Does the old fashion NT backup work under Windows 7. It was a much friendly product that work flawlessly for me for years.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:47 PM

All replies

• Wait you trying to store 12GB+- onto a 500MB USB drive? Is that 500MB or 500GB?

You can perform the old school ntbackup by not selecting system image and manually choosing the folders/files to run, but seeing how you say you cannot backup just the folders and files presents another issue. Also ensure that your Volume Shadow Copy service is started.
    MCP, MCSE, MCDST, MCSA, MCT, MCITP:EA, MCITP:CST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCTS, CBP
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 8:30 AM
  • Oooops - typo - should have been 500 GB :)

I can see VSS in the services and it starts running as soon as backup starts up.

I tried something else. I deselected everything but "include system image of drives (H:), (C:)". This works fine. Images are created successfully. If I deselect "include system image of drives (H:),(C:)" and select any folder from C: or any partition on my USB drive the backup fails with error 0x8007007B.

Can I use NTbackup under Win 7?

• Edited by selfsimilar Thursday, October 14, 2010 5:55 PM More info
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Press and hold the Windows key, then press R. This will open up an application called Run.
    Type in cmd.exe and click on the OK button to launch the Command Prompt.
    Simply type slui 3 and press enter.
    Enter your Windows product key in the new dialog box.
    When done, click the Activate button and restart your computer.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2020 10:39 AM