none
Cannot create distribution group under Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    As a newbie Ive done transition from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010. Preiously I had groups such as Staff, AdminOffice etc and they all disappeared. When I try createing New distribution group and use existing ou it cannot see any group. Exchange 2003 no longer exist in my system. In the global address list I can see all mailboxes and staff but not the groups. If I wanna send an email to all staff, definetely I will need that group. How can I create or fix that issue?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 10:50 AM

Answers

• Every distribution group in Exchange 2007/2010 should be universal because of members visibility scope in multidomain forest. In simly organization with one domain forest of course it could be domain global, but for compatibility reason, to avoid problems with expanding forest it's fixed to universal groups.
    I don't understand why your coworker must to delete distribution groups.
    But you can try this threat - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchange2010/thread/a587a97d-0d22-4540-aff0-5728b06e287c
    to change your user permissions.
    Regards, Konrad Sagala, MCT, 5xMCITP, MCTS: Exchange 2010
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Thursday, February 4, 2010 9:42 AM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

What is the type of these existing group? Please try to find these groups from ADUC.

We need to create a mail-enabled group so that we can find these group from GAL.

So please try to find these group and convert to univeral group and then stamp mailbox on them.

Quote from the following article(Need to convert Global groups to Universal groups? Do you have messages to global groups disappearing?http://blogs.technet.com/sfodel/archive/2008/08/04/need-to-convert-global-groups-to-universal-groups.aspx):

With Global groups, the group will replicate to all GC's in the forest, but the group membership will only replicate to the local DC's.  So, if for some reason Exchange can't contact the local GC you will see this issue. The workaround could be following:

1.  Convert the global groups to universal

2.  hard code the GC's that exchange will use (Please only do this as a temporary fix, not a permanent solution.)

Need to convert Global groups to Universal groups? Do you have messages to global groups disappearing?
    http://blogs.technet.com/sfodel/archive/2008/08/04/need-to-convert-global-groups-to-universal-groups.aspx

Regards,
    Xiu

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:28 AM

All replies

• what happens when u run get-distributiongroup in exchange shell ?

Saturday, January 23, 2010 12:06 PM
  • How did you tried to create distribution group? In Exchange 2007/2010 you can create/modify distribution group only from Exchange management tools (not from Active Directory Users and Computers like it was before). The easiest way is Exchange management console - recipients part in left pane
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

Ive tryed both option but I think I missing some points. Ive attached the pictures below so you can see whats happening.

And below one shows other option.

Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:03 PM
  • What user you are using to manage distribution group?
    There was some changes in management model in Exchange 2010 (Role Based Access Control). Can you see distribution groups from ECP - this is another new tool for user and distribution groups management? Maybe your user is not mailbox enabled?
    When you use ExBPA do you receive some permissions errors?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

The account that I am using is enterprise admin account. Ive installed everything with that account. I cannot see any distribution group under ECP. While transition a guy was helping me and to complete transition with some reason he had to delete groups as I understood. He said later on that I can create groups again. Now I am trying to do that so far I couldnt.
    When I run ExBPA I dont receive permission errors.
    Could you confirm if I was doing that with correct way according to picture above? Should I use existing group or new group option?

Saturday, January 23, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hi,

who can explain that Distribution Group created by E2K10 Management Console is an Universal Group?

Regards,
    Robert
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Every distribution group in Exchange 2007/2010 should be universal because of members visibility scope in multidomain forest. In simly organization with one domain forest of course it could be domain global, but for compatibility reason, to avoid problems with expanding forest it's fixed to universal groups.
    I don't understand why your coworker must to delete distribution groups.
    But you can try this threat - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchange2010/thread/a587a97d-0d22-4540-aff0-5728b06e287c
    to change your user permissions.
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:43 AM
  • Is this a multiple domain forest? The tools have some issues here and then when running the tools from one domain and trying to create/modify/see objects in a different domain.
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Configuration
    LMNOP
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Hi,

What is the type of these existing group? Please try to find these groups from ADUC.

We need to create a mail-enabled group so that we can find these group from GAL.

So please try to find these group and convert to univeral group and then stamp mailbox on them.

Quote from the following article(Need to convert Global groups to Universal groups? Do you have messages to global groups disappearing?http://blogs.technet.com/sfodel/archive/2008/08/04/need-to-convert-global-groups-to-universal-groups.aspx):

With Global groups, the group will replicate to all GC's in the forest, but the group membership will only replicate to the local DC's.  So, if for some reason Exchange can't contact the local GC you will see this issue. The workaround could be following:

1.  Convert the global groups to universal

2.  hard code the GC's that exchange will use (Please only do this as a temporary fix, not a permanent solution.)

Need to convert Global groups to Universal groups? Do you have messages to global groups disappearing?
    http://blogs.technet.com/sfodel/archive/2008/08/04/need-to-convert-global-groups-to-universal-groups.aspx

Regards,
    Xiu

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:28 AM