none
Cannot delete Exchange mailbox Database

Question

• Hi,

I'm having problems deleting an Exchange DB, when I try and delete it I receive the following error:-

This mailbox database contains one or more mailboxes, mailbox plans, archive mailboxes, or arbitration mailboxes. To ge
    t a list of all mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID>. To get a list of all m
    ailbox plans in this database, run the command Get-MailboxPlan. To get a list of archive mailboxes in this database, ru
    n the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Archive. To get a list of all arbitration mailboxes in this database
    , run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Arbitration. To disable a non-arbitration mailbox so that you ca
    n delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID>. To disable an archive mailbox so you can d
    elete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Archive. Arbitration mailboxes should be move
    d to another server; to do this, run the command New-MoveRequest <parameters>. If this is the last server in the organi
    zation, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Arbitration -DisableLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed to disable the
    arbitration mailbox. Mailbox plans should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command Set-MailboxPlan <Mail
    boxPlan ID> -Database <Database ID>.

There are no mailboxes, mailboxplans, Archive mailboxes nor arbitration mailboxes on this DB.  I've run all the suggested cmdlets in the error and I receive no output.  The DB has no retention to keep deleted items.  What am I doing wrong here as it's driving me crazy, all Google suggestions say that you should delete the mailboxes on the DB or delete the archive mailboxes, there aren't any on the DB unless there is some secret hidden mailbox on it that I'm not seeing.

Thanks,

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• So the arbitration mailboxes were moved to another store?

If not, ensure you dont have any backlinks to an archive database if you are using online archiving per:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvravailabilityandisasterrecovery/thread/bea7815b-048c-4cac-be7f-0d3fa8e4fd54/

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Hi,

From your description, you can try the following:

<1>Run Get-Mailbox -Database "Database Name" –Arbitration command to find all the arbitration mailboxes

<2>If there are some arbitration mailboxes, move them to different databases and then delete the database again

<3>If all above don’t work, you can use ADSIEDIT tool to delete mailbox database:

1.        Open Adsiedit.msc

2.        Connect to the configuration partition.

3.        Expand Configuration-Services-Microsoft Exchange-<Organization Name>-Administrative Groups-Servers-<Messaging Server name>-Information Stores.

4.        Delete the appropriate database.

Hope it helps. If you encounter any difficulties, please let us know.

Thanks

Sophia Xu

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Hello

In Exchange 2010, there are a few arbitration mailboxes that will prevent database deletion

You cannot see this from Exchange Management Console for that you need to view it from EMS 

To view please follow the Above suggestions 

You have a choice of Moving, deleting or disabling 

I would recommend you to move as a first preference 

Thanks

Mouzzam Hussain

Thanks Mhussain
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:04 AM
  • I found this http://exchangemaster.wordpress.com/2010/03/24/cannot-remove-a-mailbox-database-in-exchange-2010/

I ran Set-AdServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $True then ran get-mailbox -database db1 -arbitration and all of a sudden I now see a mailbox!!!  How annoying.

I moved the arbitraion mailbox to another DB and I was then able to delete the DB.

I was not aware of the Set-AdServerSettings command.

• Marked as answer by MarkieSA Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:05 AM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:05 AM
  • so im in the same boat.  However I have tried what MarkieSA has suggested and I still see no mailboxes.

I then stumbled across another post and used this cmd to finally find the hidden mailbox:

get-mailboxstatistics -database <databasename> |fl

Viola!

• Edited by jdatann Friday, January 20, 2012 9:30 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2012 9:12 PM
  • Same situation here, and the Set-AdServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $True command did the trick for me to see the arbitration mailboxes.

My guess is that in these scenarios, Exchange is running in a child domain but because it was prepped originally at the forest level those mailboxes resided in the top of the tree.

Friday, July 20, 2012 2:59 PM
  • UPDATE.

I eventually managed to get rid of the DB, the only way I could delete it was by using ADSIEDIT.  As far as I'm concerned using ADSIEDIT is far too brutal to have to delete an Exchange DB, you should be able to do it through the EMC or the Exchange powershell.

Monday, July 23, 2012 9:21 AM
  • I found this http://exchangemaster.wordpress.com/2010/03/24/cannot-remove-a-mailbox-database-in-exchange-2010/

I ran Set-AdServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $True then ran get-mailbox -database db1 -arbitration and all of a sudden I now see a mailbox!!!  How annoying.

I moved the arbitraion mailbox to another DB and I was then able to delete the DB.

I was not aware of the Set-AdServerSettings command.

Maybe the problem is the Archive Database. So, pick on "Recipient Configuration" and Add New Column "Archive Database" show All DB (Archive included).
    If the Archive DB y linked to the old DB then launch Request Local Move ...

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:01 PM
  • Remove-Mailbox -database "DatabaseName"  -StoreMailboxIdentity  "Name of SystemMailbox"

Command looks like below:-

remove-mailbox -database "DB1" -StoreMailboxIdentity "SystemMailbox{a2b7be7a-0a6d-4d6c-94db-71fb680c33c6}"

Thursday, October 10, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Hi Sophia Xu,

Please assist me on this one.

I have formatted my mailbox database location and created another mailbox db but i cannot delete the previous from EMC.

When i go to Expand Configuration-Services-Microsoft Exchange-<Organization Name>-Administrative Groups-Servers-<Messaging Server name>-Information Stores. i find nothing to delete.

Help.

Rgds,

Lawrence

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Yes it worked... Thanks a ton !!
    Monday, July 07, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Hi guys,

I follow your instructions and found out a SystemMailbox inside database. Jdatann's command has helped me, but I only saw it after the 30-day period necessary to purge the mailboxes (yes, I've moved over 400 mailboxes).

I have another suggestion, may be returns the same response, but faster: use CSVDE or LDFIDE:

CSVDE -f results.csv -v -d "DC=<your domain>,DC=com" -r "(homemdb=CN=<mbx_database_name>,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<your_exchange_organization>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<your_forest_root_doman>,DC=com)</your_forest_root_doman></your_exchange_organization></mbx_database_name>

Results:

Connecting to "<domain_controller>"
    Logging in as current user using SSPI
    Searching for entries...
    Writing out entries

Exporting entry: "CN=SystemMailbox{fd4bb154-37ce-414a-ad2f-999dd2ff23a0},CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects,DC=your_domain,DC=com"

Export Completed. Post-processing in progress...

HTH.

Marcelo Lucas Guimarães - MCP, MCTS, MCDBA, MCITP Blog: http://mlucasg.wordpress.com

Monday, March 07, 2016 12:27 PM
  • I did it successfully, but in my case was the archiving policy, where I only had a mailbox.
    After that also had reference to a "move request" and also managed to resolve with the command.

Get-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase "Database name"

thank you so much

Thursday, September 29, 2016 1:28 PM
  • I had same issue. this is not last database in my exchange organization and there is no arbitration in this database. 

Set-AdServerSettings -ViewEntireForest $True - done

get-mailboxstatistics -database <databasename> |fl - gives only one system mailbox which is belongs to this database, so i considered it empty

get-moverequest is empty (for both sourcedatabase and targetdatabase)

finally i ran "dsquery * domainroot -attr * -limit 0 > results.txt"

Opened the text file with notepad and searched for a unique string from my database name. In my case, it gave 6 users list those who have this database name in msExchDisabledArchiveDatabaseLink and one user also had in msExchArchiveDatabaseLink 

i cleared this with ADSIEDIT. now i deleted the DB 

kesav

Thursday, December 01, 2016 6:58 AM