Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling IDBInitialize::Initialize. hr = 0x80040e4d. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 18456 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    we are running SQL 2000 on our database server and the current version is 8.00.2039.

I am getting the below error after system DB backup to a tape through veritas netbackup.
    Backup is successful to tape but I am getting below error everyday and application is concerned about the error.

Please let me know how can I fix this error on our Database server.

Sqllib error: OLEDB Error encountered calling IDBInitialize::Initialize. hr = 0x80040e4d. SQLSTATE: 42000, Native Error: 18456

Error state: 1, Severity: 14

Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Error message: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM'.

Sunday, February 21, 2010 3:45 PM

Answers

• Following recommended security best practices,the BUILTIN\Administrators from the SQL Server logins would have been removed in your SQL server and i would think this as the reason for your login failed error message when performing tape backup using VSS.

If this issue occurs again when VSS / tape backup runs , you have to make sure that the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account is granted access to SQL Server. To do this, you must add it as an explicit login. Additionally, because of the types of operations that the writer must perform, it is also recommended that you do not remove the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM login from the sysadmin server role.

Thanks, Leks
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:28 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Following recommended security best practices,the BUILTIN\Administrators from the SQL Server logins would have been removed in your SQL server and i would think this as the reason for your login failed error message when performing tape backup using VSS.

If this issue occurs again when VSS / tape backup runs , you have to make sure that the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account is granted access to SQL Server. To do this, you must add it as an explicit login. Additionally, because of the types of operations that the writer must perform, it is also recommended that you do not remove the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM login from the sysadmin server role.

Thanks, Leks
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:28 PM
    Answerer
  • thank you Leks, the problem is fixed.

thanks, Satheesh
    Monday, February 22, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Hello Guys,

I tried but not be able to resolve this.

Can anyone please send me the steps to do it.

Thanks in advance

Jitender.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:20 PM
  • I tried but not be able to resolve this.

Can anyone please send me the steps to do it.

Resolve what? You are responding to a four old thread, which may have no relevance to your problem. Start a new thread and tell us your situation from the beginning.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:53 PM