none
RAW codec causing visual distortion RRS feed

• Question

• Am I posting in the right forum for this?

After the latest update we've been able to install the new RAW image extension.  Thumbails now appear in explorer as expected.  But we're seeing visual distortion when viewing the RAW images in Pictures.  It displays the image properly for a brief moment, then the image seems to get suddenly brighter and there is a slight change in the zoom.  And, then we see the image with rounded corners -- almost like a dark grey vignette around the outside.  And it seems to be (incorrectly) optimizing levels, because skin tones are blown out past 100%.

More puzzling, when it shows me the "optimized" version (terrible) with the circular edges, the picture is displayed with (what looks like) a gaussian random-color noise overlay -- like Windows is trying to add a film look to the picture.  Opening the same image in another RAW viewer (Panasonic Silkypix) displays the image as taken, without the rounded shading at the corners and without the color noise pattern.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:00 AM

All replies

• First thing I shall try is to update the graphic card driver.

Visit the support site of the graphic card manufacturer to download and install the latest driver.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 12:27 AM
  • Hi,

Please check your Microsoft Store if Photos App has a new update.

Also, please see if your images are compatible with the RAW image extension, check out the project’s website for an up-to-date list of supported cameras.

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. 

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:09 AM