none
Outlook 2010 - Attachment missing - OWA 2010 Attachment available

Question

• Hi guys,

i'm experiencing a strange behaviour. I got an e-mail with an attachment (the sender attached a pdf), but it is not displayed in Outlook 2010. When i open my mailbox in OWA 2010 i also don't see the attachment, but when i double click on the message an open it in a new window the attachment is displayed and can be viewed.

I guess it has to do with the mail encoding. In the message header there is also displayed "Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat""
     as content type. I heard that this can cause the problem.

Is there a way to recover the attachment within outlook 2010?

thanks!

Gottfried

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Gottfried,

Is it occuring with 1-2 users ?. Did you try for new email profile ?. Also check if you have any third part mail scanner or anticirus recently and stop AV service for some time and then check it.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrclients/thread/1753939f-5537-480a-ad07-d6b2e79607c7

Anil
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:04 AM
  • Hello Anil,

thanks for your answer.

This is happening to more users. I forwarded the mail to another user who has a mailbox in another exchange organization where also exchange 2010 is running. When i open the mail there with outlook 2010 I'm also experiencing this behaviour. When i open this mail in owa 2010 i can see the attachment (only after opening the message in a new window). This is happening only with this message. Other mails with attachments are working fine.

I also disabled the AV software for a short period of time, with no luck.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 2:31 PM
  • OK, So the problem is for only kind of message, Can you share if this is different type of mesage (I mean received message from any other external client and forwarding it to others. Also what about if you send same PDF attachment with new email ?

Anil
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 3:09 AM
  • I have the same problem here except that the PDF attachments show up in OWA, but not in Outlook.  I've tried the Level1Remove reg entry and the OutlookSecureTemp reg change, no luck. 

Anybody that can provide a solution?  It makes us look really bad because our staff doesn't know that there are attachments to the messages unless the client tells them there was an attachment. 

Anybody? ...  Bueller?  Bueller?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:24 PM
  • I have the same issue.  Emails show the paper clip indicating the attachment, but we are unable to open or save it.  In OWA, we can do both.  If I flag the email in Outlook, the attachment completely disappears.  This has been seen with pdf and jpg attachments.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:57 PM