Domino 8.5.3 to Exchange 2010 migration RRS feed

• Question

• So, long story short, I've been charged with a hellacious Domino to Exchange migration that I'd appreciate some help on.

First off, we're a small environment (<500 mail users, <100 groups) on Domino 8.5.3 with a handful of sites that are mainly handled from the central office, with one other site that has any server infrastructure of note.  We're essentially in a hub-and-spoke architecture for everything, email included.  Our primary Domino server runs on an AS400 <shudder>,  and we have a secondary Domino server (Dell PE/Windows) at one site, which will hopefully go away (or be re-purposed into something useful, like a DC) as soon as we can get away from needing it for Domino mail.

The word from above is that we'll be using the same email namespace and migrating from our current Domino system to Exchange 2010, and that we'll be doing a co-existence scenario.  (Hopefully a brief one, as we're already getting the "why isn't it done yet?" pressure from above.)  We've purchased the 2010 environment (hosted VM), and have the go ahead to purchase the Quest NME 4.5 tool for as many mailboxes as we need it for, but are not going to get a green light on the more expensive Co-Existence Manager.  At least at the moment, that means the higher-ups have said they're alright with not having calendar interoperability.  (I'll be interested to see how that shakes out, truthfully.)

We don't have a test lab, a project plan or even a dedicated staff for this, so it's basically all me.  No one else here even has any level of experience in even email administration, let alone migration or setup.

The Quest migration tool is rather nice for the migration portion, but of course, doesn't handle mail routing between the two servers, or anything other than getting the data over to the Exchange environment.  Is anyone aware of any tools or docs on how to best accomplish this?  I've found a lot of both for Domino->Exchange 2007, but information as it relates to Domino->Exchange 2010 is much more scarce and seems to all rely on doing it with the more expensive tools we won't be getting.  Or, are the 2007 and 2010 version of Exchange similar enough that, for example, this doc on configuring mail flow between Exchange 2007 and Domino will give me what I need?

Of course, any other advice or nuggets of wisdom from your prior experience would be appreciated too...

TIA.

Monday, March 26, 2012 4:21 PM

Answers

• When it comes to SMTP routing between Domino and Exchange, the mechanics will be the same as Exchange 2007.  I just finished up a GroupWise to Exchange 2010 migration (15,000 mailboxes), and was in much the same scenario as you, management refused to pay for the co-existence piece, so we had to implement a semi-co-existence that would be ok for the short term.  As far as the SMTP routing is concerned, here is how we played it out:

1)  Stand up your exchange 2010 environment and ensure internal email, etc. is all working.

2) Add the primary domain as an Internal Relay domain (this will allow the old system to maintain the original domain name and allow Exchange to host it as well, when a domain is configured as an Internal Relay, Exchange does a lookup for the user in the local system, if the user exists, it delivers the mail, if the user does not exist, it looks for a Send Connector to send the mail through).

3) Create a secondary domain name, something like exch.domain.com,  this will be important to the migrated accounts on the Domino (in your case) side of things, I will get to that later.

4) Create a Send Connector with your primary domain name as the address space and add your accessible SMTP gateways on the Domino side as smart hosts.

5) Setup your Domino servers to send mail for your secondary domain in step 3 to your Exchange 2010 HTs. (I am unsure how this is configured in Domino).

6) Important** - Send all mail destined for your primary domain to Exchange instead of domino,  let your Exchange server(s) handle the routing for your primary domain.

7)  As users are migrated, if the Domino tool is like the GME tool,  they will end up with a forwarding rule in their notes mailbox that sends all email that hits the notes mailbox over to the users new Exchange mailbox.   For example, the users true email is carl@domain.com, and the user is migrated to Exchange.  Since Exchange is receiving all inbound mail, those messages will be delivered to Carl's new Exchange mailbox.  All users still on Notes will email carl from the AB or carl@domain.com, Notes will deliver that mail internally to the users Notes mailbox, the rule will in turn forward the mail over to Exchange using the carl@exch.domain.com email address.

8) Global Address Books/Directories was a bit of a pain and for all users to be able to email anyone in either system during the co-existence phase, MailUsers (or Contacts, whichever you prefer) will be needed for any user that still exist on Notes.  As you migrate users, the MailUser (Or contact) will need to be removed and a mailbox put in place of it.  The NME tool can do alot of this for you, the one thing that I found out is that the users X500 address needed to be saved from when the user was a MailUser (or contact), otherwise some mail gets a little broken (MailTips show up that the user is not available, but the email delivers anyway).  With less than 500 users, you might be able to handle this with having users clear their AutoComplete cache after the migrations are complete.

Any other questions.  It is a bit complicated and with you hosting, it may be a bit more tricky.  I tried to be concise about it, but there are alot of moving pieces/parts and I may have skipped over something..

• Marked as answer by HopelessN00b Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:39 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 7:20 PM

All replies

• When it comes to SMTP routing between Domino and Exchange, the mechanics will be the same as Exchange 2007.  I just finished up a GroupWise to Exchange 2010 migration (15,000 mailboxes), and was in much the same scenario as you, management refused to pay for the co-existence piece, so we had to implement a semi-co-existence that would be ok for the short term.  As far as the SMTP routing is concerned, here is how we played it out:

1)  Stand up your exchange 2010 environment and ensure internal email, etc. is all working.

2) Add the primary domain as an Internal Relay domain (this will allow the old system to maintain the original domain name and allow Exchange to host it as well, when a domain is configured as an Internal Relay, Exchange does a lookup for the user in the local system, if the user exists, it delivers the mail, if the user does not exist, it looks for a Send Connector to send the mail through).

3) Create a secondary domain name, something like exch.domain.com,  this will be important to the migrated accounts on the Domino (in your case) side of things, I will get to that later.

4) Create a Send Connector with your primary domain name as the address space and add your accessible SMTP gateways on the Domino side as smart hosts.

5) Setup your Domino servers to send mail for your secondary domain in step 3 to your Exchange 2010 HTs. (I am unsure how this is configured in Domino).

6) Important** - Send all mail destined for your primary domain to Exchange instead of domino,  let your Exchange server(s) handle the routing for your primary domain.

7)  As users are migrated, if the Domino tool is like the GME tool,  they will end up with a forwarding rule in their notes mailbox that sends all email that hits the notes mailbox over to the users new Exchange mailbox.   For example, the users true email is carl@domain.com, and the user is migrated to Exchange.  Since Exchange is receiving all inbound mail, those messages will be delivered to Carl's new Exchange mailbox.  All users still on Notes will email carl from the AB or carl@domain.com, Notes will deliver that mail internally to the users Notes mailbox, the rule will in turn forward the mail over to Exchange using the carl@exch.domain.com email address.

8) Global Address Books/Directories was a bit of a pain and for all users to be able to email anyone in either system during the co-existence phase, MailUsers (or Contacts, whichever you prefer) will be needed for any user that still exist on Notes.  As you migrate users, the MailUser (Or contact) will need to be removed and a mailbox put in place of it.  The NME tool can do alot of this for you, the one thing that I found out is that the users X500 address needed to be saved from when the user was a MailUser (or contact), otherwise some mail gets a little broken (MailTips show up that the user is not available, but the email delivers anyway).  With less than 500 users, you might be able to handle this with having users clear their AutoComplete cache after the migrations are complete.

Any other questions.  It is a bit complicated and with you hosting, it may be a bit more tricky.  I tried to be concise about it, but there are alot of moving pieces/parts and I may have skipped over something..

• Marked as answer by HopelessN00b Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:39 PM
    Monday, March 26, 2012 7:20 PM
  • So, long story short, I've been charged with a hellacious Domino to Exchange migration that I'd appreciate some help on.

First off, we're a small environment (<500 mail users, <100 groups) on Domino 8.5.3 with a handful of sites that are mainly handled from the central office, with one other site that has any server infrastructure of note.  We're essentially in a hub-and-spoke architecture for everything, email included.  Our primary Domino server runs on an AS400 <shudder>,  and we have a secondary Domino server (Dell PE/Windows) at one site, which will hopefully go away (or be re-purposed into something useful, like a DC) as soon as we can get away from needing it for Domino mail.

The word from above is that we'll be using the same email namespace and migrating from our current Domino system to Exchange 2010, and that we'll be doing a co-existence scenario.  (Hopefully a brief one, as we're already getting the "why isn't it done yet?" pressure from above.)  We've purchased the 2010 environment (hosted VM), and have the go ahead to purchase the Quest NME 4.5 tool for as many mailboxes as we need it for, but are not going to get a green light on the more expensive Co-Existence Manager.  At least at the moment, that means the higher-ups have said they're alright with not having calendar interoperability.  (I'll be interested to see how that shakes out, truthfully.)

We don't have a test lab, a project plan or even a dedicated staff for this, so it's basically all me.  No one else here even has any level of experience in even email administration, let alone migration or setup.

The Quest migration tool is rather nice for the migration portion, but of course, doesn't handle mail routing between the two servers, or anything other than getting the data over to the Exchange environment.  Is anyone aware of any tools or docs on how to best accomplish this?  I've found a lot of both for Domino->Exchange 2007, but information as it relates to Domino->Exchange 2010 is much more scarce and seems to all rely on doing it with the more expensive tools we won't be getting.  Or, are the 2007 and 2010 version of Exchange similar enough that, for example, this doc on configuring mail flow between Exchange 2007 and Domino will give me what I need?

Of course, any other advice or nuggets of wisdom from your prior experience would be appreciated too...

TIA.

Did you gave a thought of using BinaryTree migration Tool?

Gulab Prasad,
    MCITP: Exchange Server 2010 | MCITP: Exchange Server 2007
    MCITP: Lync Server 2010 | MCITP: Windows Server 2008
    My Blog | Z-Hire Employee Provisioning App

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

I've used NME/CMN in some larger projects with success, they are very good and also the support is great if you will face any kind of issue

I posted some articles around the coexistence that can be helpful for you for getting the mail flow in-place

I did also post a old migration article for NME, it really should be updated but I haven't had the time yet

http://www.testlabs.se/blog/2011/01/03/coexistence-between-domino-and-exchange-2010-%E2%80%93-part-1-of-2/

http://www.testlabs.se/blog/2011/01/05/coexistence-between-domino-and-exchange-2010-%E2%80%93-part-2-of-2/

http://www.testlabs.se/blog/2010/10/09/lotus-domino-exchange-2010-in-lab-part-1/

http://www.testlabs.se/blog/2010/11/19/lotus-domino-exchange-2010-in-lab-part-2/

Hope that the posts are helpful for you, compare them with the link you posted and also have a look at transporter suite documentation, it provides pretty good configuration info.

Jonas Andersson | Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011 | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010 | Blog: http://www.testlabs.se/blog | Follow me on twitter: jonand82

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Thanks for the step-by-step.

I think/thought I had it down, but now I'm having trouble getting mail to flow from Exchange to Domino.  (Domino to Exchange works fine, as does everything else, but I can't seem to get Exchange to send mail to Domino users, or figure out why.)

As far as I can tell, I've got everything set up on the Exchange Server (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676395.aspx), and mostly the Domino server (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff597984%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx), with the exception that I "can't" disable read receipts on account of someone of our more "special" users.  But basically, the send/receive connectors are in place for *@domino.domain, and the contacts are in place with the @domino.blah, but they're not actually functioning as intended.  (And, on the Domino servers, the Exchange server has been added to the list of hosts to exclude from anti-relay checking.)

Currently, emails sent from Exchange to Domino bounce back, or if I throw a whole bunch of email address in there (like the NME tool tries), the emails don't bounce back, but never arrive either.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this, or where to look for the problem?
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Are you hosting the same domain name on both systems? (i.e. Domino and Exchange accept mail for thickwidgets.com)

If they are sharing the domain, is your send connector setup to send to that domain?

If you are sharing the domain, are your contacts configured the the internal/external email address as the same?

Pull the tracking logs to see what happened with the email(s).  You should be able to see the response of the remote system or an error code in the logs.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Are you hosting the same domain name on both systems? (i.e. Domino and Exchange accept mail for thickwidgets.com)

If they are sharing the domain, is your send connector setup to send to that domain?

If you are sharing the domain, are your contacts configured the the internal/external email address as the same?

Pull the tracking logs to see what happened with the email(s).  You should be able to see the response of the remote system or an error code in the logs.

Same namespace, yes.  (With the unimaginative domino. and exchange. as my not-really-existing sub domains.)

Send connector is set up for the domino. sub domain to route email directly to the Domino server.  (Send to the following smart hosts...)

Contacts/Users for the Domino folks currently have user@domain.com as their "external email address," user@domain.com and user@domino.domain.com as the SMTP addresses, and fullname/domain as the "Lotus Notes" address.  This is how the Quest tool has merged them over... seems like that might be the problem, or is that how they're supposed to look?  Come to think of it, are you aware of a config guide for the contacts or address book setup?  I've yet to find one that doesn't presuppose using some 3rd party to automagically handle it.

Friday, March 30, 2012 2:00 PM
  • For a customer from Domino > Exchange 2010 used BinaryTree & it worked great.

Fred Chamanara | Advanced Agile Technology LLC | www.advancedagile.com | Please mark As Answer if you find my contribution useful or if it does answer your question.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:56 PM