locked
Application Event error 3005..http 503

    Question

  • Hello,

    We have SBS 2003 SP2 running Exchange Server 2003 ( Version 6.5 7638.2 SP2 ). We have a few users with iPhone that have email synchronisation configured.

    Most of the time the exchange system would work fine until errors 3005  "Unexpected Exchange mailbox Server error: Server: XXXXX User: [XXXX@YYYY] HTTP status code: [503]. Verify that the Exchange mailbox Server is working correctly. 2 would start clogging the application log file and all mobile users will be uanble to have thier mail synchronised on the mobile devices.

    I have searched and found quite a few arcticles as to suggested resolution:

    http://www.howtonetworking.com/email/oma1.htm

    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=5786

    http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=5801

    http://www.chicagotech.net/troubleshooting/event3005.htm


    But before trying to apply any of these, whenever the server is restarted, the problem would disappear to come back again after about 12 hours.

    I would be grateful if someone could advise on other things to look at first that might be triggering this problem before attempting to make any changes as these work fine for quite some time.

    Thank you very much for your usual and estemmed help.

    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 10:05 AM

All replies

  • Hello,

     

    Do you have Windows Mobile device users? How about them? Do it affect all mobile users?

     

    Please disable all third party software on the server and test the issue. Please run Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ to do an ActiveSync test, it will guide you some general steps for troubleshooting the issue.

     

    You said if you restarted the server and it would work for 12 hours, is there any other related event when the issue happen?

     

    Thanks,

     

    Elvis

    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Hi Elvis,

    Thank u very much for your reply.

    We have only iPhone users right now.

    I have used the https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/  and got the error "Host name X.X.X.X ( IP ) does not match any name found on the server certificate CN=publishing.financial-technology.local, CN=andromeda, CN=localhost, CN=andromeda.financial-technology.local ". When email is configured on the iPhone, I use exactly the same setting, i.e. an IP address and secured port.

    However, this is the IP address used on iPhones. At the time of testing the error 3005 was not being thrown and our system is working fine.

    I have checked the log and server JOb and have only relevant info below for today:

    Time error 3005 started: 04:55:50.

    Other Significant error in Log around this time: System Log, 04:56:30: A process serving application pool 'ExchangeApplicationPool' exceeded time limits during shut down. The process id was '7148'.

    Other running Job: Backup of Mailboxes using Symantec Backup executive.

    I am still digging around and any help is most welcomed !!

    rgds

     

    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Hi

    I have the same problem?

    did you resolve it? 

    Thanks shai
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:40 PM
  • The first step I would recommend is to update the necessary file to the latest versions as per KB 967046 and make sure that the MasSync.dll is updated to the latest version 6.5.7655.
    Also as suggested by Elvis Wei -MSFT already run testexchangeconnectivity and post the results here.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:06 AM
  • I am having the same or similar issue. Was this ever resolved?
    Dave
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Same issue here as well. Would love a solution.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Check with suggestions offerred and post the results as per requested


    Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:49 AM
  • Check with suggestions offerred and post the results as per requested



    Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:49 AM
  • I am also having the same problems... I followed the advice on the above messages and sitll receiving 3005 errors "Unexpected Exchange Server mailbox error..." Http status code 503"...

    When ActiveSync starts to have these problems... the entire exchange server crashes - must reboot the server  to get going again.

    Anyone ever found the answer - ??

    Thank you

    Monday, March 19, 2012 1:01 PM
  • I am having the same problem with Server 2003 and Exchange 6.5, no solution yet?
    Friday, May 18, 2012 2:06 AM
  • One of our clients had this happening too. All users would report that Outlook was "Connecting", while the Exchange Server would kick out errors 3005, 9175, and most importantly, 9690. The 9690 error always happened just before users got the connecting error. It complained that the database had reached the imposed 18GB limit and would be dismounted immediately.

    Once increasing the public and mailbox store limits to 75GB (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912375), and restarting the store service, the problem stopped happening. Next step - getting users to keep their mailboxes clean :)

    Paul
    http://brightedgesolutions.com/

    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 2:14 PM