none
Outlook 2010 - Cannot open your default e-mail folder

    Question

  • Hi,
    I am testing 2010.  I have both 2003 and 2010 running right now.  I created a test account in AD.  I was able configure my Outlook 2010 and add the test account to my outlook profile.  Then I MOVED the email to 2010 using the Exchange 2010 move utility and move was completed.  After that I was able to use webmail and send mail back and forth between 2003 and 2010 users and vise versa.  The thing I cannot do is setup outlook using the test account after the move.  When I launch outlook 2010 I get the following error message.
    Cannot open your default e-mail folder.  You must connect to microsoft exchange with the current profile before you can synchronize your folder with your outlook data file .ost.
    Please assist.  Thanks. 

    David Tabib
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:20 PM

Answers

  • I solved my issue by performing this operation:

    On the first server that I removed CAS from it I issued the command:

    Set-MailboxDatabase "name of the data base" -RpcClientAccessServer the name of the second server

    This is indeed a RPC issue, although the service started the server need to know which server to use fro CAS.

     

     


    David Tabib
    MArk as answer to close the thread
    "Abhi" "Exchange Specialist" ------------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by dtabib Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:35 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:15 PM

All replies

  • Seems to be a problem with the outlook profile. As it is a test account i would create a new Outlook profile. Try first in on-line modus.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Try deleting and recreating your Outlook profile. When you have offline mode configured in Outlook (.ost file), Outlook doesn't like it when you change the main account in the profile.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:48 PM
  • I had this same thing recently.  When I disabled Offline mode in outlook and manually setup the profile etc. I got an error that the Exchange server was unavailable.  There was an exchange service not running.  I think it was the Exchange RPC Client Access service.  Check those!
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:51 PM
  • The service is running.  I have a feeling this is Exchange 2010 issue, I created a new profile, I even used another PC and configured the profile.

     

    The strange part is when I am creating outlook profile and when I type the exchange 2010 server name and user id to configure, the exchange server name does not resolve and it says the server is not available. But, when I type in the 2003 server name and test user, the server 2010 name resolves and system automatically changes the server 2003 name with 2010 server name.  So, something is going on the exchange 2010 server and I do not know what it is yet.


    David Tabib
    Monday, August 22, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Hi David,
    If you are using a proxy server on the Network, make sure that the Exchange 2010 Server is added to the proxy bypass list.
    Martina Miskovic
    Monday, August 22, 2011 5:45 PM
  • I am not running a proxy server.
    David Tabib
    Monday, August 22, 2011 6:19 PM
  • I am reading more and it is pointing me to this direction.  i am not sure anyone has tried this or not.

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/74ede582-fd7a-4b4d-bf06-7fba865c0d73

     

    I am not sure this has anything to do with it or not probably does.  I moved my CAS server from server1 to server2.  Maybe I need to issue a power shell command such to wake up exchange 2010 to use this server 2.   I saw this command on the Microsoft web site:

    Set-MailboxDatabase <Mailbox Database Name> -RpcClientAccessServer <ClientAccessServer or ClientAccessServerArrayID>

     

    Anyone help is appreciated.

     

    Thanks


    David Tabib
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:25 PM
  • I solved my issue by performing this operation:

    On the first server that I removed CAS from it I issued the command:

    Set-MailboxDatabase "name of the data base" -RpcClientAccessServer the name of the second server

    This is indeed a RPC issue, although the service started the server need to know which server to use fro CAS.

     

     


    David Tabib
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:25 PM
  • That makes sense, it was not finding the CAS server.  Thanks for updating with the solution!
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:44 PM
  • I solved my issue by performing this operation:

    On the first server that I removed CAS from it I issued the command:

    Set-MailboxDatabase "name of the data base" -RpcClientAccessServer the name of the second server

    This is indeed a RPC issue, although the service started the server need to know which server to use fro CAS.

     

     


    David Tabib
    MArk as answer to close the thread
    "Abhi" "Exchange Specialist" ------------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by dtabib Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:35 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 3:15 PM