none
Creating a DAG in the Ex2010 RC RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting Fileshare witness permission warning when creating the My dag
    I had simlar problems in the beta but got it to work with the local powershell. Now in the RC there is now local power shell to try and setup the dag

My Server setup is

Dc01
    EX01
    ex02 
    All running windows 2008 r2 rtm Enterpise

Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:54 AM

Answers

All replies

• So you're creating thre FSW on the DC?

If yes it could be a Windows Firewall issue. Try to turn it off while creating the FSW.

Henrik Walther | MVP: Exchange | MCM: Exchange 2007 | MSExchange.org
    • Proposed as answer by WeetA Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Maurice Brown Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:30 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Hello,

i had the same problem on a similar lab :
    WTA-DCP01 (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard / Domain Controler)
    WTA-EXP01 (Windows Server 2008 R2 Entreprise / Exchange 2010 RC Hub, Cas, Mailbox)
    WTA-EXP02 (Windows Server 2008 R2 Entreprise / Exchange 2010 RC Hub, Cas, Mailbox)

WARNING: Specified witness server WTA-DCP01.WEETA.LOCAL is not an Exchange server, or part of the Exchange Servers security group.
    WARNING: Insufficient permissions to access file shares on witness server 'WTA-DCP01.WEETA.LOCAL'. Until this problem is corrected, the databases availability group may be more vulnerable to failures. You can use the Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup cmdlet to try the operation again. Error: Access is denied
    WARNING: The command completed successfully but no settings of 'DAG01' have been modified.

i enabled Remote management on all servers from Server Manager (or winrm quickconfig).
    i disabled FW on domain profile on all servers.
    I added my DC computer to group "Exchange Servers".
    I rebooted all servers

I removed the DAG.
    I created it again.

It worked once then i tried again and it didn't work :(

searching ...

Regards,
    Stéphane
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Henrik I have done this on all my servers. in the mean time i have added a member server just for the dag file share and i am getting the same problem.
    I added the Computer account  to the exchange server group and exchange trusted
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:03 AM
  • i added my DC to security group "Exchange Trusted Subsystem", following warning message disappears :
    WARNING: Specified witness server WTA-DCP01.WEETA.LOCAL is not an Exchange server, or part of the Exchange Servers security group.

but i still have following warning message :
    WARNING: Insufficient permissions to access file shares on witness server 'WTA-DCP01.WEETA.LOCAL'. Until this problem is corrected, the databases availability group may be more vulnerable to failures. You can use the Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup cmdlet to try the operation again. Error: Access is denied

Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:06 AM
  • WeetA seem we in the same boat now i am also just getting the permissions error
    And this is the error i get when addin Ex02 to the dag

Summary: 1 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
    Elapsed time: 00:00:12

EX02
    Failed

Error:
    A server-side database availability group administrative operation failed. Error: The operation failed with message: An error occurred during discovery of the database availability group topology. Error: An error occurred while attempting a cluster operation. Error: Cluster API '"AddClusterNode() (MaxPercentage=12) failed with 0x80070005. Error: Access is denied."' failed. [Server: EX01.contoso.com]

An Active Manager operation failed. Error: An error occurred during discovery of the database availability group topology. Error: An error occurred while attempting a cluster operation. Error: Cluster API '"AddClusterNode() (MaxPercentage=12) failed with 0x80070005. Error: Access is denied."' failed..

Access is denied

Warning:
    The operation wasn't successful because an error was encountered. You may find more details in log file "C:\ExchangeSetupLogs\DagTasks\dagtask_2009-08-20_10-36-50.155_add-databaseavailabiltygroupserver.log".

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
    Add-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer -Identity 'DAG01' -MailboxServer 'EX02'

Elapsed Time: 00:00:12

Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:23 AM
  • Maurice,

i found the reason of our problem on get-help New-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup.

If the witness server you specify is not an Exchang e2010 server, then you must add the Exchange Trusted Subsystem universal security group to the local Administrators group on the witness server.

I added "Exchange Trusted Subsystem" group on Builtin\Administrators group on my DC.

It works fine now.

Regards
    Stéphane
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Weeta tried that and i am still getting the same problem will do some testing later  and get back to you
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Maurice,

try removing all your DAG informations and retry with "Exchange Trusted Subsystem" Group added to members of Builtin\Administrators on your DC.

regards
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Weeta thanks That worked 100%

Monday, August 24, 2009 3:54 PM
  •  My setup is on a VMWare Workstation system. Has anyone actually got DAG FULLY working (across at least two Mailbox Servers) using Server 2008 with SP2? I was able to get over the permissions issue by creating the FWS on a DC (else I got the permissions error when trying to create it on a HUB server - is this the result of the most restrictive permissions?). So, I have a CAS/HUB server, and one MBX server that is 'supposed' to be part of a DAG. When I try to add another MBX server into the DAG I get errors about Exchange Replication service not running? It is running, and is configured just the same as the other MBX server that 'is' part of the DAG.

I can see that 'things' have changed between the earlier Beta and this RC, but it seems that most (if not all) issues noted about DAG in the beta are still inthe RC! This is really worrying if it is the case. Please can some kind and helpful person point me in the direction of a WORKING setup guide for DAG? I have followed the Technet instructions to the letter and I am still scratching my head!

Thanks in advance.

Phil
    Monday, September 7, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Philip we have done this with Windows 2008 sp2 and windows 2008 r2 with r2 you do not need all the extra prereq that you have with Win2k8 R1
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 2:58 PM
  • I have labs running in both Workstation and ESX and I am able to create DAG and add/remove servers with no problem. Using both W2K8 and W2K8-R2-RC.

Do your Exchange servers have two NICs, are the NICs on the same subnet or different ones. You have 2 MB servers - are they both functional without any errors in the log? Have you tried removing the first MB server from the DAG and then deleting the DAG and starting over - AFTER you have made the group membership changes recommended above?
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 4:52 AM