none
Move public folder database from one server to another

Question

• Good morning everybody,

I have Exchange 2010 SP3 Update Rollup 7

I have one CAS server and one mailbox server name SRV01. I add a new mailbox server named SRV02 to repleace SRV01.

I have one public folder database PF01 on server SRV01. I want to move this public folder database from SRV01 to SRV02. I have already spent a considerable time to try to make it, but nothing works. I don't know what to do anymore. I need your help.

There is many posts but they are not precise.

Can you say me exactly step by step what to do please ?

I already create a new public folder database named PF02 on SRV02.

I've read that it's necessary to activate the hierarchy replication. So i active the hierarchy replication of PF01 to PF02. To do this, I activated the "Always run" in the replication tab of the PF01. Then I use this command

.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -Server SRV01 -TopPublicFolder "\" -ServerToAdd SRV02

And then what need I to do ?

Thank you so much for you help !!! I am discouraged

Have a nice day and thanks in advance

• Edited by user_007 Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:12 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:51 PM

Answers

• Good morning everyone,

It was no without problem. What I do :

1. Create a new public folder database in the new server.

2. Replicate hierarchy of public folder in SRV01 to SRV02.

3. Replicate content of public folder from SRV01 to SRV02 with this command (run from SRV01).

.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\" -ServerToAdd "SRV02"

.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\NON_IPM_Subtree" -ServerToAdd SRV02

4. In my case, the existent content does not replicated, only new content replicate. I use exfolder to force content replicate.
    •Download and install exfolders on SRV01
    •Open exfolder -> File -> Connect
    •Choose the PF01
    •The public folder are showing. Right clic on Public Folders and chose Modify all Items. Validate yes twice.
    •The copy start, it take time.

5. Once the copy is finish, change the default PF database on mailbox database and set the PF02 public folder database.

6. Remove replication beetween PF01 and PF02.
    •From SRV01, type this command

cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts"

.\MoveAllReplicas.ps1 -Server SRV01 –NewServer SRV02

7. Remove the PF01

I hope this can help someonelse.

Have a nice day.

• Marked as answer by user_007 Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:28 PM
  • You need to replicate the data from the first database to the second.  You need to be sure you include system folders when you do this.  You need to be sure your mailbox databases all point to the store on the new server (Get-MailboxDatabase | Sort Name | Set-MailboxDatabase -PublicFolderDatabase <new public folder store on new server>).  Once replication is complete, you need to remove the replicas from the first database.  That's pretty much it, as I recall.  But it's been years since I had a public folder database I had to worry about, so I may have missed something.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:32 PM

All replies

• You need to replicate the data from the first database to the second.  You need to be sure you include system folders when you do this.  You need to be sure your mailbox databases all point to the store on the new server (Get-MailboxDatabase | Sort Name | Set-MailboxDatabase -PublicFolderDatabase <new public folder store on new server>).  Once replication is complete, you need to remove the replicas from the first database.  That's pretty much it, as I recall.  But it's been years since I had a public folder database I had to worry about, so I may have missed something.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:32 PM
  • Good morning,

Thank you for your answer.

How can I include system folders for the replication ?

It's this ?

.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\NON_IPM_Subtree" -ServerToAdd SRV02

At what time I need to change the mailbox database to point to the new store ?

Thank you so much.

Friday, July 31, 2015 5:43 AM
  • My previous note had the sequencing right - once you get the replicas on the new database, you can point the mailbox databases at that server.  As for how to include the system folders, the Exchange documentation handles that:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691120%28v=exchg.141%29.aspx

Will Martin ...

Friday, July 31, 2015 1:09 PM
  • Good morning everyone,

It was no without problem. What I do :

1. Create a new public folder database in the new server.

2. Replicate hierarchy of public folder in SRV01 to SRV02.

3. Replicate content of public folder from SRV01 to SRV02 with this command (run from SRV01).

.\AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 -TopPublicFolder "\" -ServerToAdd "SRV02"

4. In my case, the existent content does not replicated, only new content replicate. I use exfolder to force content replicate.
    •Download and install exfolders on SRV01
    •Open exfolder -> File -> Connect
    •Choose the PF01
    •The public folder are showing. Right clic on Public Folders and chose Modify all Items. Validate yes twice.
    •The copy start, it take time.

5. Once the copy is finish, change the default PF database on mailbox database and set the PF02 public folder database.

6. Remove replication beetween PF01 and PF02.
    •From SRV01, type this command

cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts"

.\MoveAllReplicas.ps1 -Server SRV01 –NewServer SRV02

7. Remove the PF01

I hope this can help someonelse.

Have a nice day.

• Marked as answer by user_007 Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:28 PM
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:28 PM