none
Connect Mailbox to new user account RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am in the process of a cross-forest mailbox moved from Exchnage 2010 to Exchnage 2010 and I wanted to know how I can script the process of disabling the mailbox and then reconnecting it to the users new logon ID account after the move process completes.  The users are being migrated from another domain so they are all receiving new logon ID.

Once the mailbox has been migrated I have been manually disabling the mailbox and then reconnecting the mailbox and selecting the users new logon account.  Can this process be scripted?  Or is their another method to perform the mailbox migration so the mailbox is automatically connected to the new account in the target domain.

Any thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please refer to the following article to setup your csv file:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/10/25/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-ii.aspx

Make the user (or patch of users) Mail Enabled User (MEU) (by running Enable-MailUser), setting ExternalEmailAddress matches the same email address of the user in the source forest (this will be the anchor to associate the user in the target forest with the user in the source forest).

The following snapshot shows how to do it for bulk users using (Import-CSV)

clip_image006

We have a very simple csv file that contains two fields as the following snapshot:

clip_image008

Hope it helps you!

Thanks.

Regards, Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

• Marked as answer by IT_Vision Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This might help you.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/e973c4fe-2d2a-4ddc-85ad-298986270d9b/script-connectmailbox-help

Kottees :My Blog Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:10 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following article to setup your csv file:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/10/25/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-ii.aspx

Make the user (or patch of users) Mail Enabled User (MEU) (by running Enable-MailUser), setting ExternalEmailAddress matches the same email address of the user in the source forest (this will be the anchor to associate the user in the target forest with the user in the source forest).

The following snapshot shows how to do it for bulk users using (Import-CSV)

clip_image006

We have a very simple csv file that contains two fields as the following snapshot:

clip_image008

Hope it helps you!

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by IT_Vision Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:35 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 2:24 AM
  • Hi Niko,

We have applied a e-mail policy so users in the source domain now have the same @domain.com address as users in the target domain.  In addition, we have utilized GALSync to keep both Exchange Forests GALs updated until all users have been migrated. 

Am I going to have to delete the mail contact the GAL sync process created in the target domain for the users in the source domain before I run the enable-MailUser command as well as the prepare-moverequest command?

Any clarification on this is appreciated.

Cheers

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:54 AM
  • I ending up having to delete the mail contacts in the target domain.

The mailbox move seems to be successful, however when I try to access the account via OWA, I am getting the Outlook Web App address is out of date message.

Some post indicate this is because is a "Mail User" vs a "Mailbox User".  Is their a work around for this so the user using their new account can access their migrated mailbox via OWA?

Or maybe I am waiting for AD replication to take place.  Is shows in EMC that its a User Mailbox.

Cheers

• Edited by IT_Vision Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:55 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 4:54 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Thursday, September 26, 2013 8:40 AM
  • Hi Niko,

The Mail Enable User option worked out great.  I was able to migrate 300 mailboxes cross-forest with out any issues.  It was a very successful migration.  With the combination of ADMT users SID and group memeberships all were transferred over to the new domain.

Thank you again for the response and details on the mail enabled process.  It help out.

Cheers!

Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Glad to help!

Friday, September 27, 2013 1:53 AM