none
Special Swedish Characters garbled in Message Body

    Question

  • Hello all!

    I have an application relaying mail through our Exchange Server 2003 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 SP2. The application sends out Press Releases but all Swedish Special Characters (Å, Ä and Ö) gets garbled (Å becomes a cross).

    We previously had the application relaying off of another Exchange 2003 SP2 Server (Windows Server 2003 SP1) in the same Exchange Organization and then it worked just fine. I´m leaning towards it beeing some Registry Setting or perhaps Windows Service Pack 2.

    Anyone having a clue?

    Thank you!
    Cheers / Jesper Bernle
    • Edited by Jesper Bernle Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:39 AM Corrected Misspellings
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:37 AM

Answers

  • Hi all!

    This issue was due to the fact that the sending application was formatting in US-ASCII (7-bit) and the problem was solved by having the application sending in Latin-1 instead.

    It´s a bit sad that I never got to understand how my old Exchange Servers actually could handle this and my new installed servers could not.

    But hey - problem solved at least :-)

    Thank you all for your efforts!

    Cheers / Jesper Bernle
    • Marked as answer by Jesper Bernle Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:34 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Just wanted to confirm if you have tried to do a plain SMTP relaying using the SMTP commands and if the mails are delivered successfully.

    Thanks

    Pavan.


    Pavan
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:39 AM
  • Hi Pavan!

    Yes, I did a manual telnet and it´s the same regarding the characters. There is no problem with the delivery.
    Cheers / Jesper Bernle
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:34 AM
  • Check the Locales settings and compare it with old working server

    In ESM right click on exchange server name and then go to properties click on Locales tab


    Vinod |CCNA|MCSE 2003 +Messaging|MCTS|ITIL V3|
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:50 AM
  • Well, I have the Swedish Local installed and relevant Windows Code Pages (1252).

    Stumped ...
    Cheers / Jesper Bernle
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 11:33 AM
  • Hi Jesper,

     

    Would you please let me know whether the message is relayed to external recipient or internal recipient? Which client is used to check the message?

     

    In addition, I suggest yon install Achieve Sink on the Exchange 2003 used to relay message to check the original message.

     

    How to install and use the Archive Sink utility in Exchange Server 2003

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871110/en-us

     

    After installing the tool on Exchange Server, please reproduce the issue and help me gather the message (eml) for further research. You can send the eml files to me at v-mishen@microsoft.com


    Mike Shen 

    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

     

    Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:46 AM
  • Hi Jesper,

    Any update regarding the issue? Whether you are able to receive my response email?

    Thanks,
    Mike
    Friday, August 28, 2009 5:45 AM
  • Hi Mike!

    Sorry to have been so bad at updating this issue. We have opened a Microsoft Ticket for this issue but after one whole week this issue still isn´t solved. :-(

    The suggestion to install the Archive Sink is a good one but it will never be approved by our security team due to the fact that the email going trough this Exchange Server belongs to a nuclear plant and as such all information is more or less top secret.

    The suggestion from the Microsoft Agent in Germany was to install The body of an e-mail message is garbled when the header field and body field are set to different character sets in Exchange Server 2003 but this didn´t solve the issue.

    The next suggestion was to install the archive sink ;-) but as I said before, this will never happen.

    What we have seen though is that the emails arriving in correct format (before the change) had som references to ISO in the header but in the mails arriving as the new Exchange Servers have for some reason removed these ISO-8859-1 referenses in the header.

    I know Exchange Server quite good but this is really the first time I´m totally out of ideas. So your help is really greatly appriciated.

    Thank you for your efforts Mike!

    Cheers,
    Jesper

    Cheers / Jesper Bernle
    Friday, August 28, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Hi all!

    This issue was due to the fact that the sending application was formatting in US-ASCII (7-bit) and the problem was solved by having the application sending in Latin-1 instead.

    It´s a bit sad that I never got to understand how my old Exchange Servers actually could handle this and my new installed servers could not.

    But hey - problem solved at least :-)

    Thank you all for your efforts!

    Cheers / Jesper Bernle
    • Marked as answer by Jesper Bernle Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:34 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:34 PM