Failed to mount database 'Mailbox Database' hr=0x80004005, ec=-528 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, I noticed that my Outlook was disconnected, so on checking the Exchange server (2007 SP1), i realized that the mailbox database is dismounted, all attemps to mount the database results in this error:

Exchange is unable to mount the database thay you specified. Specified database: Servername\First Storage Group\Mailbox Database; Error code: mapiExceptionCallFailed: Unabble to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-528)

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:37 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

It looks like you have removed the log file which has not been wrote into database.

If the database has been shut down correctly(clean shutdown), please moved the Checkpoint file and all Logfiles to a different folder and try to mount database again. If the database has not been shut down correctly(dirty shutdown). You may need to restore the database with the backup. Or you need to do a database repair.

We don’t suggest removing log files as that way, regarding how to remove the log files, you can refer to the following article:

How to remove Exchange Server transaction log files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240145

Hope this helps. Thanks,

Elvis

Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:12 AM
  • I have been able to resole the issue and my mail server is back up and ruuning.

I have to run the eseutil /p to carry out a repair process on the mailbox database, it actually took my hours almost 24 hours to complete the repair process because of my mailbox database size.

i followed through all the instruction. During this process, my information store service was shut down

i navigated to the folder that contained my database on the command prompt window, then i ran this command " eseutil /p "mailbox database.edb" "

after the finishing the repair process, I cleared my Transaction Log Folder by cpying the contents to a temporary folder. With a blank Transaction Log folder, i attempted to mount the database for the storage group.  To my greatest joy, i was able to mount the database and all my users were all back and running.

I have redirected my transaction log folder to another partition on my server that has a much bigger space so my database and transaction logs are on different partitions. should i need to clean up my Transaction logs, the tips that was given by the moderator is going to be a very helpful one which will be my guiding principle when cleaning up.

I want to say a big thank you to all of you out there, you just wonderful. Thank you very much. God bless you all real good.

• Proposed as answer by Igor_Zz Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence YuModerator Monday, April 15, 2013 2:21 AM
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 8:51 PM
  • We're going to jump through every jet error code, aren't we? -550 is DatabaseDirtyShutdown. Using eseutil you should be able to see that the database is in a dirty shutdown state. Using recovery mode of eseutil bring the database to a clean shutdown state. You might have to try two or three times. Once the database says it's in a clean shutdown state you should be able to remount.

By the way, what process do you usually use to cleanup log files? Circular logging, or do you wait for log truncation after a backup?

Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:39 PM

All replies

• -528 is the error code for Current log file missing. Do you see the Exx.log? Is there a file handle open on that log? Is this database on a CMS?

• Proposed as answer by Eulalie42 Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Yes, I can see the E00.log file. i actually clean up some log files earlier in the day when my i noticed that i was running out of space on the hard drive. could that be responsible because i have done this before.  what do you meant by "file handle open"? if you are referring to content management system as regards the database, the answer is no

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 10:30 PM
  • Usually -528 is making reference to the Exx.log (E00.log in your case), but I guess it could apply to one of the logs that you deleted. How many logs did you leave behind? Did you delete a log with 'tmp' in the name? This error might also appear if some other process had the Exx.log open at the same time as when Exchange was trying to open it. It's one of the reasons why you configure your anti virus to not look at the log or database directories. You might have to restore the log files you deleted to mount. It's possible that you deleted a file that didn't have a typical log name (ExxNNNNNNNN.log) and you need to restore it.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:17 PM
  • I did not delete the log with .tmp extension in the name at all but now i cant find it. Also i cant find the MDBdata folder in my exchange installation folder. Could my antivirus be responsible as well because after i finished the clean up i still recieved some mails in my own inbox. One more issue is that i can not lay hands on the transaction log that i deleted because i was running out of space so i did not back them up. Please is there a way out?

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 5:18 AM
  • Go to the mailbox server and try to mount the database. Look at the event viewer and there should be a log in the event viewer with the name of the file it's looking for. If you can find the file put it back.

If you can't find the file try Mount-Database -AcceptDataLoss (you're at the point your going to lose data).

If that doesn't work try Restore-StorageGroup <SG> and then mount.

If that doesn't work create an empty file called Exxtmp.log (so in your case it will be E00tmp.log) put it in the log directory and try to mount.

If that doesn't work create a dummy storage group, and a dummy mailbox database (don't mount it), mark the dummy database for disaster recovery, mount the databaes and move the mailboxes to the new database.

I might have missed something, so I would suggest reading all the documentation you can find on Exchange Disaster Recovery, and follow it closely.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 5:35 AM
  •  

Hello jader3rd, I was able to locat the file which i put back inside the Log folder. I tried to mount the database but i got this error back in return:  Exchange is unable to mount the database atht you specified. Specified database: Servername\ First Storage Group\ Mailbox database;  Error code: MapiExceptioncallfailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x080004005, ec=-515) Then from the even viewer, i have this event ID 454. what do i do next please ?
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 2:03 PM
  • -515 is Missing Log File. There isn't perchance a gap in the log stream that you could fill? Do you know what generation the E00.log is?

Wednesday, October 8, 2008 4:41 PM
  •  

Hi,

It looks like you have removed the log file which has not been wrote into database.

If the database has been shut down correctly(clean shutdown), please moved the Checkpoint file and all Logfiles to a different folder and try to mount database again. If the database has not been shut down correctly(dirty shutdown). You may need to restore the database with the backup. Or you need to do a database repair.

We don’t suggest removing log files as that way, regarding how to remove the log files, you can refer to the following article:

How to remove Exchange Server transaction log files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240145

Hope this helps. Thanks,

Elvis

Thursday, October 9, 2008 8:12 AM
  •  

i was able to locate the sequence of the log that was stated as missing. i have inserted it back into the transaction log folder, now i have this error coming up when i try to mount the storage group back.

Error: Exchange is unable to mount that database that you specified. Specified database: Servername\First Storage Group\Mailbox database; Error code: mapiExceptioncallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-550)

Then from the event viewer, i have the following errors

event id 9519: error database is in inconsistent state starting database "first storage group\mailbox datase" on the microsoft exchange information store.

event id 9518 error database is in inconsistent state starting storage group /DC= LOCAL/DC=DOMAIN/CN=Configuration/CN=Services/CN=Microsoft exchange/CN=Organisation/CNAdministrative Groups/CN=Exchange Administrative group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/CN=Servers/CN=Servername/CN=InformationStore/CN=First Storage Group on the Microsoft exchange Information Store. MDB failed to start. 

Thursday, October 9, 2008 11:01 AM
  • We're going to jump through every jet error code, aren't we? -550 is DatabaseDirtyShutdown. Using eseutil you should be able to see that the database is in a dirty shutdown state. Using recovery mode of eseutil bring the database to a clean shutdown state. You might have to try two or three times. Once the database says it's in a clean shutdown state you should be able to remount.

By the way, what process do you usually use to cleanup log files? Circular logging, or do you wait for log truncation after a backup?

Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:39 PM
  • Hi,

First stop information store, clear the application log and perform check eseutil /mh on the database. It will tell you database is clean or corrupted. If it is clean then select the option "Do not mount the store" and start the information. If you still face the problem then your mailboxes are corrupted and repair it using Stellar phoenix mailbox recovery. Download demo version from here: http://www.ms-exchange-server-recovery.com and check the preview of recovered mailboxes and EDB files.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:18 AM
  • I have been able to resole the issue and my mail server is back up and ruuning.

I have to run the eseutil /p to carry out a repair process on the mailbox database, it actually took my hours almost 24 hours to complete the repair process because of my mailbox database size.

i followed through all the instruction. During this process, my information store service was shut down

i navigated to the folder that contained my database on the command prompt window, then i ran this command " eseutil /p "mailbox database.edb" "

after the finishing the repair process, I cleared my Transaction Log Folder by cpying the contents to a temporary folder. With a blank Transaction Log folder, i attempted to mount the database for the storage group.  To my greatest joy, i was able to mount the database and all my users were all back and running.

I have redirected my transaction log folder to another partition on my server that has a much bigger space so my database and transaction logs are on different partitions. should i need to clean up my Transaction logs, the tips that was given by the moderator is going to be a very helpful one which will be my guiding principle when cleaning up.

I want to say a big thank you to all of you out there, you just wonderful. Thank you very much. God bless you all real good.

• Proposed as answer by Igor_Zz Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence YuModerator Monday, April 15, 2013 2:21 AM
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Hi,

After running eseutil /p you must also run isinteg.

eseutil /p can  be a destructive proces whuch deletes database pages - isinteg corrects links after this,

You should also make sure that yout backup runs - a full exchange backup should clear the transaction logs.

Leif

Monday, October 20, 2008 9:17 AM
  •  NerdNero wrote:

I have been able to resole the issue and my mail server is back up and ruuning.

You save my life Smile
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 10:36 PM

You certainly saved my life also. Thankyou so much for the post...much appreciated
    Friday, July 10, 2009 11:48 PM
  • thank you sooooooooooo much for this post, it helped me alot and saved my life. big thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:55 PM

God bless ya! So many lives were saved. Seems to me, we owe you beer, bro. Or a battle JD Single Barrel. email me if you'll stay in moscow
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:11 PM

God bless ya! So many lives were saved. Seems to me, we owe you beer, bro. Or a battle JD Single Barrel. email me if you'll stay in moscow

( I don't normally post, but have to give thanks, where it's due.- hope this help some lost souls)

I was in the same problem after moving my transaction logs to a  different drive and I guess I deleted some of the files :(. Anyway, I tried the eseutil/p and deleted all my files in my log folder and ---BINGO :) 

So Thank you ALL.!!!

Saturday, September 4, 2010 11:18 AM
  • I had the same problem and I moved back the log files which wasn't writen to the database yet and it worked great.

I could be able to mount the database again.

Thanks you all !

Tommy

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Worked like a charm for me.

Thanks Guys !

Kennedy

Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:22 AM
  • Than you so much for your tip, you literally save my life, i don't have words to express how mucho you help me.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Thanks.. really thanks 

your answer save me!

Thanks

Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:23 AM
  • thanks thanks thanks a lot.

after a lot of googling ... i folder the same steps.

1. shut the store service.
    2. back the exchange db files ( just in case)
    3. eseutil /p <exchange DB>
    4. move the contents of the logs folder to temp directory
    5. restart all the exchange services
    6. and ... awesome. its up.

thanks

thanks

thanks

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

One of the DB in E2k10 was not getting mounted. it had a Dirty shut down.

So i repaired , defraged and insinteg but still not mounting. But now the DB is in Clean shut, but still no go. got below error.-----------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Error
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Failed to mount database 'XXX3'.

XXX3
    Failed
    Error:
    Couldn't mount the database that you specified. Specified database: XXX3; Error code: An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-501)
    . [Database: XXX3, Server: ABC.xyz.com].

An Active Manager operation failed. Error: The database action failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-501)
    . [Database: xxX3, Server: abc.xyz.com]

An Active Manager operation failed. Error: Operation failed with message: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-501)
    . [Server: abc.xyz.com]

MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-501)

Later I moved all the log files, .chk flie to different drive. then tried mounting DB, it mounted. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Vinod

• Proposed as answer by vinod k kumar Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:19 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:19 PM

Hey buddy your are the man ..you just got out of jail ... with your solution. Keep the good work and God bless you ..always.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:59 AM
  • Dear NerdNero, you're my hero, this answer saved my life too., but I'm not understanding why we can easier to delete the file "Exxxtmp.log" , if this is is high important / locked by MS Exchange / in use to writing log, but how come it can easier to remove without any warning!?
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 11:00 PM
  • THANK YOU :-)  This worked perfectly !! I am grateful for your post.

Sunday, January 6, 2013 8:42 PM
  • THANK YOU AS WELL!!  This saved me big time.  I moved some log files to free up space so my backup could complete.  Restored the log files to the original folder and it mounted 1st shot!
    • Edited by Thatsme2121 Monday, August 5, 2013 2:56 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Thatsme2121 Monday, August 5, 2013 2:58 AM
    Monday, August 5, 2013 2:56 AM
  • Thanks
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 3:11 AM
  • Thanks , that helped after hard repair didn't mount

removing all content of log enabled me to mount

Thursday, June 11, 2015 3:13 AM