none
"The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

Question

•   After doing a clean install of windows 7 and installing Office 2010, I
    attempted to configure Outlook for my work email by using a .prf file
    supplied by the company. Outlook fails to open, and I am presented with the
    error message "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook
    must be online or connected to complete this action".

I am definitely connected and online.

I have noticed that
    several others have had a similar problem, but none of the solutions
    suggested have worked for me. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    Office, deleting the mail account and rerunning the .prf file, and manually
    configuring the account according to the companies specs. Nothing works.
    I've also read several posts about changing registry entries, but they all
    refer to entries that I do not have.
    Any suggestions?

Monday, June 07, 2010 3:53 PM

All replies

• Are you an extranet worker?  That is to say, you are trying to connect to Exchange via the internet without a VPN client?  Typically, if you are using Exchange, all you have to do is type in your email address in the new E-mail account settings and Outlook will pull the correct server and database for you.
    Monday, June 07, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Quite frankly, I don't know if I'm an "extranet worker" using a "VPN client" or not.  I'm just a part-time employee of a medium sized company in the USA, and I live in Thailand.  Before having this problem, I had a desktop and netbook both running Windows 7RC, and a laptop running Vista, with all three running Office 07 and accessing my company e-mail using Outlook with no problems (all had been configured using the supplied .prf file).  Then I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on the desktop and netbook, and an upgrade to Windows 7 on the laptop.  After installing Office 07 on the desktop and netbook and attempting to configure Outlook using the .prf file, I was presented with the error message.  Since the laptop was an upgrade, everything continued to work normally there.

I then upgraded all 3 computers to Office 2010 thinking that this might fix the problem.  While the laptop continued to work just fine, the other two saw no change.

A few days ago, after a few hours of frustrating failures trying various "fixes" the day before, Outlook mysteriously started working on the desktop.  I've tried all the same "fixes" on the netbook, but nothing changes.

I'm getting ready to travel and was hoping to take just the netbook, but I really need to access my company email.

Thanks for any help.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 2:16 AM
  • Hi,

I suggest you check your firewall settings, please disable all the firewall in the netbook temporarily and test the issue. At the same time, please ping your server and see if it works.

I would also suggest you contact your IT helpdesk and see if they can offer some help(like “remote desktop” ect..)

Related KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927481

Thanks,

Elvis

Tuesday, June 08, 2010 11:25 AM
  • I don't think that any firewall settings will help. My feeling is that the Outlook has a bug issue.

Here's my strange experience:

I have three POP3 accounts tied to a single Outlook data file (all of them Gmail accounts). I have added an Exchange account tied to a separate data file during my last visit to our company's headquarters. I can only synchronize my Outlook with the Exchange server when I'm connected within the in-house network of our company - I can not synch from anywhere else - company's policy.

Outside our company's HQ I can only access my Exchange account through the web access.

Now the problem is that when I'm outside our company's HQ I can download emails through my other three POP3 accounts, and can send emails only through two of them, but not through the one that has the same first and last name in it as the Exchange account. :)))

This is hillarious. My other two POP3 have "project names" but the one which has my real name can not send mails and gives me the above quoted reason: ""The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

How can this be? When I'm outside my company's HQ I do not need my Outlook set Exchange account, but as long as I don't remove this account I can not use the only one of my other POP3 accounts which shares the same personal name with the Exchange account.

In my Office 2003 Outlook this was never a problem. I was keeping my Exchnage account set and would synch it when I would be at the HQ offices ... as I'm almost always away from the HQ I was still being able to keep my Exchange emails in my outlook and manage them locally.

Thanx in advance for any help how to avoid this problem. Z

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:23 AM
  • This is one of those examples that prove that Outlook doesn't serve multiple masters well.  I recommend that you use separate profiles for POP and MAPI (Exchange Server).
    --
    Ed Crowley MVP
    "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    "zlatko.cherep" wrote in message news:69c6d404-0908-469e-b317-4350abba3905...

I don't think that any firewall settings will help. My feeling is that the Outlook has a bug issue.

Here's my strange experience:

I have three POP3 accounts tied to a single Outlook data file (all of them Gmail accounts). I have added an Exchange account tied to a separate data file during my last visit to our company's headquarters. I can only synchronize my Outlook with the Exchange server when I'm connected within the in-house network of our company - I can not synch from anywhere else - company's policy.

Outside our company's HQ I can only access my Exchange account through the web access.

Now the problem is that when I'm outside our company's HQ I can download emails through my other three POP3 accounts, and can send emails only through two of them, but not through the one that has the same first and last name in it as the Exchange account. :)))

This is hillarious. My other two POP3 have "project names" but the one which has my real name can not send mails and gives me the above quoted reason: ""The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

How can this be? When I'm outside my company's HQ I do not need my Outlook set Exchange account, but as long as I don't remove this account I can not use the only one of my other POP3 accounts which shares the same personal name with the Exchange account.

In my Office 2003 Outlook this was never a problem. I was keeping my Exchnage account set and would synch it when I would be at the HQ offices ... as I'm almost always away from the HQ I was still being able to keep my Exchange emails in my outlook and manage them locally.

Thanx in advance for any help how to avoid this problem. Z

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 2:55 PM
  • I had the same issue as you. I have two accounts in Outlook 2010, one of which is an Exchange account for work. Everything worked Ok on both accounts, except when I went to send a message using the personal (POP) account. I would always get the error "The Connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable...".

After 2 hours of searching and trying different things, thankfully I came across Ed Crowley's reply to your post and set up the two accounts in different Profiles. (Deleted the POP account and recreated under a new Profile) This worked!

Monday, November 22, 2010 8:13 PM
  • HELP!  I have same problem and I can't even get into Outlook anymore... I am on 2010 and win 7 and all of a sudden I can't access Outlook and I don't know all of the technical names, but I was trying to use two different email accounts also with outlook because it worked at home but doesn't now at the office.  I uninstalled MS Office and reinstalled and I STILL have the same error as above and can't get in, help!!!
    Friday, December 03, 2010 10:37 PM
  • I recommend that you post your entirely different problem to the Outlook forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlook/threads

Good luck!

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Monday, December 06, 2010 3:36 PM