DAG Member Showing Service Down on All Databases RRS feed

• Question

• I inherited a flaky Exchange 2010 infrastructure and it's stumping me so far.  I have a three member DAG one of which is showing all databases as "ServiceDown" when viewed from EMC on another DAG member.  However, when I log on to the flaky DAG member I can see all three DAG members in EMC with normal databases.  It's like this DAG member can see the other two members but they cannot see this DAG member.  

A symptom of this problem is that when I ping the "failed" DAG member from another machine including the other DAG members they return the APIPA address of the MS Virtual Clustering Adapter.  I checked the adapter bindings and since the MS adapter is hidden, there's no option to move it down in the binding order.  Another symptom is that the "failed" DAG member doesn't have a DNS entry and running ipconfig /registerdns returns an error in the eventlog that the server couldn't be registered.  The server also believes it's not connected to the Internet even though it can.  

Have any of you run into an issue like this?  The only solution I can think of is to manually create a host file entry on the other two DAG members pointing to the correct IP address of the other DAG member.  However, it's still a weird issue that I would like to get to the bottom of.  All machines are ESX4 VMs.  

Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:25 PM

All replies

• Did you set an IP for your DAG?  This is required if your server environment doesn't have DHCP.  Also, do you have multiple network adapters for the DAG nodes?  Are some private only?  Are they all set/not set to register in DNS?

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  My environment does have DHCP but the servers have statically assigned IP addresses.  The DAG nodes each have two adapters, the standard network adapter and an adapter for the heartbeat.  
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:37 PM
  • have you disabled dns registration on the 2nd nic?

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

Friday, August 12, 2011 4:58 PM
  • Is the DHCP Client service running on the servers that are failing to register in DNS? What is the exact error?

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:41 PM
  • DNS registration was already disabled on the 2nd NIC.  
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:33 AM
  • All DAG members have statically assigned addresses if that matters. 
    Saturday, August 13, 2011 1:34 AM
  • All DAG members have statically assigned addresses if that matters. 

Yea, but is the DHCP client service running as well? It should be.

Saturday, August 13, 2011 2:29 AM
  • DHCP client service is running.  When I try to run ipconfig /registerdns the wrong adapter tries to register.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:12 AM
  • DHCP client service is running.  When I try to run ipconfig /registerdns the wrong adapter tries to register.

Your network binding seems to be wrong and has to be fixed.

1. Start > Run > ncpa.cpl
    2. Use Alt+N to display the Advanced menu
    3. Select Advanced Settings. On the Adapters and Bindings tab you can make your appropriate changes.

Make sure that your LAN Adapter/MAPI  is on top of the binding order

Martina Miskovic
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:52 AM