none
Exchange 2010 logs not clearing after backup RRS feed

• Question

• Environment:

Exchange Version: 14.02.0298.004
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1

Problem:

I have inherited an Exchange 2010 box whose hard drive hosting the Exchange data is all but full (6GB remaining of the 683GB). From what I can work out it has never been backed up since the server was re-built by my predecessor after a crash (again without backup!).

The problem I have is that no matter what I try I cannot clear these logs and my Exchange Server is about to start throwing a tantrum! Originally there was enough time to get through to the next chance I would get to take the server offline for as long as I needed, but the logs are being created faster than I had envisaged for this time of year.

There are currently:
    556,196 Files totalling 583GB in the Logs folder!

Attempts so far:

Attempt 1

First of all I attempted to back up the server using Windows Server Backup which I hoped would trigger the Exchange Server to clear its transaction logs once it had played it back against the database, but every time I run the backup it completes but with a warning and doesn't clear the logs.

Error: The consistency check failed for the component
      Microsoft Exchange Server\Microsoft Information Store\MYSERVERNAME\MYGUID

The VHDs it creates are mountable etc but it doesn't solve my issue with the log files eating up all the free space on the drive.

Attempt 2

Next I verified the logs agaisnt the database in case there were any inconsistencies causing Windows Server Backup to not like clearing the logs. I ran the following against the backed up versions of the database / logs:

Logs:

Extensible Storage Engine Utilities for Microsoft(R) Exchange Server
      Version 14.02
      Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Error: Access to source database 'E00' failed with Jet error -1811.

Initiating CHECKSUM mode...

Verifying log files...
         Base name: E00

Log file: G:\Exchange Logs\Mail\e0000000001.log - OK
          Log file: G:\Exchange Logs\Mail\e0000000002.log - OK
          Log file: G:\Exchange Logs\Mail\e0000000003.log - OK
          Blah blah blah for a bazillionmillion files......!

No damaged log files were found.

Operation completed successfully in 14914.787 seconds.

Database:

Extensible Storage Engine Utilities for Microsoft(R) Exchange Server
      Version 14.02
      Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Initiating CHECKSUM mode...
            Database: G:\Exchange Database\Mail\Mail.edb
            Temp. Database: TEMPCHKSUM6888.EDB

File: G:\Exchange Database\Mail\Mail.edb
                         Checksum Status (% complete)

0    10   20   30   40   50   60   70   80   90  100
              |----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|
      3150082 pages seen
      0 bad checksums
      0 correctable checksums
      86461 uninitialized pages
      0 wrong page numbers
      0x1043935d5 highest dbtime (pgno 0xf9df2)

1575041 reads performed
      98440 MB read
      453 seconds taken
      217 MB/second
      464585949 milliseconds used
      294 milliseconds per read
      47175 milliseconds for the slowest read
      0 milliseconds for the fastest read

Operation completed successfully in 454.10 seconds.

Possible next steps?

I have found a number of posts on-line mentioning enabling circular logging as one way of getting the server back to a baseline to then continue from, but I don't entirely understand the ramifications of doing this without some more guidance on the potential fallout of doing so.

Any guidance or advice would be gratefully received.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:00 AM

Answers

• There is something you can make to save the day but it is not prefarable

You can enable the Circular Logging on the Databases , then restart the information store service, this will truncate all the logs

After all logs truncated , you will have to Disable circular logging, then configure a backup job to take full backup of the DB and truncate the logs

Monitor this job to check if it truncates the logs or not 

John Yassa - Senior Platform Engineer - http://johnyassa.wordpress.com/

• Proposed as answer by John.Yassa Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Monday, May 6, 2013 1:51 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Nothing critical issue, just it is not recommended 

It is recommended to have logs in case to backup or restore

All what you will do is that you will force the exchange to truncate the logs , then roll back and you will find the exchange start creating logs again , and at that time you will create a weekly or daily full backup job 

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:18 AM

All replies

• There is something you can make to save the day but it is not prefarable

You can enable the Circular Logging on the Databases , then restart the information store service, this will truncate all the logs

After all logs truncated , you will have to Disable circular logging, then configure a backup job to take full backup of the DB and truncate the logs

Monitor this job to check if it truncates the logs or not 

• Proposed as answer by John.Yassa Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:06 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:06 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply John.

What are the most likely potential issues I may experience in enabling the circular logging?

And do the instructions here http://www.kenclark-ict.com/exchange-2010-log-files-not-deleting-after-a-full-vss-backup/ cover what you are suggesting I try?

Many thanks,

James

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Hi

I agree with John.  You don't have any backups of this database so enabling circular logging is not a problem as logs will only be truncated that have been successfully written to the database.

Cheers, Steve

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:13 AM
  • Hi James,

Have you backup through the Windows Backup feature or any other 3rd Party backup?

If you backup the exchange database, have you doing full backup or copy backup?

While initiate the windows backup select advance option and select full backup which will clear the all committed logs.

If still not clearing the logs, Please check the VSSWritter status by following

(Run the command (CMD) through administrator) vssadmin /listwriters

Check the status of Exchange Information store and if you have dag enabled check the Exchange Replica as well.

It should be Ready status and last error would be stable.

If VSSWritter itself fine, Check how soon logs getting filling up.

If it's increasing very faster than the normal, check whether any active sync device causing the issue.

You can check through IIS logs http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/03/07/introducing-log-parser-studio.aspx

Also use Exmon to check which user utilizing more system resource and check the user activity.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nawar/archive/2011/12/18/microsoft-exchange-server-user-monitor-exmon.aspx

If you want to remove the logs which is older than 3 days follow the below..

forfiles.exe /p E:\Logs\RICWCMAIL2-2010DB1 /m *.log /d -3 /c "cmd /c del @file"

Regards

Ganga Enterprise Messaging Administrator-Exchange 2010. Windows 2008 Active Directory Configuring.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:15 AM
  • Nothing critical issue, just it is not recommended 

It is recommended to have logs in case to backup or restore

All what you will do is that you will force the exchange to truncate the logs , then roll back and you will find the exchange start creating logs again , and at that time you will create a weekly or daily full backup job 

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:18 AM
  • Definitely worth checking if Exchange thinks it's been backed up, eg you can check the last successful backup according to Exchange:

Get-mailboxdatabase -status | fl *backup*

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 12:03 AM