Add addtitional dag members RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

As of today our dag consists of 4 dag members, each database is replicated to 3 servers. We are using mountpoints for our databases. If we need to add additional servers to our Dag, what is is best practice for the database path? Should we add identical path to all our servers or should we figure out which servers could own the different databases. If we would choose the first option we really would need alot of disk to our system?

Any thoughts, pointers, ideas. Everything is appreciated.

Thanks,

UC

Saturday, May 26, 2012 7:34 AM

Answers

• Each database's EDB and log volume path must be the same on every DAG member that holds a replica of it.  That's a requirement, not simply a best practice.  That's pretty easy to enforce when you use mount points.  There is no need to assign mount points or disks to a server for databases you have no intention of replicating to it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Marked as answer by uc2be Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:06 PM
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:51 PM

All replies

• Each database's EDB and log volume path must be the same on every DAG member that holds a replica of it.  That's a requirement, not simply a best practice.  That's pretty easy to enforce when you use mount points.  There is no need to assign mount points or disks to a server for databases you have no intention of replicating to it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Marked as answer by uc2be Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:06 PM
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:51 PM
  • ok I understand..i think :) If I add a new server to the dag and want that server to keep a copy of a database prestent on the other servers I need to make sure I have the same path on that server?

Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:29 PM
  • Exactly.

Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:12 AM