none
New Exchange 2010 Users can't receive external email.

Question

• HI all, 

I have been trying to find the fix about this for a while and looking around to similar threads the problem seems to be that unlike everyone else. The external sender of the message receives no errors.

We are running MS Exchange 2010 Standard on Windows 2008 R2. We have three new users all made within a week of each other and none of them can receive external emails. Everyone before this date can still receive them no problem. I deleted mailboxes and recreated them, Ive created new users with the same problem. We have contacted our ISP and DNS providers and everything seems to be working fine. I can send them emails via Gmail and get no errors but they never receive it.

A few weird things to note.

-When we send an external email their inbox count in exchange goes up but they cannot see it.

-When we try to query emails to their mailbox from senders the exchange server shows nothing going in. 

-There are no errors thrown on any event logs

-they can receive internal emails fine.

-when trying to login via OWA they only get internal emails as well. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 1:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    Are there any helpful information in the messagetracking logs?
    Example: Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender external@domain.com -Recipients internal@domain.local | fl

You mentioned "We have contacted our ISP..."
    Are you by any chance running SBS2011 and using the POP3 Connector?

If so, it might be better if you ask in the Small Business Server Forum
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Martina Miskovic - http://www.nic2012.com/
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:13 AM
  • Hi,

First please verify if you can send email to external users.

Please try to use nslookup to see if mx record has been pointed to your hub(Edge) Server.

Please verify if you have allowed Anonymous connection from default receive connector.

1. Expand Server Configuration, click Hub Transport, and in the work pane under the Receive Connectors tab, select the Default <Server Name> connector. In the action pane, click Properties.
    2. In <Connector> Properties, select the Permissions tab.
    3. Select Anonymous Users to add anonymous permissions. Click OK.

Xiu

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Are there any helpful information in the messagetracking logs?
    Example: Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender external@domain.com -Recipients internal@domain.local | fl

You mentioned "We have contacted our ISP..."
    Are you by any chance running SBS2011 and using the POP3 Connector?

If so, it might be better if you ask in the Small Business Server Forum
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbusinessserver/threads

Martina Miskovic - http://www.nic2012.com/
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 4:13 AM
  • We were using SBS in the past from what I hear (I am fairly new to this company) however we have migrated away from it. I have tried the command you gave me and nothing appears.

I also tried

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender External@Domain.com: The logs show nothing being sent to that mailing address but it does every other mail address I tried.

Get-MessageTrackingLog -Recipient Internal@Domain.com: Only showed logs of internal email routes.

I have confirmed that they can send out but when the external user tried to reply no log is generated.

We currently Have 126 Mailboxes and the last four created cannot receive outside emails. I am not well versed in Exchange yet, is it possible the we ran out of some type of license or something that would prevent the mailboxes to become completely active?

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 3:05 PM
  • Hi,

First please verify if you can send email to external users.

Please try to use nslookup to see if mx record has been pointed to your hub(Edge) Server.

Please verify if you have allowed Anonymous connection from default receive connector.

1. Expand Server Configuration, click Hub Transport, and in the work pane under the Receive Connectors tab, select the Default <Server Name> connector. In the action pane, click Properties.
    2. In <Connector> Properties, select the Permissions tab.
    3. Select Anonymous Users to add anonymous permissions. Click OK.

Xiu

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:24 AM