AD server name too long for Exchange 2007 installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I have started another post about my problems of not being able to complete the Exchange 2007 installation. However, comparing the error message I get, which is Active Directory server  is not available. Error message:  A local error occured with other similar message in the forum, I noticed that there are two spaces in the message, where I should see my server name. For historic reasons, the AD server name is exchange-admin.exchange-admin.cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca , might this be too long a name for the installation process?
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check application log and then please post the error event information here.

Then please run DCdiag and NETdiag from the Exchange Server.

Also nltest /dsgetdc:domain.com to see if it can return the DC name.

How to use the Network Diagnostics Tool (Netdiag.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321708

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776854(WS.10).aspx

Regards,
    Xiu
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:50 AM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Hi Xiu,
    your advice about netdiag helped a lot. I ran netdiag /fix on my DC and now the installation is no longer blocked.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 7:35 PM

All replies

• Actully this name is too long to be a host name for a Domain Contoller. 

Active Directory server  is not available  is a different error and can have multiple reasons for the same (i havnt seen your last post). For server name too long , try to continue the deployment with a shorter name or just have a look into this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996445.aspx.
    Raj
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:14 AM
  •  Yes i agree with Rajnish.

I would always prefer reading the Common Unsupported Exchange 2007 Configurations before i start

see below

Common Unsupported Exchange 2007 Configurations
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd577077.aspx

Vinod |CCNA|MCSE 2003 +Messaging|MCTS|ITIL V3|
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:57 AM
  • I'm not sure if you are talking about the NetBIOS host name for the Domain Controller; if so, the NetBIOS name is EXCHANGE-ADMIN0 which is not too long.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:33 PM
  • I read this document and could not find anything relevant to my situation.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

Please check setup log for Exchange Server and then post the detail error information here.

What is the name of your Exchange Server?

What is the name of your domain controller?

Besides,I recommend you to run ExBPA and then post the report here.

Regards,
    Xiu 
    Friday, November 27, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Hi,
    in the setup log, I find this:
    ------------
    [2009-11-23 15:11:05] [1] Found 165 tasks to execute
    [2009-11-23 15:11:05] [1] Processing component 'Legacy Global AD Configuration' (Préparation de la forêt héritée.).
    [2009-11-23 15:11:05] [1] Executing 'if ($RoleDomain -ne $null) { initialize-ExchangeLegacyPermissions -Domain $RoleDomain -DomainController $RoleDomainController; } else { initialize-ExchangeLegacyPermissions -AllDomains:$true -DomainController $RoleDomainController; }', handleError = False
    [2009-11-23 15:11:05] [2] Launching sub-task '$error.Clear(); if ($RoleDomain -ne $null) { initialize-ExchangeLegacyPermissions -Domain $RoleDomain -DomainController $RoleDomainController; } else { initialize-ExchangeLegacyPermissions -AllDomains:$true -DomainController $RoleDomainController; }'.
    [2009-11-23 15:11:05] [2] Beginning processing.
    [2009-11-23 15:11:06] [2] [ERROR] Active Directory server  is not available. Error message: A local error occurred.
    [2009-11-23 15:11:06] [2] [ERROR] A local error occurred.
    [2009-11-23 15:11:06] [1] The following 1 error(s) occurred during task execution:
    [2009-11-23 15:11:06] [1] 0.  ErrorRecord: Active Directory server  is not available. Error message: A local error occurred.
    [2009-11-23 15:11:06] [1] 0.  ErrorRecord: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADTransientException: Active Directory server  is not available. Error message: A local error occurred. ---> System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapException: A local error occurred.
       at System.DirectoryServices.Protocols.LdapConnection.BindHelper(NetworkCredential newCredential, Boolean needSetCredential)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.PooledLdapConnection.BindWithRetry(Int32 maxRetries)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.PooledLdapConnection.BindWithRetry(Int32 maxRetries)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.LdapConnectionPool.CreateOneTimeConnection(NetworkCredential networkCredential, ADServerInfo serverInfo)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.TopologyProvider.PopulateDomainNamingContexts()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.GetRootDomainNamingContext()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.SystemConfiguration.ADForest.FindRootDomain()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Tasks.SetupTaskBase.InternalBeginProcessing()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Tasks.InitializeExchangeLegacyPermissions.InternalBeginProcessing()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task.BeginProcessing()
    [2009-11-23 15:11:06] [1] [ERROR] Active Directory server  is not available. Error message: A local error occurred.
    [2009-11-23 15:11:06] [1] [ERROR] A local error occurred.
    [2009-11-23 15:11:06] [1] Setup is halting task execution because of one or more errors in a critical task.
    [2009-11-23 15:11:06] [1] Finished executing component tasks.
    [2009-11-23 15:11:06] [1] Ending processing.
    [2009-11-23 15:11:20] [0] End of Setup
    [2009-11-23 15:11:20] [0] **********************************************
    ----------

I have an existing Exchange 2003 server, its DNS name is exchange-admin.exchange-admin.cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca and its NetBIOS name is EXCHANGE-ADMIN0. This is also the domain controller.

The new server on which I'm trying to install Exchange 2007 is exchange-2007.exchange-admin.cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca and its NetBIOS name is EXCHANGE-2007. It has been joined to the existing domain.

I ran ExBPA and got a few messages:
    - VMware detected (I know that it's not supported but I'm running the Exchange 2003 server on VMware and it runs fine)
    - it expects to find a principal service name HOST/exchange-admin.exchange-admin.cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca, so I add this name with setspn but the name disappears after a few hours.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Sounds crazy, but if you delete the existing Windows profile of the user that has the required Exchange permissions, logon back as that user to the server and re-run setup, does it work?

Friday, November 27, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Thanks but I tried it already and it does not help.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 4:19 PM
  • Hi,

Please check application log and then please post the error event information here.

Then please run DCdiag and NETdiag from the Exchange Server.

Also nltest /dsgetdc:domain.com to see if it can return the DC name.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321708

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776854(WS.10).aspx

Regards,
    Xiu
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Besides,please understand that VM is not supported for Exchange. You can try to use Hyper-V.

Support policy for Microsoft software running in non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=897615

Exchange server running under VMware
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996993.aspx

Regards,
    Xiu
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Hi Xiu,
    here is a first answer. On the server where I want to install Exchange 2007, I ran nltest /dsgetdc:exchange-admin.cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca and this command completed successfully. In the returned info, I got

DC: \\exchange-admin.cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
    Dom Name: exchange-admin.cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca
    Forest Name: exchange-admin.cegepsherbrooke.qc.ca

Is it a problem that the name of the DC is the same as the domain name?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Hi Xiu,
    your advice about netdiag helped a lot. I ran netdiag /fix on my DC and now the installation is no longer blocked.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 7:35 PM
  • Glad to hear it works now. :)

Xiu
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 2:50 AM