none
Importing sub-project changes dates RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to import a sub-project but turning off the link check box so it goes into the other schedule as just tasks. Both schedules already have some progress already included.

The problem is that some of the dates are changing during the import, the predecessor network with previous actuals should compensate for any discrepancies in project start dates.  In fact some of the tasks are now scheduled to finish on non-working days.

Both of the schedules have calendars showing non-working days and they have the exact same dates in them. There are resources in both schedules but there have been no changes to resource calendars.

I know I'm clutching at straws here; and it may have nothing to do with it; but the two schedules were created in different time zones.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You

Monday, June 8, 2020 11:10 PM

All replies

• Glgamesh-aust,

It sounds like you are trying to create a static master. You need to make sure both the master and the subproject being inserted use the same calendar and have the same Project Start Date (and time). If both projects do NOT have those things in common then indeed you will see discrepancies when you import. The calendar and Project Start Date of the master takes precedence over the calendar and Project Start Date of the subproject, if different.

Time zones shouldn't matter but you probably want to make sure both projects use the same date/time format.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 2:14 AM
  • Hello John,

Thank you for the prompt response. A "Static Master" is a very good description of what we are trying to achieve.

Based upon your comments I ran a test

I created a blank schedule and set the start date and time to match the schedule being imported.

I used the Organiser to copy the calendar from the schedule being imported into the blank one so that I know they are the same. Both the importee schedule and the new blank one use this as the default calendar.

I also made sure both were using the same date format (dd/mm/yyyy).

After the import into this blank schedule I still had the same tasks being scheduled for non-working days in the calendar where as in the importee schedule they are only on working days.

As mentioned both schedules use the same calendar (lets call it MyCal) which is the one used in Project Information. But I decided to do another test. In the new blank schedule I overwrote the "Standard" calendar with MyCal, then imported the other schedule. Now the imported dates match what they should be.

I have to admit to a level of confusion as the schedules are told to use MyCal but they still seem to want to use standard. As some additional information - The importee schedule used to use just Standard, but this was copied into MyCal to be consistent with the importing schedule. The Project Information in the importee was updated to use MyCal at this point as well.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 6:04 AM
  • Gilgamesh-aust,

Sounds like you did the right thing but I don't quite understand your sixth paragraph where you say you "overwrote" the Standard calendar. What exactly does that mean?

And then in your last paragraph you mention that the original subproject used the Standard but "this was copied into MyCal". What exactly does that mean?

John

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 1:29 PM
  • Hello John,

Sorry for the delay and sorry for poor wording on my part.

By Overwrote Standard I meant that the non-working days from MyCal were copied onto the Standard Calendar.

"copied into MyCal". Some historical context is needed here. The sub-project originally just used Standard calendar and all the non working days were set up in that. I simply used the "Create New Calendar" feature to create MyCal with all the same non-working days so that it would use the same calendar as the master. The non-working days remained in the sub-project Standard calendar as well.

I have also done some further checking. All of the resources in the sub-project have a Base Calendar of Standard. So when the sub-project is imported they now use the Masters Standard calendar which does not have any of the non-working days. The master "appears" to be scheduling the tasks solely on the Resource base calendar of Standard rather than project calendar of MyCal set in Project Information.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 9:55 PM
  • Gilgamesh-aust,

Rather than modifying the Standard calendar, it is better to make a custom calendar using a copy of the Standard.

If I understand your last paragraph it sounds like you found the problem, namely, the resource Base Calendar was not MyCal but the Standard at subproject level but when inserted into the master, the resource Base Calendar picked up the MyCal project calendar of the master. Did I get that right?

If you problem is solved, give yourself credit for the answer or throw a vote my way if I helped get you there. But, if you problem is not solved, please elaborate with more details.

John

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 11:52 PM