Desktop switches RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following issue: I am working on 2/3 desktops on the same pc (separate tasks on separate desktops) but when opening any of the office products (excel or word most of the time) it switches the desktop. For example, I 've opened a word file on desktop 1 and after that, I've switched to desktop 2 to work on a separate project and when I try to open a word file on that desktop the pc switches to desktop 1 (that happens only if there is an open word file ofc) and opens it there. Had the same issue on several devices already. Is there a solution or it is what it is?
    Monday, June 29, 2020 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Adimitrov,

I tested in my Windows 10 and get the same result with you. After some research, I think it is by design. Although it is inconvenience, this is how virtual desktop works. Thanks for your understanding.

If it is inconvenience for your, you may try some third-party application for virtual desktop.

Below is an article that talking about this issue, for your reference:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/new-instances-of-an-application-open-in-incorrect/cbba7f7d-1b5a-477e-b8cd-d5da7295e33a

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 7:23 AM
  • Hi Adimitrov,

I am monitoring on this thread and am writing to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, please mark the useful reply as answer, so that we can end this thread. If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to feedback.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 2, 2020 2:11 AM