Can't create new distribution group? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Yes I know, I know... Exchange 2007 is no longer supported, I'd upgrade if I could.

That said... I'm simply trying to create a new distribution list and keep getting the following error in the Management Console:

Summary: 1 item(s). 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
    Elapsed time: 00:00:00

Managers/On-Call
    Failed

Error:
    The Exchange server address list service failed to respond. This could be because of an address list or email address policy configuration error.

Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
    new-DistributionGroup -Name 'Managers/On-Call' -Type 'Distribution' -OrganizationalUnit 'mydomain.com/accounts/groups' -SamAccountName 'Managers_On-Call' -Alias 'Managers_On-Call'

Elapsed Time: 00:00:00

When I try it in Power Shell I get a similar message and this:

The Exchange server address list service failed to respond. This could be because of an address list or email address policy configuration error.
    At line:1 char:1
    +  <<<< New-DistributionGroup -Name "!Managers On-Call" -OrganizationalUnit "mydomain.com/accounts/groups"-Samaccountname "!ManagersOn-Call" -Ty
    pe "Distribution"
        + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [], RusServerUnavailableException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CE0D4B03

Any thoughts?  You can see that I even tried removing the slashes from the group name, even though I have other groups with slashes in the names.  What do you suppose it means, "Resourceunavailable"?

Thanks in advance,

Linn

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Lynn,

Sorry for the delayed response.  I was able to increase the disk size on the disk that holds the database files, gotta love VMware.  Once I gave the system more room to work with I was able to create my distribution list.

Thanks much for the help,

Linn

• Marked as answer by lkubler Monday, August 28, 2017 5:48 PM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Make sure all necessary Exchange services are running, especially System Attendant service. Last time I meet this error message, System Attendant service is not running, after I start this service, mailbox/distribution group creation works. If this service is running, then try to restart it.

More causes, refer to this blog:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dgoldman/2007/11/16/creating-a-new-mailbox-in-exchange-2007-with-the-new-mailbox-cmdlet-fails-with-address-list-service-not-available/

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-LiModerator Monday, August 14, 2017 1:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by lkubler Monday, August 14, 2017 2:41 PM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:58 AM
  • Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the response.  It looks to me that all of the services are running, was going to reboot the server over the weekend but it slipped my mind.

Looking at that link to the blog site, I wasn't able to find anything of significance.

One other thing I tried was to create the distribution group in Active Directory Users and Computers first.  But when I tried to create it in Exchange Management Console and pick the group I already created, it didn't show in the list.  In fact, none of my distribution lists showed up.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Linn

Monday, August 14, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Permissions, that's what I can think of.

Make sure your account is in Organization Management role group and Recipient Management role group. 

By the way, what's the detailed version of Exchange 2007? Get-ExchangeServer | FL *admin*

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:02 AM
  • Hi Lynn,

Get-ExchangeServer returned: Version 8.1 (Build 240.6).

Looking at the Exchange Security Groups I see that the domain administrator is a member of the Exchange Organization Administrators, which is a member of all the other Exchange Administrators groups.

However, I thought of something else.  This is a pretty old server, I checked and the disk holding the database files only has 1.7GB free space.  Think that might have something to do with it? 

Probably should be asked in a different thread but, how difficult/dangerous is it to move the database file location?  This is a virtualized server so it should be easy to add another disk with more space.  But I don't want to blow up my email server if it risky.

Thanks,

Linn

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:10 PM
  • 8.1.240.6? What a archaic version of Exchange Server 2007 which was released 10 years ago! I very very strongly recommend Exchange 2007 SP3 at least. Maybe upgrading Exchange server could solve your issue.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24111

For your question, it's not a big deal to move the database file location. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201703(v=exchg.80).aspx

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li

• Proposed as answer by Lynn-LiModerator Friday, August 25, 2017 3:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by lkubler Monday, August 28, 2017 5:46 PM
    Wednesday, August 16, 2017 1:33 AM
  • Hi Lynn,

Sorry for the delayed response.  I was able to increase the disk size on the disk that holds the database files, gotta love VMware.  Once I gave the system more room to work with I was able to create my distribution list.

Thanks much for the help,

Linn

• Marked as answer by lkubler Monday, August 28, 2017 5:48 PM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 5:48 PM