Can not remove System Attendant Mailbox and System Mailbox in Exchange 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I performed a migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010, everything is ok with the Exchange 2010 server, but when I try to uninstall the Exchange 2003 server, a message appear, there are mailboxes in the mailbox store and I need to move them or disable them. The mailboxes are System Attendant mailbox, System Mailbox and smtp.

I tried to move, delete or disable them, but they send me a message that couldn't be deleted or moved, I can't do anything and I need to uninstall the Exchange 2003 server from the organization.

What could I do?

Regards,

Fernando Espíndola
    Monday, March 1, 2010 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Fernando,
    You need to check in ADSIEDIT for connected mailboxes.
    All you need to do is, check for the "HomeMDDBL" attribute in the mailbox store's properties in ADSIEDIT.
    You will have email accounts that you had created but no emails were sent to that mailbox (Ex. test mailboxes). You need to remove the mailboxes from there.

To do this, you need to go to:
    ADSIEDIT->Configuration->Services->Microsoft Exchange->Org name->First administrative group->servers-><server name>->Information Store->Storage group->Mailbox store. Go to properties and look for the attribute that is mentioned above.

All the best :)
    • Proposed as answer by lazyadminhere Monday, March 1, 2010 11:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Monday, March 8, 2010 1:48 AM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 11:41 PM
  • HI,

U need to dismount the store & delete the store. This will delete the system mailboxes.
    Delete the connectors from the server otherwise not able to un-install.
    After that u can un-install Exch.

Regards
    Anand S
    Friday, March 5, 2010 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Fernando,
    You need to check in ADSIEDIT for connected mailboxes.
    All you need to do is, check for the "HomeMDDBL" attribute in the mailbox store's properties in ADSIEDIT.
    You will have email accounts that you had created but no emails were sent to that mailbox (Ex. test mailboxes). You need to remove the mailboxes from there.

To do this, you need to go to:
    ADSIEDIT->Configuration->Services->Microsoft Exchange->Org name->First administrative group->servers-><server name>->Information Store->Storage group->Mailbox store. Go to properties and look for the attribute that is mentioned above.

All the best :)
    • Proposed as answer by lazyadminhere Monday, March 1, 2010 11:41 PM
    Monday, March 1, 2010 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

Any updates?
    Frank Wang
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:03 AM
  • HI,

U need to dismount the store & delete the store. This will delete the system mailboxes.
    Delete the connectors from the server otherwise not able to un-install.
    After that u can un-install Exch.

Regards
    Anand S
    Friday, March 5, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Thank you all, I used the adsi and delete the exchange server from the organization.

Anyway thank all of you.

Regards.

Fernando Espindola
    Monday, March 8, 2010 2:45 AM
  • Thank you all, I used the adsi and delete the exchange server from the organization.
    Why did you have to delete the entire Exchange server and not just remove the associated mailboxes?
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Monday, March 8, 2010 2:47 AM
  • I wanted to do this, but when I tried to delete existing accounts me the following message appeared: "The attribute can not be modified Because It is owned by the system."

I have done the following process in the same domain controller that was using the ADSIedit

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ NTDS \ Parameters, create the value Following:
    Value name: Allow System Only Change
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value data: 1

But I kept having the same problem.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:28 PM

• Login as a member of Schema Admins (preferably on the Schema Master FSMO)

Launch LDP.EXE

Connect to the Schema Master FSMO using LDP.EXE

Bind to the Schema Master using an account with Schema Admin permissions.

From the Browse menu, choose Modify

In the Modify dialog box, leave the DN field blank, and type schemaUpgradeInProgress in the Attribute field. In the Value field, enter the number 1. Click the Enter button, then click the Run button.

Close the Modify dialog box.

Launch ADSIEDIT.MSC and modify the mAPIID values for the necessary attributes. (You may need to wait for the Active Directory to replicate.)

Run LDP again, and change the value of schemaUpgradeInProgress from 1 to 0.

From the Active Directory Schema console, right click on the console and choose "Reload the Schema "
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 12:03 PM