Outlook Calendaring Issue : Meeting "Not Current", unable to accept meetingupdates.

Question

• We have 2 admin assistants for two different executives.
    Assistant "A" had scheduled a reccuring meeting earlier this year on behalf of her Boss "A" and invites was sent to 6 individuals including Boss "B" and assistant "B"
    Assistant B had accepted that meeting and the meeting was appearing on B's calendars.
    Last week Assistant "A" rescheduled one occurance of the reoccuring meeting and sent the invite to everyone.
    It appears that everyone except Boss B and assistant B's calendar is not getting updated.
    The update meeting message says on top : Meeting "not current" and there are no option to accept the meeting.
    Also displayed a message stating: "This meeting request was updated after this message was sent. You should open a later update or open the item on the calendar."
    If you click on "not current" it will bring up a pop up message : The meeting request is out of date and will now be deleted.
    This removes the update message from inbox but does not updates the meeting in the calendar.

Its causing issues of missing meetings for Boss .

Assistant B is using Outlook 2007 SP2 and is in the same time zone as of Assistant "A"
    Boss B is using Outlook 2010.
    This message of meeting not current started recently.

Please suggest a way out
    Friday, June 11, 2010 5:22 PM

All replies

• I am having this issue as well.  Did you solve this problem?
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 11:11 PM
  • Same, Same.  Some Users are ok while others get the same error.  Any updates?
    Friday, May 13, 2011 3:53 PM
  • We have 2 admin assistants for two different executives.
    Assistant "A" had scheduled a reccuring meeting earlier this year on behalf of her Boss "A" and invites was sent to 6 individuals including Boss "B" and assistant "B"
    Assistant B had accepted that meeting and the meeting was appearing on B's calendars.
    Last week Assistant "A" rescheduled one occurance of the reoccuring meeting and sent the invite to everyone.
    It appears that everyone except Boss B and assistant B's calendar is not getting updated.
    The update meeting message says on top : Meeting "not current" and there are no option to accept the meeting.
    Also displayed a message stating: "This meeting request was updated after this message was sent. You should open a later update or open the item on the calendar."
    If you click on "not current" it will bring up a pop up message : The meeting request is out of date and will now be deleted.
    This removes the update message from inbox but does not updates the meeting in the calendar.

Its causing issues of missing meetings for Boss .

Assistant B is using Outlook 2007 SP2 and is in the same time zone as of Assistant "A"
    Boss B is using Outlook 2010.
    This message of meeting not current started recently.

Please suggest a way out

bounce.  Same here, for years now.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 5:25 PM
  • I get around the problem by doing the following:

1.  Instead of trying to reschedule one of the recurring event, I make a copy of one of the event.  For example, if my Monday meeting falls 1/2/2012, which is a company holiday, I select the 1/2/2012 event right-click to create a copy of it.  This will put both events side-by-side on the same day.  They look the same but the new one will not have the 'recurring' icon next to it.

2.  Edit the new event, set the new date/time, and save.  This new event is not tied to the old recurring sequence, so you won't get the error.

3.  Delete the old event (e.g., 1/2/2012 in my example) and allow notification sent to others.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Yeah, but that won't really work for us, we have too many recurring meetings and this issue is sporadic.

As of late (since our SBS2011 migration), we have been deleting all recurring meetings and sending out new ones with instruction for the user to manually remove the bad meeting.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:53 PM
  • wow, I have this problem as well.  Sure wish there was a solution.  is there any troubleshooting info from my particular situation I could provide that would help?  my problem occurs with my boss, who uses a Mac, updates a recurring meeting (just today he cancelled this week's instance of the recurring series).  Sometimes I get the proper update, and sometimes i get the "Not Current" message.  the real kicker is that no one else on his staff reports this problem, just me, and it only happens about 10% of the time.  

I just had my laptop re-imaged last week, going from Windows 7 x86 to Windows 7 64-bit, but have been running Office 2010 the whole time.  I guess at this point i can rule out an OS problem.

if there's anything else i can provide i'm happy to try to do so.  this is quite frustrating!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 3:26 PM
  • We have a similar issue but it's mainly to do with changing a re-occuring meeting using a mobile device.  When it's changed in outlook we get the updates to all mailboxes.  If it's changed on a mobile device then the users are getting a "Not Current".  
    Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:45 PM
  • I can't believe that this issue is two years old and nobody has a solution.  I also have this issue with meeting updates coming to the US from a UK vendor.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Yeah, but that won't really work for us, we have too many recurring meetings and this issue is sporadic.

As of late (since our SBS2011 migration), we have been deleting all recurring meetings and sending out new ones with instruction for the user to manually remove the bad meeting.

Update:

Since our SBS2011 migration, the migration of nearly all of our users to Outlook 2010 and then finally the recreating of all recurring meetings, I have not had any more complaints about unable to update the Calendar.  That being said, most of our users know the 'tricks' to accept meetings/changes when Outlook won't work, so there still may be a straggler or two.

Monday, September 10, 2012 8:43 PM
  • I'm having the same problem - it started last week, so I'm guessing there was a Windows Update that caused this for me. I'm using Outlook 2010 for PC and I have many users on Macs and Outlook 2007. This is a big hassle.
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:00 PM
  • We also have the same issue with only one user who receives an update from the team meeting and gets the message "not current".  The only thing I can imagine is that the teamleader should recreate the recurrent meeting requests, perhaps there it got corrupted.

But still it doesn't explain why the other users won't get error messages.

Friday, February 1, 2013 12:54 PM
  • We are experiencing the same problems.  Exchange 2003 (mailboxes) and Exchange 2010 (CAS/Hub Transport) with all clients Outlook 2007. Some users receive a recurring meeting invitation but do not see anything on their personal calendars (not pending -- it does not matter if user Accepts meeting request).

Any remedy from Microsoft/others would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn D. Ewing

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:59 PM
  • We just had a migration to Office365 from a different provider and are experiencing this issue as well. The old service was an Exchange 2010 hosted service. The users have Outlook 2010.
    Tuesday, January 14, 2014 4:57 PM
  • We just recently migrated from Apptix (Exchange 2007) to 365 and are also experiencing this issue as well. It only happens on recurring meetings and some people are able to accept the new change while others aren't. Recreating the recurring meeting doesn't seem to fix it either.

Does anyone else have an answer?

Friday, February 14, 2014 11:51 PM
  • We had this happen to us for about a year. The issue seemed to happen when a calendar's delegate would update a meeting request on a shared calendar. If delegate managing the invite was also a recipient on the calendar invite, they would recieve the "Not Current" error. This was solved by mapping using powershell to give the delegate full access but not automap. Then, go to control panel > mail > Email Accounts > Change > More Settings > Advanced Tab > Then adding the account manually. Mapping the account this way, creates another calendar for the account, that when managed, isn't managed by a recipient.
    Friday, December 12, 2014 9:15 PM
  • We used Skykick for the migration and are having the same calendar entry issues when someone tries to modify any entry. However, the problem is with Public Folder calendars. The owner can change the date, but the recipients do not have the option to accept and it says  Meeting "Not Current"

Has anyone found a solid solution. Deleting the entry created prior to the migration and creating a new one is not a good option as the recipients appear to have to delete the original entries manually.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:53 PM
  • I have also had this issue a few times over the last few years.  Same situation with a re-occurring meeting.  I could even re-schedule individual meetings and send out and the option to accept is not presented.

Weird fact, there are two newer employees that were added after the original meeting was created and they were the only ones that were able to accept. 

Would be great to hear a fix instead of the delete - recreate option.  Or why this is happening to avoid the issue in the future.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 5:36 PM
  • I have this same issue exactly as described above.  My boss will update a meeting and I do get the email notifying me of the update, however, my calendar remains unchanged because the email says that it is "not current" and that "this meeting request was updated after this message was sent" which is not the case. And it doesn't happen for the other members of our group who are invited to the meeting. So my calendar remains unchanged and I have to be careful to remember the changed information that was listed in the email, i.e., meeting room or time, so that I don't miss the meeting.

Friday, March 20, 2015 7:54 PM
  • Hi, We are receiving exactly the same issue with one of our users, strange thing is when viewing the meeting update on a mobile phone she can accept the meeting change fine but when it is first received in outlook it is showing "meeting not current" and the only option is to delete the meeting. Other users receiving the same meeting are fine. This must be something to do with an outlook profile or the users profile on the exchange. Deleting and creating the meeting is not an option as this is a recurring meeting with other attendees. Has anyone come up with a fix for this as of yet?

Thanks

Friday, April 24, 2015 10:26 AM
  • I never posted back after I found the solution, but the fix for us was completely removing the event and recreating it from scratch.

This requires some coordination...

The thing to keep in mind though is that the original meeting organizer has to send out the cancellation email and NOT create a brand new one until everyone that's on the meeting has deleted the old one manually (they will not be able to delete the event from the cancellation email) from their calendar first. When the meeting attendees delete the calendar from their account, they should make sure to notify the meeting organizer as well.

After the meeting organizer receives all the cancellations, he can then recreate the meeting and all future updates will update normally. This was only an issue after we migrated from Exchange 2007 to 2013.

Hope this helps someone.

Friday, April 24, 2015 10:57 PM
  • Hi, is there any solution that does not require deleting the meeting? This is a meeting sent out by one of our Exec's and it would not be practical to delete this as there are a few attendees. I find it strange that this would be only happening to one of the attendees but the solution is to remove the meeting for all users? Thanks
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:46 AM
  • So I found another workaround that worked better for me, while I try to find a permanent fix. I was personally having this problem and nobody else was in my group. The workaround that worked best for me without bothering my boss's boss is below.

1. Open the entire series and decline it.

2. Have a coworker or attendee forward the series to me.

3. Accept the series.

It's not ideal, but it's better than asking my managers to completely delete and recreate invites every time there's an update.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:38 PM
  • That solution has been the best workaround for me too. Thanks Lucas 
    Thursday, July 2, 2015 12:12 PM