none
Public Folder Replication Issues RRS feed

• Question

• We seem to have some issues with public folder replication between our 2003 server and our new 2010 server.

They've been running in parallel for several weeks now and I added the new server to the replica list of all public folders on day one.

I've just been called by a department who thought some contacts were missing from one of their public folders, and sure enough on the new server there are 390 contacts, on the 2003 server there are 1600.

I've exported it to a PST to be on the safe side, so now that I have a known problem folder, what is the best troubleshooting step to go through to try and force it to replicate/backfill please?

My concern is that this isn't going to be the only folder.

Monday, July 25, 2011 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hello Paul,

Make sure that Mail flow is working between 2003 to 2010. Cause public folder replication works on Mail flow.

Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:16 AM
  • Looks like it's related to the Categories on some of our contacts/public folders being corrupt, or rather incompatible wit Exchange 2010.

I've bumped up the logging so it's starting to give me a reasonable idea which folders have issues, though fixing the issues isn't simple - seems to be a case of "export to PST, delete the folder, recreate it, import from PST".

Monday, July 25, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Well that's the easiest way to get it going :)
    I would suggest you run the New-PublicFolderDatabaseRepairRequest once Import is done.
    It will remove the corruption from the folders.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff625221.aspx
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2010/08/23/3410708.aspx

Cheers,

Gulab | MCITP: Exchange 2010-2007 | Skype: Gulab.Mallah | Blog: www.ExchangeRanger.Blogspot.com
    Monday, July 25, 2011 11:36 AM
  • Ok what seems to be working so far is to put diagnostic logging on the defaults and then:

Get-PublicFolder "\folder-name" -recurse | Update-Public-Folder -Server 2010Server

This seems to go through the backfill and if there is an error within that folder hierarchy I can then turn up diagnostic logging and get some idea of where to start looking.

Appreciate a sanity check that this isn't going to wreck anything though - I have to say Public Folders are my personal Exchange hell as they seem so flaky compared to everything else in Exchange.

Monday, July 25, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Seems the culprit is the "Categories" on a bunch of folders.  For some reason when I look at those items and group by Category there are two sets of "None" which clearly isn't right.

Selecting each group, setting the category to something, then clearing it, then updating the public folder replica seems to work but it doesn't exactly scale if you have lots of folders with this problem - does anyone know of a way to automate this process?

Monday, July 25, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Right so today I did the "Move all replicas" on our Exchange 2003 PF store to our Exchange 2010 box.

Because pretty much everything was already being replicated the "instances" tab is pretty much empty now except for a dozen or so default folders such as OAB Version 2/3a/4, schema-root, storeevents and so forth.

I know not to be in a rush but would you expect these to take a little longer?  They're small so I see no obvious reason why.  There are no replication errors in the server logs with logging on the default level.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:43 PM