none
Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Exchange 2010 SP3 with all mailboxes.  I installed Exchange 2013 RU23 on new hardware.  I was curious what the EAC would look like so started it and logged.  Looks like O365 admin center.  When I went to recipients and mailboxes all of our mailboxes were listed.  Again being curious I logged into OWA on the Exchange 2013 and all my mail was there.  I hadn't started a migration batch yet.  Is this normal?  

Thank you,

Wade

Wade Harris

Friday, November 8, 2019 6:05 PM

Answers

• I have Exchange 2010 SP3 with all mailboxes.  I installed Exchange 2013 RU23 on new hardware.  I was curious what the EAC would look like so started it and logged.  Looks like O365 admin center.  When I went to recipients and mailboxes all of our mailboxes were listed.  Again being curious I logged into OWA on the Exchange 2013 and all my mail was there.  I hadn't started a migration batch yet.  Is this normal?  

Thank you,

Wade

Wade Harris

2013 will proxy to 2010 mailboxes. It will also show the existing mailboxes, yes. All Sounds normal. 
    • Marked as answer by WadeHarris Friday, November 8, 2019 6:28 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2019 6:15 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.  Do I still need to do a migration batch?  I want to decommission the Exchange 2010.

Wade Harris

Yes, you will need to move the mailboxes to the 2013 servers.

• Marked as answer by WadeHarris Friday, November 8, 2019 6:35 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2019 6:34 PM

All replies

Thank you,

Wade

Wade Harris

2013 will proxy to 2010 mailboxes. It will also show the existing mailboxes, yes. All Sounds normal. 
    • Marked as answer by WadeHarris Friday, November 8, 2019 6:28 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2019 6:15 PM
  • Thank you for your answer.  Do I still need to do a migration batch?  I want to decommission the Exchange 2010.

Wade Harris

Friday, November 8, 2019 6:27 PM

Wade Harris

Yes, you will need to move the mailboxes to the 2013 servers.

• Marked as answer by WadeHarris Friday, November 8, 2019 6:35 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2019 6:34 PM
  • Hi Wade,

It's great that you get useful information from our forum. Additionally, You can use Exchange Deployment Assistant tool to know more about how to upgrade from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 11, 2019 2:31 AM
  • Here is a summary about this thread, hope more people can get information from it.

Issue Symptom

==============================================

I have Exchange 2010 SP3 with all mailboxes.  I installed Exchange 2013 RU23 on new hardware. 

When I went to recipients and mailboxes all of our mailboxes were listed.  Again being curious I logged into OWA on the Exchange 2013 and all my mail was there.  I hadn't started a migration batch yet.  Is this normal?

Do I still need to do a migration batch?  I want to decommission the Exchange 2010.

Summary

When Exchange 2010 coexists with Exchange 2013, we can see all existing mailboxes on Exchange 2013. We have to move mailboxes to Exchange 2013 before uninstalling Exchange 2010.

Reference Link

Exchange Deployment Assistant

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Sunday, November 17, 2019 5:25 PM