none
Exchange mail forwarding when AD user account is disabled

Question

• Hi,

I'm digging up answers to a couple of Exchange user questions that have been thrown my way.

Assuming Exchange 2003 sp2 with Active Directory 2003 native level.  User has an associated mailbox.  When the user account is disabled:

1.  Does the Inbox continue to receive email messages?

2.  At what point does this Inbox start returning NDR messages to senders?

3.  If I have set up "server side" mail forwarding to an external address using an AD contact and Delivery Restrictions tab in ADU&C, does the server side forward continue to work?

4.  If I also set up an client-side rule in Outlook to forward messages to another Internal mailbox, does this rule continue to function after the Ad account is disabled?

What's the "best" way to handle mail forwarding for an employee who leaves "on good terms" i.e. bosses say it's OK for forward their company email to an outside account for a few weeks?

Thank you for your thoughts. 

RS

Portland, Oregon USA

Thursday, July 31, 2008 12:08 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Robert,

1.    If the User account is disabled, the inbox is still able to receive emails messages.

2.    You can set Delivery Restrictions to block others send email to the mailbox and generate NDR. (For example, usera is disabled, you can set only allow usera to send email to the mailbox)

3.    If you have set the Delivery Restrictions in the question 2, the message cannot be forwarded to the external user as seems the Delivery Restrictions is checked prior to the Delivery Options (Forward setting).

4.    I think that the Rule will still work as the Rule is saved in the Rules table of Inbox folder

Regarding your last question, would you please let me know the requirements to forward message to an external account. For example, whether the message needs to be save on the original mailbox?

Mike

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:16 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Robert,

1.    If the User account is disabled, the inbox is still able to receive emails messages.

2.    You can set Delivery Restrictions to block others send email to the mailbox and generate NDR. (For example, usera is disabled, you can set only allow usera to send email to the mailbox)

3.    If you have set the Delivery Restrictions in the question 2, the message cannot be forwarded to the external user as seems the Delivery Restrictions is checked prior to the Delivery Options (Forward setting).

4.    I think that the Rule will still work as the Rule is saved in the Rules table of Inbox folder

Regarding your last question, would you please let me know the requirements to forward message to an external account. For example, whether the message needs to be save on the original mailbox?

Mike

Friday, August 01, 2008 3:16 AM
  • Thanks Mike, I appreciate the information!

One question: after I disable an account (that is, an mailbox-enabled account in AD), is there a period of time after which the mailbox cannot receive messages, or does the mailbox stay active until the account is actually "deleted".

-RobertSinger

Monday, August 04, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Hi Robert,

The mailbox will stay active until the account is deleted. Or you can refer the method which I provided in the previous post to disable the mailbox to receive messages.

Mike

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 2:05 AM