Print Server - unable to access the printers through client machines. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

We have configured the print server on Windows Server 2008 having 2 No’s of printer with same model of HP m2727nf   Printer1 and Printer2. We are able to access printers through \\hostname (computer1) in client machines, but unable to access printers through \\192.168.1.1 IP address.

On Server we can access through \\192.168.1.1 and able to see both the printer – PRINTER1 and PRINTER2.

Need your help on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Pavi

• Edited by Pavi_Pavi Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:47 AM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 9:46 AM

Answers

• I'll make some assumptions here and you tell me when I am wrong.

The print server static IP is 192.168.1.1

On the client executing "ping -a 192.168.1.1" returns the print server name.

On the client executing "ping PRINTSERVER" returns 192.168.1.1

On the PRINTSERVER, you can see the shares using \\localhost 

Did you add any shared folders on the server for validation by the clients?

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

• Marked as answer by Pavi_Pavi Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:17 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 10:47 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Before going further, please use nslookup command to confirm the IP address of this printer. Then please check whether you can ping this IP address successfully in client. If ping unsuccessfully, what is the error?

Would you please let know me know it is a static IP address on the server? Please check if your firewall is blocking network access to spoolsv.exe.

Also, please enable “Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP” option in Advanced TCP/IP Settings dialog box. And then disable TCP/IPv6 setting (Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)) in server. Clean DNS cache (Open CMD-> type ipconfig-> refreshdns). Then please check whether this issues still exist.

In addition, would you please let me know whether there any certain errors when you use IP address to access printers in client? Also, please let me know detailed DNS configurations and print server deployments, those will help us to narrow down this issues.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Friday, October 4, 2013 3:59 AM
  • Hi Justin,

we are able to ping print server IP from client I am getting ping response also..

let me try with the other things and keep you posted.

Thanks..

Regards,

Pavi 

Thanks & Regards, Pavan

Friday, October 4, 2013 7:47 AM
  • Hi Justin,

Both Print Server and Printer assigned with the static ip's. Firewall is off in Print server.

while accessing print server from client machine , im getting an error , attached screenshot for your reference.

Thanks & Regards, Pavan

Friday, October 4, 2013 8:28 AM
  • This looks like a networking issue or configuration issue.  Can you access shared folders on the print server from the clients using the IP? 

Friday, October 4, 2013 6:30 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

I am unable to access the print server from client machine using ip address, but i can access the print shared folders/printers share(\\192.168.1.1 - printer 1 and printer2) in print server using ip address \\192.168.1.1

I am able to access the print server share folders/printers(printer1 and Printer2) using hotname(ex : \\computer1) from client machines.

Thanks & Regards, Pavan

Saturday, October 5, 2013 5:50 AM
  • I'll make some assumptions here and you tell me when I am wrong.

The print server static IP is 192.168.1.1

On the client executing "ping -a 192.168.1.1" returns the print server name.

On the client executing "ping PRINTSERVER" returns 192.168.1.1

On the PRINTSERVER, you can see the shares using \\localhost 

Did you add any shared folders on the server for validation by the clients?

• Marked as answer by Pavi_Pavi Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:17 AM
    Monday, October 7, 2013 10:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Alan,

Thanks for your inputs.

The print server static IP is 192.168.1.1 : Yes the Print server have static IP

On the client executing "ping -a 192.168.1.1" returns the print server name : Yes ping response returns to the Print Server Hostname(COMPUTER1)

On the client executing "ping PRINTSERVER" returns 192.168.1.1 : Yes it returns to print server static ip(192.168.1.1)

On the PRINTSERVER, you can see the shares using \\localhost : I can see the two shared printers Printer 1 and Printer 2. When i use this cmd \\localhost

Alan : Thanks for your support ..The issue got resolved....

Thanks & Regards, Pavan

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:17 AM