none
Outlook 2007 - Inbox Folder moved under Deleted Items Folder

Question

• I realize the Inbox is a system folder and can not be moved, but we have a user whose Inbox has been moved to under his Deleted Items Folder.  I right click the Inbox folder and the Move Inbox option is grayed out the way it should be.  The location path of the Inbox Folder is shown as \\Mailbox - UserName\DeletedItems\Inbox.  I am curious as to how this happened, but most of all I'd like to know how to get his Inbox back where it belongs and recover the subfolders under the Inbox that have disappeared.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that the Inbox folder locates under Deleted Items folder.

This issue may occur if the user’s store table has been changed.

In this situation, please take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Please first download MFCMAPI tool from the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55FDFFD7-1878-4637-9808-1E21ABB3AE37&displaylang=en

Then ran mfcmapi and click Session, click Logon and Display Store Table, click OK to logon the user mailbox.

Double click the mailbox of the user

Expand of Root Container and then expand Top of information store

Expand Deleted Items and then right click on Inbox and click on copy

Right click on Top of information store and click on Paste, select both options: subfolders and Move_Folder and click on OK

After that, please close the tool and open Outlook to check this issue.

Thanks

Allen

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 2:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that the Inbox folder locates under Deleted Items folder.

This issue may occur if the user’s store table has been changed.

In this situation, please take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Please first download MFCMAPI tool from the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=55FDFFD7-1878-4637-9808-1E21ABB3AE37&displaylang=en

Then ran mfcmapi and click Session, click Logon and Display Store Table, click OK to logon the user mailbox.

Double click the mailbox of the user

Expand of Root Container and then expand Top of information store

Expand Deleted Items and then right click on Inbox and click on copy

Right click on Top of information store and click on Paste, select both options: subfolders and Move_Folder and click on OK

After that, please close the tool and open Outlook to check this issue.

Thanks

Allen

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 2:47 AM
  •  

Allen,

OK so we tried the Inbox move you explained above and instead of putting it in the Top of Information Store it was put at the Root Container (yes, it was a dumb mistake). How do we get the Inbox into the Top of Information store as it won't be copied out of Root Container now. We would really hate to have to recreate the mailbox so any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Thursday, September 04, 2008 12:29 AM
  • Hi,

I have tested on the lab, so far I didn't find any solution to fix this issue without recreate the mailbox.

So, please use Exmerge to export the message, then recreate the mailbox of the user.

Thanks

Allen

Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:03 AM