none
cannot run eseutil

Question

• hello,

I have dismounted the database and I am trying to run eseutil /mh however I am getting this error:

[PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v14\bin>eseutil /mh "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v14\Mail
    box\Mailbox Database 1410428987.edb"

Extensible Storage Engine Utilities for Microsoft(R) Exchange Server
    Version 14.01
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Initiating FILE DUMP mode...
    Error: Access to source database 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 1410428987.edb
    ' failed with Jet error -1811.

Operation terminated with error -1811 (JET_errFileNotFound, File not found) after 0.16 seconds.

any idea please ?

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 6:56 AM

All replies

• On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 06:56:40 +0000, acmsoft wrote:

>I have dismounted the database and I am trying to run eseutil /mh however I am getting this error:
    >
    >
    >
    >[PS] C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v14\bin>eseutil /mh "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v14\Mail box\Mailbox Database 1410428987.edb" Extensible Storage Engine Utilities for Microsoft(R) Exchange Server Version 14.01 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Initiating FILE DUMP mode... Error: Access to source database 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 1410428987.edb ' failed with Jet error -1811. Operation terminated with error -1811 (JET_errFileNotFound, File not found) after 0.16 seconds.
    >
    >
    >
    >any idea please ?

Do you see the file if you do this?

dir "c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\v14\Mail box\Mailbox
    Database 1410428987.edb"

The -1811 error is just telling you that the file can't be found.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Thanks Rich it was due to a change in filename as you told me

However even if the database is dismounted I am getting this error

Version 14.01

Error: Access to source database 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 1410428987\Mai
    lbox Database 1410428987.edb' failed with Jet error -1032.

Operation terminated with error -1032 (JET_errFileAccessDenied, Cannot access file, the file is locked or in use) after
    0.0 seconds.

Maybe I need to disable automatic mounting of the database with powershell command and restart ?

• Proposed as answer by Victor Vivas Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:43 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Victor Vivas Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:43 PM
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 7:23 PM
  • On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 19:23:39 +0000, acmsoft wrote:

>
    >
    >Thanks Rich it was due to a change in filename as you told me
    >
    >However even if the database is dismounted I am getting this error
    >
    >
    >
    >Extensible Storage Engine Utilities for Microsoft(R) Exchange Server Version 14.01 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Initiating FILE DUMP mode... Error: Access to source database 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 1410428987\Mai lbox Database 1410428987.edb' failed with Jet error -1032. Operation terminated with error -1032 (JET_errFileAccessDenied, Cannot access file, the file is locked or in use) after 0.0 seconds.
    >
    >
    >
    >Maybe I need to disable automatic mounting of the database with powershell command and restart ?

Or run Process Explorer and just use the "Finf" menu. It'll tell you
    the PID of the process:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 10:39 PM
  • It is asking me to enter a handle or DLL substring, the database is still unmounted.
    Friday, January 07, 2011 4:38 AM
  • On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 04:38:15 +0000, acmsoft wrote:

>It is asking me to enter a handle or DLL substring, the database is still unmounted.

Put 'Mailbox Database 1410428987.edb' into the edit box.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, January 07, 2011 4:42 AM
  • I done CTRL + F and typed Mailbox Database 1410428987.edb but nothing found
    Friday, January 07, 2011 4:46 AM
  • Ok removed the edb and found 2 processes which when killed ( explorer.exe ) removed the taskbar.

Beleive it or not however I am still having the same file cannot be accessed error !

Friday, January 07, 2011 4:49 AM
  • On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 04:49:24 +0000, acmsoft wrote:

>Ok removed the edb and found 2 processes which when killed ( explorer.exe ) removed the taskbar.
    >
    >Beleive it or not however I am still having the same file cannot be accessed error !

Reboot the server.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Friday, January 07, 2011 5:18 PM
  • you can copy the database to another localization

try the eseutil over the copy database , when finish

then the original database rename to .edbold

and copy the esutiled database in the same localization of original database

then mount database and finish.

mcse 200x + mesaging 2000 2003 2007 2010
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 3:18 PM
  • The answer here for any one who googled this is to run the command prompt as administrator to fix the above errors.. 
    • Proposed as answer by fedosomwan Monday, August 04, 2014 1:41 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:17 PM
  • PLease advise the last answer for the folling issue:

Error: Access to source database '*******************
    mailbox Database 1410428987.edb' failed with Jet error -1032.

Operation terminated with error -1032 (JET_errFileAccessDenied, Cannot access file, the file is locked or in use) after
    0.0 seconds.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 7:11 PM
  • There is some program locking that DB and usually I would say hey the DB must be mounted so Exchange has a lock on it but you say its not and therefore more than likely I would guess that its the backup product locking onto the database because its trying to execute a backup.   So I would ;

1. I would stop your backup agents on the Exchange server to see if that helps

2. You could also find an unlocker product to force whatever product that is locking the file to let go.

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Monday, February 03, 2014 9:48 PM
  • Thanks Rich it was due to a change in filename as you told me

However even if the database is dismounted I am getting this error

Version 14.01

Error: Access to source database 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 1410428987\Mai
    lbox Database 1410428987.edb' failed with Jet error -1032.

0.0 seconds.

Maybe I need to disable automatic mounting of the database with powershell command and restart ?

Buenas tardes; yo logre solucionar la incidencia cambiando la ruta desde la cual estaba invocando el comando eseutil, y coloque la ruta donde estaba almacenada mi base de datos por ejemplo 
    c:\ Archivos de programa \ Exchsrvr \ Bin> eseutil /d
    cambio por 
    c:\ Archivos de programa \ Exchsrvr \ almacenamiento de base de datos\eseutil /d name.edb 
    con eso puede ejecutar el comando

Victor Vivas
    • Proposed as answer by Victor Vivas Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:49 PM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:49 PM
  • Something is holding that database open and usual suspects are either its mounted in Exchange or your BACKUP or AV product has a lock on the file.  If you check those items and are sure that its NOT mounted in Exchange you can find an unlock utility and break any connections another product has on it and of course you could do your suggestion as well.

Also check to ensure you have not left another window open trying to connect to it since that could be the cause as well

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 with Lucid8's DigiScope

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:01 PM
  • Acm, what is your goal here?  You are dumping the headers of the database, but is that all you need?
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:29 PM
  • Worked fo me.

Regards,

Jonny Moura

MCP:W2k3| MCSA:W7,W2k8,W2k12| ITILv3

If useful, rate it!

Thursday, January 21, 2016 8:34 PM
  • ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Thank You !
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 12:47 AM