none
exchange 2010 offline address RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all

I have a customer who uses Exchange 2010 and currently the offline address is configured to update everyday at 4am, the customer has asked if this can be done more frequently. I know I can customise the update however are the any drawbacks that I need to be aware of, i.e. network traffic.

The reason the customer has made the request is down to the fact that when a new mailbox is created the user does not appear on the GAL, I guess you can download the address book in outlook manually but do you need to update the offline address book in change before it will add any new changes?

Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:49 PM

Answers

• You can certainly change the OAB update time.  Unless you have an extraordinary amount of mail-enabled objects, I tend not to worry about performance.

Note that regardless of how often you update the OAB on the server, the clients will still need to download it and they only do that automatically every 24 hours. Of course, that can be done manually on the client at any time.

And yes, until the OAB is updated on the server, the cache mode clients will not see the changes.

More info:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841273

Sunday, January 2, 2011 2:30 PM
  • I usually set things to regenerate once an hour and I set the polling interval on the OAB virtual directory to 60 minutes. Like Andy said though if you have a very large OAB this may not scale.
    My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
    My Blog - www.briandesmond.com
    Monday, January 3, 2011 7:26 AM

All replies

• You can certainly change the OAB update time.  Unless you have an extraordinary amount of mail-enabled objects, I tend not to worry about performance.

Note that regardless of how often you update the OAB on the server, the clients will still need to download it and they only do that automatically every 24 hours. Of course, that can be done manually on the client at any time.

And yes, until the OAB is updated on the server, the cache mode clients will not see the changes.

More info:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841273

Sunday, January 2, 2011 2:30 PM
  • I usually set things to regenerate once an hour and I set the polling interval on the OAB virtual directory to 60 minutes. Like Andy said though if you have a very large OAB this may not scale.
    My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
    My Blog - www.briandesmond.com
    Monday, January 3, 2011 7:26 AM