Problem accessing shares on Windows 2008 Server from Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to all,

first sorry for my english but I'm not native speaker.

We're experiencing a problem accessing to Windows 2008 server shares from Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server ( or R2 ).

But from Vista, Seven or 2008 Server, no problem.

We're using DFS for accessing to any shares on all file servers ( Files servers are Server 2008, same install ( sysprep ) ), but the problem appear only on one server. Everything come fine if we reboot the server but only for days or hours.

Any idea ?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 11:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

So the issue is that the Windows XP computers cannot access one of the file servers in DFS targets, which running Windows 2008. It will back to work for some time if we reboot the server. If there is any misunderstanding please let us know.

I would like to know the error message when accessing the server with \\servername and \\IPaddress.

Meanwhile as the issue occurs on a specific server, have you checked third party programs?

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

So the issue is that the Windows XP computers cannot access one of the file servers in DFS targets, which running Windows 2008. It will back to work for some time if we reboot the server. If there is any misunderstanding please let us know.

I would like to know the error message when accessing the server with \\servername and \\IPaddress.

Meanwhile as the issue occurs on a specific server, have you checked third party programs?

Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:37 AM
  • Hi,

I m experiencing the same issue. The slight change is that, in my scenario there is only one file server with Win2008R2, and a drive is mapped to users home folders which exists on domain based dfs share. There are some XP users whose drives are not mapped but the situation is same for both type of users. When a user logs in it's expolrer gets hanged. At the same time Win7 clients were accessing the share. Clients are using WinXP SP3. The reboot situation is the same that if we reboots the file server the situation becomes stable. We are using Symmantec with n/w scanning configured. We can't check for \\servername & \\IPaddress as there is no explorer.  

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:28 PM