none
CPU usage increases to 50% when I use "Get-WmiObject", why it is happening? RRS feed

• Question

• CPU usage got increase when I use Get-WmiObject, any reason behind that, or is it a bug?

After some search, I found out the alternative of this command which is Get-CimInstance but is also using the same space. Is there any alternative available to mitigate this issue? 
    Friday, July 3, 2020 12:53 PM

All replies

• CPU usage is not any indication of a problem.  Take some time to learn how this works and how to interpret CPU usage.  High CPU is a good thing in most cases.  Your reaction is a common reaction with most people who have little or no formal technical training in computer engineering.

I suggest searching for articles on "performance monitoring" and read about how to interpret CPU usage under various circumstances.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, July 3, 2020 3:17 PM
  • Dbshah, could you check this link and update from that topic?

The opinion expressed by me is not an official position of Microsoft

Friday, July 3, 2020 8:36 PM
  • Which wmi class?  win32_product will verify every msi.

Saturday, July 4, 2020 2:40 PM
  • Hi,
    As this thread has been quiet for a while, so here is a quick question.Was your issue resolved? 
    If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,
    Yang Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 6, 2020 1:41 AM
  • Yes true, I am wondering to know when the Get-WmiObject command hit why CPU usage reaches 100%. 

If you have any doc or suggestion to refer to get more insight into it, that will be helpful for me.

I am using the below-mentioned list of classes:

MicrosoftDNS_SOAType

MicrosoftDNS_NSType

MicrosoftDNS_AType

MicrosoftDNS_AAAAType

MicrosoftDNS_CNAMEType

MicrosoftDNS_MXType

MicrosoftDNS_SRVType

MicrosoftDNS_HINFOType

MicrosoftDNS_TXTType

MicrosoftDNS_ResourceRecord

Monday, July 6, 2020 6:10 AM
  • As noted above CPU usage is no gauge of performance.  You must profile the resource usage of the process to determine if this is an issue.

As noted also, pleas review the articles on performance to understand what CPU percent means.  It is no bad under most circumstances.

Low CPU and slow performance is a bad indicator.  There is no way to know what you are seeing.  DO not use high CPU to determine issues.

We cannot manage your system or diagnose it for you.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, July 6, 2020 6:31 AM
  • Thanks jvr for the detailed explanations. 

There might be a misconception in the question. I asked 2 questions. For one I got an answer that it's expected of CPU use when I hit "Get-WmiObject", right?

But I am in impression like its because of Get-WmiObject is deprecated, So is it any alternative of it? One I found Get-CimInstance, but in that, I can't find a field "SOA", so other than that, is there any alternative available?

Monday, July 6, 2020 12:07 PM
  • Please read the following to understand how to ask questions in a forum.

It is nearly impossible to answer vague questions.  Changing the question repeatedly will not get you an answer.

Get-WmiObject is not obsolete.  Results returned by Get-CimInstance are the same with additional properties that are useful.

How can we guess what "SOA" is when you have not posted any code and your question is ambiguous.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, July 6, 2020 3:08 PM
  • try to report him , i am reporting  him on all his posts
    Please refrain form spamming the forum with personal attacks just because you do not like an answer.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 8:54 AM