none
Issues Setting up IMAP on Exchange 2003

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to get IMAP setup on SBS / Exchange 2003 server, but not having much luck being able to send when connected within Outlook.

I have configured the following under the IMAP Virtual Server:

I have imported the OWA certificate and checked the option to use 128bit encryption.

Under Authentication, I have ticked the option to require SSL/TLS encryption.

Nothing is restricted under Connection.

Under the SMTP Virtual Server, the option to allow relay for authenticated users is ticked.

On the router, I have port forwarded TCP ports 993, 146 and 465 (not sure if port 465 is required though).

In Outlook (on a PC outside the network), I have configured an IMAP with the following settings:

Incoming and Outgoing mail server: name specified on certificate.

Ticked the option: 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication' and selected 'Use the same settings as my incoming mail server'.

Server ports:Incoming (IMAP): 993 using SSL encryption, Outgoing server (SMTP): 25 using TLS.

When testing the connection, I get the following error:

'Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I have tried unticking the option to 'Require SSL/TLS encryption' and used default ports but get the same error.

Please can anyone advise where I'm going wrong?!

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 10:07 AM

Answers

• Just an update for anyone with a similar setup, I got this working in the end by using the MX record name (which points to the webmail server) as the Outgoing SMTP server and setup a single webmail account to use for the authenticated logon credentials.
    • Marked as answer by icetim Friday, February 10, 2012 6:58 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 6:58 PM

All replies

• Do you get a response when you telnet on port 25 to your public IP?
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:09 PM
  • Hi,

1)

why do you use the IMAP Protocoll if using Outlook. Normally the MAPI protocoll is usined using Outlook. If using a third party mailclient using IMAP and SMTP is the right way.

2)

if using SMTP on Exchange 2003 please make sure that you don´t configure an open mailrelay or do you want to send SPAM? Please floows the configuration instructions on MS Technet: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265293/en-us

So please configure an SMTP Connector using authentification and another SMTP Port like the submissio Port 587.

regards Thomas Paetzold visit my blog on: http://sus42.wordpress.com

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

DJB00TS - No, I don't get a response when telnetting to the public IP on port 25.

Peddy1st - I need to set this up for remote email access. No, I definately do not want to configure any open relay/sent out spam, which is why I ticked the option to only relay for authenticated users in the default SMTP virtual server connector.

I'll try setting up a seperate SMTP connector for IMAP.

Thanks,

Tim

Thursday, February 09, 2012 12:18 PM
  • Hi,

Just some more information - the MX record is pointing to a webmail server and not the public IP where the SBS 2003 server is located (we are using POP3 connector to pull the emails down from the web-based email accounts). I can telnet to the IP which the MX record resolves to, but I need to use IMAP to connect to the SBS server and not the web server where the webmail accounts are hosted. Is this possible?

Thursday, February 09, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Just an update for anyone with a similar setup, I got this working in the end by using the MX record name (which points to the webmail server) as the Outgoing SMTP server and setup a single webmail account to use for the authenticated logon credentials.
    • Marked as answer by icetim Friday, February 10, 2012 6:58 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 6:58 PM